MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

How to move only recent year file to a new MYOB account. Online file too big, Myob respond too slow

jielu
1 Post
User
jielu
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

How to move only recent year file to a new MYOB account. Online file too big, Myob respond too slow

Hi, there

Our company has lots of inventory and sales, we are using the Accountright and already updated to the latestly version. Our file is online. And our internet speed is good enough to operate other software. We think is because our file is too big and we have more than 500 items in inventory. It took every every long to record a sales now. And it is impossible to run the Items Register, always fail. We want to know if it's possible to open a new account and only move recently financial year data to the new account and that way MYOB may respond quicker. If you have any solution how to speed up MYOB, please help me. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Ultimate Partner BooksInTheCloud
1,617 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1617Posts

1412Kudos

168Solutions

Re: How to move only recent year file to a new MYOB account. Online file too big, Myob respond too slow

Hi @jielu 

What version of MYOB are you using?

You can create a new file you would want to import in the Chart of Accounts, Customers, Suppliers, Employee Cards, Inventory, enter opening balances and open sales and purchases.    This is a complex job and I would highly recommend the company engages a MYOB Partner to seek expert advice and assistance.  I recommend your acountant is also involved in the process.    I am presuming you will want to start a new file from 1 July 2019.    

In the meantime if you are serious about starting a new file work on the basis ''Garbage in Garbage Out''   I would recommend cleaning up your current file i.e. inactivating inventory items not in use, ensure credit notes are settled, stale balances cleaned up etc.   

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
Ultimate User gavin12345
2,618 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2618Posts

2001Kudos

378Solutions

Re: How to move only recent year file to a new MYOB account. Online file too big, Myob respond too slow

Hi @jielu 

Sadly MYOB Live was poorly developed and as a result can really struggle with large numbers of anything. Having said that 500 items in not a lot. When you get to 5000, that will cause issues. There are some options to speed up MYOB including a simple and efficient way of creating a new file, should you pursue that option.  Send me a private message if you want more information. Posts get deleted if they offer non-myob ways to fix MYOB problems. To send a private message hover mouse over my name above and click Send Message.

Regards

Gavin

Super User Elizabeth_Adamson
526 Posts
Super User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson

526Posts

218Kudos

24Solutions

As per Gavin12345's comment, there are solutions. If you are starting a new file then reverting to the Classic version (can be downloaded from MYOB Downloads) and using third party options for ATO and STP could be a better solution for you and once you have a perpetual licence (if you don't already) then you can stop paying MYOB and save heaps of $$$$. Backups essential of course, including programme installers.

Cheers

Liz

1,617 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1617Posts

1412Kudos

168Solutions

@jieluunlike other contributors on this post I am in no way at all suggesting you go back to Classic Version. 

MYOB will not support the classic version come 30 September 2019.   

As for the suggestion of using 3rd Party Add-on's is not going to be ideal long term.   To suggest moving to Classic version and use unsupported Add-on's is ridiculous.    What if Microsoft undertake a windows update after 30 September 2019 and you can no longer access your MYOB file.   At that point the 3rd Party Add-On will be no help and nor will MYOB as they wont support Classic Versions.

Posts indicating the use of Add-On products that are being deleted off this page is for a very good reason.  They are most likely unsupported.   Dont even go down this path.

If your company needs help starting a new MYOB file in Accountright Live and wants to stay in the 21st Century PM me if you want to engage some services to help you.

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
526 Posts
Super User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson

526Posts

218Kudos

24Solutions

Hi Renae

Maybe you have been away but I noticed you were absent from the forum over the last week when MYOB users were unable to access their files to bill customers, pay employees, order supplies, etc. If you read Andrew Stephens' posts you will see that there a multitude of bugs and problems with the new versions that are costing customers considerable amounts of money. On top of this, some of my clients and I have previously had phone support staff lie to us about not being able to use Classic versions and to my way of thinking, this is unethical at a very minimum. From some reports this sort of thing still happens. Add to this the email sent in 2017 telling users they must upgrade (from which MYOB backtracked), their behaviour as a corporate entity has shown an extreme lack of goodwill towards their customers. This is unacceptable for a corporation and they should feel the dissatisfaction of their customers in their hip pockets as well, in the same way their customers are. Should their new versions become fast and reliable, at a reasonable price, then I will be out there promoting MYOB again but this is just not the case at the moment.

By the way, I have never needed support for Classic versions and have meticulous backup procedures, and I can still use the old MYOB Accounting v12 on my Windows 10 system so I think Classic will be usable for a little longer, plus there are some really good programmers out there who love a challenge!

Cheers

Liz

1,617 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
BooksInTheCloud
Ultimate Partner

1617Posts

1412Kudos

168Solutions

Hi @Elizabeth_Adamson 

No, I have not been away just full schedule with clients.   I am chipping in and helping over the weekend and that is all that matters.  What is not helpful is advising end users to go backwards.  

In all honesty I only had one client with an issue logging into the file it was not across the board.   I could not log into my.myob on one occasion but it was not the end of the world.    I tend to ignore the negative hype and get on with my day. 

It seems every time now end users on this forum need help and they get negative comments or told to go backwards.    If they are already using AccountRight Live they are not interested in the old classic versions.   They just need help. 

Clients will need to upgrade by 30 September 2019 - too much focus on the past we need to move on and get on with it.    

I knowledge there are some very good programmers out there who love a challenge however I prefer to work with the ones that intergrade with the latest technology. 

Technology is forever changing many software companies are using the Agile approach, if the aim was to release new technology bug free - there would never be new releases, nothing would evolve, and we will all be stuck with our heads in the sand. 

@jielu this post is about helping you.   100% of my clients are online if you need help with the new file in AccountRight Live please private message me.

Warm Regards
Renae

@renae2peas
526 Posts
Super User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson

526Posts

218Kudos

24Solutions

'Sigh' - yes, I suppose progress and new technology is ALWAYS best, even though my rural, small business customers don't want it and can't afford it.

Cheers

Liz

Ultimate Partner The_Doc
889 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
The_Doc
Ultimate Partner

889Posts

145Kudos

120Solutions

Hi @BooksInTheCloud  and @Elizabeth_Adamson 

Interestingly I think you both have relevant points that are difficult to reconcile considering the evolution of the new online version of MYOB.

Yes I do remember MYOB capturing some of my clients with the "you must upgrade" piffle and some went over to the dark side before I could stop them - I preferred to just wait - the new package was evolving and was really buggy.

Yes and unfortunately the classic version is built on a very old platform and just doesnot encompass many of the necessary security and modern development features that software is evolving with - and least we forget it has been around a very longtime - since about 1996 - so about a  1/4 C of evolution has gone into.

Yes it is really stable - yes it is very quick on a RDP Server situation (being one of the earliest users in the early 90s to run it on an RDP server long before MYOB admitted it could) - actually Windows Server 3.51 then 4 with Citrix Metaframe - it worked beautifully - and MYOB refused to admit it did - and then in the 2000s they did but said that you had to use the Enterprise Version on the Server as it was refined to run better - a bit of a white lie undoubtedly.

Yet I hold no grudge - MYOB was evolving with the rapidly developing IT world and remote access desktop.

There were enough CCs out there to give clients what they needed and keep "the Bxxxxxxxx honest" - as there are now.

How the leading edge of technology is marching forward still at a rapid pace and whilst I love MYOB Premier and its solidarity and speed - even I see the sense of moving forward with MYOB which we CCs always have.

I have clients with ODBC connections to Premier V19 which will break and the new API is a totally different beast to create a connection with - but it also is necessary for security and stability reason - so I will build a new interface - and move forward.

Yes the new version is slowish. slow, sluggish when compared to V19 but I have no doubt the back room boys are busting their butts to fix this - and so the package will improve and evolve and grow.

So yes I do support Liz's argument but I have to look forward and say V19 is old and unless you are a developer like myself and lots of time to make V19 continue to work on newer platforms - notwithstanding that the STP and tax tables will not be supported - then be my guest - and I suspect V19 will just age gracefully and still work in 2030 without a doubt - but by then MYOB AccountRight Live will be a robust package (we hope).

As an answer to this query I have to supprot @BooksInTheCloud  answer as the best, but not ideal, solution. I do not know how the new version is built but the size of the file is slowing it down and so that will need to evolve - V19 could handle huge files - MYOB will fix it - they have to.

And before you consider jumping horse - these comparisons are not new - this company is better than this or this product is better than this - and in the end you just weigh up the pros and cons and decide what is best for you. (on an aside we developers argue constantly as to the best Dbase product, the best development language - VC.NET, VB.NET,VC#.Net, PHP, JAVA - etc and no one wins - each is horses for courses) 

MYOB just works for me warts and all (unfortunately a bit warty of late - but they will drop off)

Please do not take umbrage to this post none was intented - My intention of this post was to help answer the query - that is important - however the answer is not simple. But also unreservedly I make not criticism of either of the addressees comments - merely providing a perspective and their stances, which are diametrically opposed, each has relevance.

The Doc

526 Posts
Super User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson

526Posts

218Kudos

24Solutions

Hi The Doc

Thank you for your thoughtful reply and as I said, when MYOB does have a fast, reliable, reasonably priced product, I will be out there promoting it as I think it has the potential to be the best. The keyboard shortcuts and so many of the functions are much better than many products but MYOB hasn't acted with integrity in the last few years and this has done it a big disservice in my clients' and my view. We can't afford to be the guinea pigs - it's a tough business world out there.

Cheers

Liz

PS I still use an ancient Nokia C5-00 as it does what I need, has a long battery life, is tough and fits in my pocket. Country life is a bit different to the big city.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post