Valued Cover User
Australia
DannyTangney
Valued Cover User

250Posts

164Kudos

16Solutions

File Size

We are using Accountright 2018.4.1 and we are suffering enormous performance problmes due to our online file size which is now about 1.3 GB.

MYOB has deiberately created a situation where every business using MYOB will start experience similar problems due to design decisions including:

• changing to a database management system which can only cope with file sizes 300-400 MB (based on support responses to other enquiries)
  • removal of the purging option when performing financial year rollover (which we attempted to no effect last night)
  • searches being performed before being given the opportunity to select the criteria e.g opening Bank Register automatically performs a month-to-date search for our primary bank account.

We have no way of reducing our file size and resolving these performance issues. 

Some support responses suggest contact a third party to purge transactions at a cost of several hundred dollars for a file size less than 500MB, and a much higher fee for file sizes such as ours. These responses are entirely unacceptable - the problem has been created by MYOB and should be resolved by MYOB.

What is MYOB doing to resolve this issue that it has created, and are there any other options to overcome this issue other than dumping MYOB ?

With not many regards,

Danny

35 REPLIES 35
Valued Cover User AndrewStephen
647 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
AndrewStephen
Valued Cover User

647Posts

408Kudos

13Solutions

Re: File Size

Hi @DannyTangney

I feel your pain and its only going to get worse.
We have a 1.2Gb data file (was 500mb) before the upgrade from v19.

We need everyone that is having issues to post on the forums as its appears to be the only way to get MYOB to listen.   I was on average 7-8 hours a week now with the constant crashes & performance issues.

Regards

Andrew

Valued Cover User DannyTangney
250 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
DannyTangney
Valued Cover User

250Posts

164Kudos

16Solutions

Thanks for the support, Andrew.

Sadly, it's not just people who are having problems now, but EVERY SINGLE MYOB USER will run into this problem eventually as their file size increases with no way to reduce it...

Cheers,

Danny

Super User sholt73
917 Posts
Super User
Australia
sholt73
Super User

917Posts

555Kudos

44Solutions

@DannyTangney wrote:

We have no way of reducing our file size and resolving these performance issues. 

Some support responses suggest contact a third party to purge transactions at a cost of several hundred dollars for a file size less than 500MB, and a much higher fee for file sizes such as ours. These responses are entirely unacceptable - the problem has been created by MYOB and should be resolved by MYOB.

my experience with sqlce is that datafile sizes of that size should not have such a large impact over performance the way myob does. this would be the queries used by myob would be the problem and I believe I saw a moderator mention a few times that this is indeed being worked on. I look forward to seeing the results of this project they mentioned. it would be a nice change of pace to be able to do some work rather than getting a cup of coffee while loading up my accounts payable screen.

that said your last comment worries me, did a moderator recommend this or did another user? do you have a link to the post? I would very much like to make sure that myob is indeed recommending users to fix it themselves.

I believe I've seen @gavin12345 be able to provide links to such sites but I've never seen a moderator recommend it but gavin's been on the forum longer than me and could give some extra info on that.

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,688 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2688Posts

2049Kudos

385Solutions

Hi @sholt73

I agree with your comments about sqlce, it should be able to handle large files with many users - and MYOB does neither. And yes this is not due to the database engine but rather the design and coding.  

I don't ever recall seeing a moderator recommend a user pay for purging, that would be either myself (for example) or other users. MYOB would never publically recommend such a solution, as this would be to acknowledge serious weaknesses in their program - not something MYOB would ever do voluntarily.

Up until very recently MYOB refused to acknowledge any performance issues with AR2018, instead blaming the user's environment. Based on my recollections, one Moderator (and a recent one at that - @Haydes) is the only Moderator to acknowledge performance issues, perhaps risking his position in the company. Users appreciate his honesty. Hayden is also the only moderator to refer to a recent project to help MYOB understand what is behind these performance issues.

File size is but one issue, the way memory is handled is another. MYOB handles memory well with a small file - in most cases. I say in 'most cases' as I have personally seem a file under 30 MB repeatedly crash with an 'out of memory' message, on a system with 8 GB of RAM and no other non essential software running. The procedure MYOB uses to generate a report causes a 30 MB file to exhaust over 1.4 GB of available memory. This situation can be replicated on any computer.

With a larger file, out of memory messages are routine - not because the user's system does not have enough memory, but rather because of how MYOB was coded. These and other weaknesses do not show up until MYOB is used with larger files.

This then triggers a discussion on purging. There are numerous posts requesting purging be re-instated in AR2018. MYOB's standard response to such posts is something like 'there are currently no plans to re-introduce a purge function.

See this post where @FAB writes 'For the love of god MYOB, please bring this back in !  It would fix SO many issues a lot of us are having'

A 3rd party developed a purge function for AR2018. I'm told the process can take up to 20 hours on a large file so the fee can be as high as $880. There is certainly no pressure from MYOB (or myself) for users to use this service. I agree with @DannyTangney who wrote 'the problem has been created by MYOB and should be resolved by MYOB'. Problem is MYOB (who holds all the cards here) does not agree.

Back to the purge service - I view such services (purge service or other programs such as add-ons) that fill a MYOB void as optional, and I will recommend them to users if I think the solution might be useful. Some users will pay if it reduces their frustrations and time wasting with MYOB, or helps them achieve what MYOB can't. Others will wait for MYOB to resolve the issues.

Hope this clarifies the basis of my or other users recommending a 3rd party purge service. The ideal solution is for MYOB to fix the problems. In the absence of this, users should at least consider other options before jumping to a competitor product. Trust me, many are jumping. 

Regards

Gavin

Partner JediMasterAndy
2 Posts
Partner
New Zealand
JediMasterAndy

2Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Please don't use any 3rd party service to 'Purge' data from your AccountRight Live files. 
Especially from the company called FGHTables who was/is offering this service on their website.

I personally investigated 2 files at database level where this has happened and the clients, both times, have gone back to their original (pre purged) file as the 3rd party had completely corrupted the file, some dat was only partially purged, it was a mess.  The Tax reports were incorrect as a result and many transactions crashed when opened, the end resulting files could not be trusted.  Investigation of the files confirmed it was the 3rd party purging that caused the problems as the file was fine prior.  One of which I'm aware was done by the above mentioned company, the client showed me where they got it done, the other I'm unsure but haven't seen anyone else offering this as a service..

Just don't do it!  If anything, keep harassing MYOB for this functionality.

A.

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,688 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2688Posts

2049Kudos

385Solutions

Hi all,

I was concerned by the above post as I have suggested a 3rd party purge for some AR2018 users on numerous occasions. Keen to get the facts I asked FGHTables if I could examine a client's file pre and post purge myself. After client consent and confidentiality issues were addressed, I was provided with a copy of a file pre and post purge.

I spent quite some time with these files. I ran a large number of reports including tax reports from both files and could not identify any difference. I also examined reconciliations, again no difference. The one thing that stood out was the difference in load times for many screens and reports.

I opened hundreds of transactions, including drilling down into History, no crashes. Correction I did get 2 System.OutOfMemory crashes but that is another thing altogether. I entered dozens of new transactions without any issues.

I have been assured that their (FGHTables) processes are always being updated and extra checks have been added over time to ensure there are no stray parts of a transaction left behind.

I asked FGH Tables about the specifics raised in this post. Reply:

"It is possible that on earlier purges, some partial transactions may have remained in the purged file. While we check numerous transactions, it is not possible to check every transaction in the file. We do advise clients to get back to us if they come across any such issues.

The issue of partial transactions or tax records or inaccurate reports has not been raised by any of our clients, in fact several clients have come back for a 2nd purge some 12 months later after they roll another FY forward. Would they do this if their file was corrupted by the initial purge, or if there was no worthwhile performance improvement?

If something like this were to happen, just as MYOB does when one of its processes causes a corruption, we would get the file back, run a script and fix the issue. We don't abandon our clients, and would work with them to resolve any issues post purge.

We too would welcome the return of a Purge function for AR2018 by MYOB. Many users would clearly benefit."

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
Super User Elizabeth_Adamson
526 Posts
Super User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson

526Posts

219Kudos

24Solutions

I agree. Third party providers would not be necessary if AR2018 worked properly i.e. fast and bug free.

Further to this, the accountant I work with told me yesterday that a lot of his clients are abandoning MYOB to go to Xero - not a good look for MYOB.

Cheers

Liz

250 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
DannyTangney
Valued Cover User

250Posts

164Kudos

16Solutions

Hi Gavin,

Sorry if I've caused any confusion - most of the posts regarding third party solutions are from your good self, with one or two from Mike James and a few oblique references from Hayden_B... I must admit I mostly look at the response content rather than who it is from.

Cheers,

Danny

250 Posts
Valued Cover User
Australia
DannyTangney
Valued Cover User

250Posts

164Kudos

16Solutions

Could someone from MYOB please demonstrate at least a modicum of professionalism and accountability, and provide a response on this issue ?

This is an extremely serious problem of MYOB's creation that will eventually force every single MYOB user to dump this software when (not if) it becomes unusable as file sizes increase, and yet MYOB cannot be bothered to provide a response...

Disappointingly,

Danny

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post