New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

28566Posts

3368Kudos

4199Solutions

Re: File Size

Hi @DannyTangney

As you have indicated, AccountRight 2018 doesn't allow for the user to purge or remove older transactions from a company file.

While I, personally, do agree that file size management is something that may be required to be looked at, it is something that we are not looking at this point in time. However, in saying that, we are looking into some performance improvements and changes in up and coming versions that are designed to aid those clients with larger file sizes. Clients should start to see those changes flowing through with our next update AccountRight 2019.1, available later this quarter.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Experienced Cover User DannyTangney
46 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
DannyTangney
Experienced Cover User

46Posts

25Kudos

3Solutions

Thank you for having the decency to provide some input to this post, Steven.

It is very obvious that MYOB are reluctant to admit that they have a created a problem through their design decisions, which I guess is not surprising given today's litigous society - I could well imagine a class action for false advertising (AccountRight claims to "Improve productivity & financial control", when the performance problems caused by these design decisions has resulted in lost productivity) or a submission to the ACCC under Australian Consumer Law "Consumer guarantees applying to goods

Businesses that sell goods guarantee that those goods:

• are of acceptable quality - the goods must be safe, lasting, have no faults, look acceptable and do all the things someone would normally expect them to do"

being successful.

Is it not obvious that a reasonable person would not expect a supplier to take design decisions that make their product increasingle unusable over time ?

Furthermore, we are paying for support an not receiving it, which I suppose could also be a cause for some kind of action...

You have mentioned some very vague changes that may or may not help being implemented in future releases, Steven, but what are we supposed to do now ? Our problems are happening now, and are causing disruption to our business now - what is MYOB going to do to help us NOW ?

Regards,

Danny

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
28,566 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

28566Posts

3368Kudos

4199Solutions

Hi @DannyTangney

As it currently stands as mentioned, we don't have the facility to purge or remove data from AccountRight 2018 company files, thus file sizes of AccountRight 20xx company files will increase over time. While I do appreciate the issue is happening now, my previous post was to indicate that we are actively looking into the situation and attempting to come up with solutions for those clients with those larger files.

In the meantime, Help Article: Speed and performance tips may be able to offer assistance into improving the speed of the product. Note: it doesn't happen for all users and all computers. Also, some clients have found some improvement in moving the company file locally, although, you may lose some online functionality such as Online emailing, In Tray...

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

46 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
DannyTangney
Experienced Cover User

46Posts

25Kudos

3Solutions

Hi Steven,

I must confess to being confused - your previous post stated "While I, personally, do agree that file size management is something that may be required to be looked at, it is something that we are not looking at this point in time.", but now you are saying that it is being looked at ?

The entire problem has arisen because, as per your post "we don't have the facility to purge or remove data from AccountRight 2018 company files" which is the result of a deliberate design decision by MYOB to remove this functionality, with no alternative put in place.

We have followed the suggested speed and performance tips, and upgraded our internet service to NBN, to no avail, and are also aware that we can work offline but don't see why we should lose functionality because of a problem that MYOB has created.

Personally, I don't care that the problem doesn't happen to all users with large file sizes (although I would love to know how many users with file sizes over 1 GB are not experiencing these problems, and on what basis you make this claim given that we have never received a survey or questionnaire from MYOB asking about performance or any other matter which might enable the extent of the problem to be quantified) - we (and others) are experiencing this problem now and we would like a solution sooner rather than later...

Regards,

Danny

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
28,566 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

28566Posts

3368Kudos

4199Solutions

Hi @DannyTangney

The point of my post you have indicated was to indicate that we are looking into dealing with those larger company files with changes to the current program to reduce speed and common messages that those clients typically experience.

While I do appreciate the issue is happening now, my previous post was to indicate that we are actively looking into the situation and attempting to come up with solutions for those clients with those larger files

To my knowledge, the scope of the development work around this topic doesn't include the option to purge data from the company file.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

46 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
DannyTangney
Experienced Cover User

46Posts

25Kudos

3Solutions

Thanks for the clarification, Steven.

I guess we'll just have to continue to suffer the increasing productivity loss until these bandaid solutions are applied, whenever that may be...

No doubt, when file sizes contine to increase beyond the capacity of these bandaid solutiions, we'll experience further loss of productivity until the underlying problem is finally addressed, or another bandaid is applied, and so it goes on.

With a degree in IT and over 20 years experience in software developement, including roles as a Senior Development Manager at Coles Myer and Senior Project Manager at IBM Global Services, I can tell you that the approach being taken is not the best way to resolve this kind of problem - the underlying issue must be addressed rather than the symptoms...

Regards,
Danny

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
28,566 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

28566Posts

3368Kudos

4199Solutions

Hi @DannyTangney

Thank you for your additional feedback on this situation, I've shared your comments with the team.

I would also encourage you to try AccountRight 2019.1 when it does get released and try out those new performance enhancements planned for that release. More details of what those will entail will be available closer to release.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Trusted Cover User AndrewStephen
402 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
AndrewStephen
Trusted Cover User

402Posts

184Kudos

9Solutions

Hi @Steven_M

When you you expect 2019.1 to be released ?

Happy to do some testing you want to give you some real work feedback on performance to see if any of the changes help your customers that really struggling every single day.

Andrew

46 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
DannyTangney
Experienced Cover User

46Posts

25Kudos

3Solutions

After a miserable morning when nearly every MYOB action results in either (at best) a wait of several minutes or (more commonly) a time out effectively rendering it unusable, we decided to try to install the new version, despite the various reports of new bugs. Unfortunately, our only Administrator-level user is overseas so we'll have to wait for his return next week to upgrade the company file. Nothing is ever easy with MYOB :-(

Other symptoms today are repeated "Unable to connect" to AccountRight Live messages.

None of our other cloud-based or local software is having any problems, and I've tested our network speed and it is fine. 

Is anyone else suffering performance problems today ?

Regards,
Danny

Trusted Cover User AndrewStephen
402 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
AndrewStephen
Trusted Cover User

402Posts

184Kudos

9Solutions

Hi @DannyTangney 

For the past few days performance has been bad.

Pretty much the same issue you are having.

Regards

Andrew

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post