Thank you for visiting our Partner Zone. This area is an exclusive space for MYOB Partners. Find out how to Partner with MYOB.
Date: April 15 2019
Computer: Laptop - Aces Aspire V3771G
Situation: After a Windows 10 Update
Symptoms: Slow running, after the update
The Runtime Broker Process may not be working correctly - it may have been affected by the Update. This process manages the allocation of processing time to applications and processes. If it isn't working correctly - or even not at all - the computer may run very slowly.
The Runtime Broker Process can be damaged by an incomplete Update installation, or an incomplete Shutdown. This can sometimes happen on laptops - where a process fails, but the computer can still get power from the battery - so it won't shut-down and re-start. It just “hangs” even with a blank screen.
Solution: Do a “Cold Shutdown” and Restart
- First do a Shut-down
- Then remove the battery - even if the shut-down has frozen
- Also unplug the power cord - if it's connected
- Then wait 3 minutes, for the remaining power and memory to fully drain
- Next, re-connect the battery, plug-in the power cord and restart
- Your computer should then correctly install any "Update on restart" software
- After a few minutes, you should be able to log-in and run your start up programs as normal
- at your usual speed
-You can see if Runtime Broker is running correctly, by opening the Task Manager and look
for it in "Processes"
Kym Yeoward CPA - Darwin Australia
- after a frustrating afternoon on the phone to MS Support,
before I remembered Acer's suggestion.
April - last edited April
Further advice, on Good Friday - April 19th:
Problem: Windows 10 was running very slowly, from April 16 onward.
Cause: The April 15 monthly update had failed to install properly
- as when I started my laptop this morning, the "Window" box and the spinning wheel were showing,
indicating that my computer was trying to install a Windows update.
[I had previously installed the Features Update on April 1.
These Featues updates come-out twice yearly, and take around an hour to install].
Soluton: I pressed Windows+R and keyed MS Config+enter.
Whem MSConfig opened, I ran the Diagnostic tool Fix An Update Problem.
The tool then showed that it had fixed 2 update errors.
T then restarted my laptop & it's now running normally.
Kym Yeoward in Darwin Australia.
Suggestion: Take a photo of this tip on your smartphone - you might need it later !
April - last edited April
- Ensure all applications have been closed
- Press [Wondows key]+R together
- This opens the Run box
- Alongside "Open", type MSConfig then press enter
- This will open the System Configuration tool
- In the Tools tab, select Windows Troubleshooting
- This will open the Settings menu. Go down to Troubleshoot and click on Windows Update, then run the Troubleshooter
- This should find and fix any installation errors from a recent Windows Update
- Then restart your computer, as usual - it should run normally