Partner Zone

Forced to move ONLINE to use STP Phase 2 and Server Edition 2022.4 Automatic Updates

gavin12345
Ultimate User
3,973 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

3,973Posts

1,319Kudos

529Solutions

Re: Forced to move ONLINE to use STP Phase 2 and Server Edition 2022.4 Automatic Updates

Hi @mistyben 

The ATO allows software developers to use a number of different STP reporting setups - for example Desktop (controlled by user), hosted online, online portal, combination of these etc. Due to additional risks, hosted online setups require more security, such as 2FA.

For example STP Creator is a product that uses a desktop model for both Phase 1 and Phase 2.

In Phase 1 MYOB used a both a hosted online approach (for those whose MYOB file was online) and a Desktop/hybrid where users had their file offline, and used the Payroll Reporting centre.

For Phase 2, MYOB have decided to have a Hosted Online approach only - forcing all users to put their file online. Their reason for this is unclear. Their stated reason (must be online due to new security requirements) is "hogwash". STP Reporting does not require the payroll software to be online. There are no 'new' security requirements. The MYOB file does not have to be online for STP Reporting. MYOB is forcing all users to hold their files online as this is how they have developed their Phase 2 solution.

It would be nice if they were upfront about the reasoning, such as 'we are adding these great new features however these can only be implemented if the file is online', or 'our current Phase 1 solution allowing offline files was breaching the ATO Security Requirements and so we have had to move all users online for Phase 2 to rectify this breach'.

Regards

Gavin

mistyben
Experienced User
21 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

21Posts

75Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Forced to move ONLINE to use STP Phase 2 and Server Edition 2022.4 Automatic Updates

Hi Gavin

Really appreciate your feedback and as I suspected this is a MYOB decision and nothing to do with the ATO. 

Such a shame as I've been processing my clients payrolls on MYOB's STP version since the 18-19 financial year on my desktop.  The only thing in my favour is that their payroll information is the only thing that's recorded in my STP compliant AccountRight, and I suspect many other Payroll Services providers would be the same. 

It's a long-winded way around as I also record each payroll on their systems at the same time (but it's a good way to double check that all entries balance in both) and all my clients are happy with this.  As a MYOB user for 95% of my clients since 2000, it doesn't make any sense to change something that's worked perfectly well since STP came in

KevinFe2
Contributing User
7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

We too are most unimpressed with MYOBs determination to move SE users to the cloud. We have several concerns, not only about the potential security issues, but potential internet outages as well. We recently had 19 days without NBN services, due to a major nearby mass cable damage. Imagine cloud based data and activity without internet! We are NOT happy about this at all. There are options. We can 'vote with our feet'. 

IanP
Experienced Partner
10 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

10Posts

10Kudos

0Solutions

WE are more than unimpressed, alarmed would be the best way to put it.

After having all our access to our data destroyed by the move to AcoiountRight from Premier (we extensively used the ODBC connector) and now having just about put it all back toh=gether again by writing code to access our local server (and man, even on the local machine, it takes a looong time for many jobs), now I discover that once again for no good reason we have to change it all again.

If Mr MYOB is reading this stuff, please, can you talk to your customers about what they want before making these sorts of changes.  Frankly AccountRight is a nightmare, our support costs have skyrocketed and the constant updating/changing etc etc etc, none of whioch is bringing us any benefits, is driving us nuts.

1. Fix the bugs.  Sup adding uselss bells and whistles and go and make it all work properly

2. Have a talk to your users about stuff which would actually benefit us.

3. Fix the bugs.

someone
Trusted Cover User
109 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

109Posts

40Kudos

2Solutions

@gavin12345 wrote:

Hi @nduro 

See this post here - MYOB are blaming new security requirements from the ATO. The post also refers to a STP product that works with AR2022 for those who don't want to put their file online.

Regards

Gavin

You can also see this post as there has been no reply from MYOB moderators to the whole ATO Security claim.

This kind of blatant misinformation is dishonest and lacks integrity

Beach
Partner
110 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

110Posts

77Kudos

0Solutions

Considering the security breaches that MYOB themselves had a year or so ago (Payment Summaries being sent to incorrect employees), I am reluctant to recommend any of my clients to move their files online.  I think they will be looking at other STP2 reporting options.  I also heard that not only is the file online, but that users must use the browser version of MYOB. If someone can please advise re the browser version, as I have 1 client only that uses Essentials which is the browser version - and it is the worst piece of rubbish I have ever had to use. Moving from v19 to Accountright was an increase of at leat 50% in time taken to do a certain amount of data entry.  Moving to the browser version then doubles the time taken again!  Work that used to take me about 20mins on V19, takes about 90mins using the web version.

someone
Trusted Cover User
109 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

109Posts

40Kudos

2Solutions

@Beach wrote:

Considering the security breaches that MYOB themselves had a year or so ago (Payment Summaries being sent to incorrect employees), I am reluctant to recommend any of my clients to move their files online.  I think they will be looking at other STP2 reporting options.

@Beachthis doesn't even include the whole withdrawing super payments multiple times from bank accounts a couple of month ago.

Like yourself, we don't have much confidence with MYOB and our data being held by them.

Beach
Partner
110 Posts
Partner
Australia
Partner

110Posts

77Kudos

0Solutions

yes... luckily absolutely none of my clients use the MYOB super clearing house or the rubbish bank feeds... My clients also don't trust MYOB to do anything well any more.

Antcity
Experienced Cover User
24 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

24Posts

6Kudos

1Solutions

Hi there, 

When you say "company files are required to be moved online" are you talking about a 100% switch to the cloud version of MYOB? We currently use a hybrid - desktop software with some online linkage/functionality (clearly I'm not an IT person) for the purpose of STP.  

OliverJ
Contributing Cover User
5 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

5Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

another voice here for removing the online requirement for MYOB's STP Phase 2 implementation.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post