Experienced Cover User
Australia
RayJordan
Experienced Cover User

100Posts

60Kudos

0Solutions

Upgrading From Accountright Premier 19.15 to Accountright 2018.2

We made the decision last week that we need to migrate from AR Premier 19.15 to AR 2018.4, (mainly because of Single Touch Payroll) so I came in to work on Boxing Day to move the process along (so as not to be doing it on an actual work day where interruptions are constant).

I downloaded and installed AR 2018.4 last week. The file "upgrade" process (from 19.15 to 2018.4) involves the file being sent electronically to MYOB and an email tells you when its ready. It took an hour or two, so that was ok.

So today I opened the newly upgraded file and then upgraded our custom forms. That process was pretty smooth. That is, until I printed a test copy of each. The field widths in the main body of the invoices had changed. It seems that the padding inside the columns has been increased, meaning that you now need a column about 6 or 7 characters wide to fit 3 characters (eg, GST) on a single line. It also means that you need to overlap the columns with any vertical lines you had drawn to sperate columns. Does anyone at MYOB actually test this stuff before release?

Three hours later, after much head scratching and cursing, I had finally updated all my templates to make the prints look just like they do from AR 19.15.

I have noticed that AR 2018.4 runs quite bit faster than the previous versions (I have tried almost every one since AR 2011.1), so that is good.

But wait, I'm a bit suspicious. So I go check my transaction history. I discovered that most of it has been deleted by MYOB in the file "upgrade" process. No wonder the program suddenly runs at an acceptable speed.

All MYOB left me was my last year and this year sales and purchase history. What happened to FYs 2010 to 2017 that were in the 19.15 file I sent? These are incredibly valuable to us and we refer to them frequently using AR 19.15 when working with customers.

We've been using MYOB since version 3 back in about 1993 or so. Although much of that early history has been consigned to the archives, we regularly query back 5 to 8 years as we look at machine service and parts replacement history. If AR 2018.4 is not up to this task, we have a bit of a problem.

So here I am, once again let down by a very unsatisfactory encounter with AR 201x.x. 

I've already previously written posts about all the other things about AR 201x.x that I don't like and could improve the user experience. And the list has grown today in case anyone is interested.

And there are still defects that still have not been fixed since being reported against AR 2011.1 seven years ago..

Ray Jordan
24 REPLIES
Trusted Cover User AndrewStephen
217 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
AndrewStephen
Trusted Cover User

217Posts

61Kudos

4Solutions

Re: Upgrading From Accountright Premier 19.15 to Accountright 2018.2

Hi @RayJordan

Did the MYOB migration team get involved with the upgrade ?

If they did, they delete ALL data except the current and previous financial years.  To me this is criminal as they don't advise.   I have expressed my concern over deleting customers data with out advising them.

MYOB, really deleting data without advising customer will end in legal action against you one day.

You can't delete data without advising customers.  You just can't do it.

Fix your software so it runs fast, without crashes and issues regardless of the database size.

If you have a choice, I wouldn't upgrade to AR2018.4 and would stick with the current. Have a chat with @Elizabeth_Adamson regarding options for STP and see if you can stay on the current version.

I have a list of over 60 bugs, issues and failures with AR2018.4 that I have found in the last 3 weeks since moving across from Premier v19

Good luck and if you stay with AR2018 you don't get to frustrated.  

Andrew

Trusted User Elizabeth_Adamson
240 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson
Trusted User

240Posts

123Kudos

8Solutions

Hi - happy to provide extra info for v19 if you would like to PM me. @gavin12345 has even more information and experience than me and is generally happy to help as well.

Cheers

Liz

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
4,419 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

4419Posts

688Kudos

642Solutions

Hi @RayJordan & @AndrewStephen

From my time doing Migrations, I've never deleted this data before as the information from the older file should still come across to the new AccountRight file. The Migration Team should definitely not delete this data.

That said, any Conversions (Say to Essentials) can only bring across the last and current financial year data. This is specified in the FAQs before submitting the conversion. See these links: 

Just to be safe with terminology here's what I mean:

• Migration - AccountRight v19 to AccountRight 2018 (Upgrades is what is is also known as)
  • Conversion - AccountRight/AccountEdge > Essentials   OR   Xero/Reckon > AccountRight/Essentials

I would very much like to investigate this, @RayJordan could you please send me a Private Message with:

• The MYOB Serial Number (Found in: Setup > Company Information)
  • The approximate date you Upgraded
  • The Email Address you logged in with to upgrade

I will look into this and find out what happened and see if we can re-do it with the correct information.

@AndrewStephen would you happen to have an example I can look into also?

Experienced Cover User RayJordan
100 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
RayJordan
Experienced Cover User

100Posts

60Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Andrew,

Yes MYOB did the file "migration". I have previously done it myself (without deleting data), but this version seemed to insist that it be done "in the cloud". 

I said "previously" in the previous paragraph because I have installed almost every new version from 2011.1 and migrated my file, then run 19.whatever alongside 201x.x for a while to test. Invariably I would quickly give up on the new version due to crashes, slowness, non-performing features or the poor user interface.

It was certainly a surprise to discover that a whole lot of historical data had been stripped out of the file to make the program perform at an acceptable (but still much slower than AR 19.15) speed.

Ray

Ray

Ray Jordan
100 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
RayJordan
Experienced Cover User

100Posts

60Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for the offer to look at this Hayden.

I've PM'd you with all the information you have requested.

Ray

Ray Jordan
217 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
AndrewStephen
Trusted Cover User

217Posts

61Kudos

4Solutions

Hi @Hayden_B

From my time doing Migrations, I've never deleted this data before as the information from the older file should still come across to the new AccountRight file. The Migration Team should definitely not delete this data.

This is common practice, even when there are notes on our account not to purge data.

Have a read on the notes on my account regarding this issue.  Took me 4 migrations to get our file online.

Evan (I think his name was) in migrations confirmed its standard practive to purge data when the company files are large.  They consider a 500Mb company file large.

This open's so many can's of worms and possible legal action against MYOB.
Deleting customer data without advising them and also getting the OK is BAD FORM.

I only realised this happened because migrations rolled my company file over to FY20 as part of the purge process and forgot to set it back to FY19 making my newly place online company file not usable.

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,333 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2333Posts

1814Kudos

347Solutions

Hi @RayJordan

AR2018.4 does allow you to upgrade your own file, you simply need to click the cutely worded 'Don't have an internet connection' and then tick 'I want to upgrade offline, even though I won't have access to key features' - the wording of both is misleading, and once you upgrade your file you can then upload it and get access to 'all the key features'. 

I suggest you try to upgrade your v19.15 file yourself, open and test performance locally to see how it compares with the MYOB upgraded file. It will be significantly slower would be my guess - slow performance and inability to display transactions in Transaction Journal and Reports is a major problem with AR2018 when dealing with larger files. 

What is 'large' seems to change, initially moderators suggested anything over 200 MB would cause performance issues, this later changed to 300 MB, the migration team say 500 MB.

Regards

Gavin

100 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
RayJordan
Experienced Cover User

100Posts

60Kudos

0Solutions

And....

I have just discovered that my file has, during the migration process, been rolled over to a new year. 

My AR 19.15 file still shows 2017/1018 as the Current Year because I have not yet rolled it over (our tax return for that year has not yet been completed).

But my AR 2018.4 file is showing 2017/2018 as Last Year. And all previous years have been deleted during file migration by MYOB.

Ray Jordan
217 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
AndrewStephen
Trusted Cover User

217Posts

61Kudos

4Solutions

Hi @RayJordan

and MYOB migrations strike again with purging data and messing up our data.

They have to roll over the year to purge data and then they set it back to correct year.

They left my company file in FY20 which meant I couldn't enter any data, I was lucky.

I hope that you picked up early the rolled over your FY and it hasn't caused you any inconvience.

MYOB migrations you are totally incompetent and stop deleting our data and messing with our company files!
Its not acceptable.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post