Contributing Cover User
Australia
MichelleE
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Company File on Network Drive

We have just (reluctantly) upgraded from Premier v.19 to AccountRight 2019 due to the single touch payroll requirements, however we would like to keep our file off-line due to the amount of comments/problems people seem to be having with a cloud-based company file.

We have a NAS drive for our network, as I would assume most small business do (instead of a server).  Can anyone please tell me if they have a 'work-around' for saving a company file to a NAS.  Looking at all the MYOB notes, it states that you can't store or share company files from a NAS.  We were able to do this previously with Premier V.19, so it's frustrating that the latest MYOB doesn't have this option.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated?

For those at MYOB - I'm sure there would be many small business owners in the same situation (i.e. don't want to work with their file on-line due to outages; don't have (or want to outlay money) for a server).  Any thought to changing the software so that a company file can be savied to a NAS (for sharing across a network)???

7 REPLIES 7
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
2,000 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11642Posts

1357Kudos

1634Solutions

Re: Company File on Network Drive

Hi @MichelleE 

Unlike AccountRight v19, AccountRight 201X requires the server edition of AccountRight to be installed on the computer hosting the file to be able to share it across a network. As this requires a program to be installed, it cannot be installed nor the file located on a NAS drive.

The does mean that if you are going to be sharing the AccountRight 201X file across a network the computer hosting the file needs to be a computer. Depending on your setup you could store the file on the most powerful computer and use that as a substitute server, as opposed to having a dedicated server.

This is in part due to how AccountRight 201X uses libraries to store the company files on the computer. Libraries allow any user to locate the files without having to recall where they are saved on the computer, which many users have found a great improvement over how AccountRight v19 managed the files. At this stage I am not aware of any planned potential changes to how AccountRight 201X manages files

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Contributing Cover User MichelleE
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
MichelleE
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Neil

Thanks for your reply.

In reference to your last paragraph, we never found it an issue to find the company file on the computer so we don't see this as an improvement on how files are managed.

Can you please tell me if we were to go ONLINE would our company file still be saved in the Library of the individual computers?  We have two PC's (and possibly a third) that require read/write access/use to the same company file, so we will need any changes to the company file replicated on both PC's.  

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
2,000 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11642Posts

1357Kudos

1634Solutions

HI @MichelleE 

Within AccountRight, each library is treated separately, and all files within a library are separate to every other library. So files that are stored online, are not stored locally in the local or network library. This does mean that if the file is stored online, you need to access the file through the online library and not through the local library.

Files stored online would allow all users logged in to see all of the changes made by all users on the file

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Ultimate Partner GDay53
2,000 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
GDay53
Ultimate Partner

2363Posts

2155Kudos

517Solutions

@MichelleE 

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

Like @Neil_M  mentioned you would require the SE version loaded onto computer as a subsitute server if you want to run a network. But if you were to use the file Online you could just load the PC version on every computer and store all your backups on the NAS drive.

If my response to your query and has helped, please mark my post as a solution to help others in the future.
Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
JillL
1 Post
User
JillL
User

1Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Really disappointed that MYOB have made this "easier" for us to find our files by restricting where the company file can reside.   We also are a small business, using a NAS system for multi-user.   Like Michelle, we have NEVER had difficulty finding our own file.   Along with being unable to change the font size in 2019.1 (we do not all have young sharp eyes) we are also very reluctantly changing over only because of the STP. 

Can someone confirm if the "server" edition is more money and if anyone has a workaround for using a NAS system. 

Along with our preference to keep files on the NAS, using the file online is not an option for us as internet connection is unreliable.

Super User sholt73
912 Posts
Super User
Australia
sholt73
Super User

917Posts

555Kudos

44Solutions

my hope is that myob move to a different DB engine that allows the data to be stored on any drive/network path. this way it's so much easier to set up for us techies.

that said, I am glad to have less late-night phone calls on "where's my myob" because the Open window changed directories and it wasn't immediately present to them.

Contributing Cover User Caryn-ACES
13 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Caryn-ACES
Contributing Cover User

13Posts

12Kudos

0Solutions

I have the same problem with the font size on the new version.  Very unhappy with it. I have been asking MYOB to provide a workaround for this for years.  I will be actively looking for an alternative now.  I am 57 and have around 8-10 working years ahead of me.  Our MYOB is on a terminal server so I can't change the screen resolution without afffecting the other users on the system and stuffing up the other programs that also rely on the resolution.  Very disappointed that in this day and age, MYOB has chosen to ignore the many many users with visual disabilities.  This is a very negative outcome for us.  I actually have to go and buy stronger glasses at a cost of several hundred dollars to be able to see and use the program without headaches. 

Caryn Hill
caryn.hill@acesincorporated.org
Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post