Multicurrency conversion

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
McCarthy1
Experienced User
17 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

17Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Multicurrency conversion

I am in New Zealand and have a Foreign Currency bank account (Australian)

In the ledger the balances appear in NZ Dollars, which is fine.

When I input all the transactions, converting to NZ Dollars, my ledger account does not agree with my bank balance. The difference is made up of the accumulated differences between the 2 currencies transactions.

Before I used multi currency I would credit or debit the difference to a Foreign Exchange Income account. But now that MYOB converts everything to NZ dollars I dont do this.

Is there something I need to do each time I convert funds, so that the bank account and ledger account agree. I understand there will be a difference (the difference between NZ$ and AU$) but on a $400 bank balance, my ledger is $10000.

4 REPLIES 4
Lara10
Experienced Cover User
65 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

65Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Multicurrency conversion

Following - similar issues here - have asked MYOB also, there doesn't seem to be a clear answer ....

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Hi @McCarthy1 

The balance of a foreign currency account in Accounts>>Accounts Lists is that of the local currency amount, whereas the balance of the account in Banking>>Reconcile Accounts is that of the foreign currency amount.

For example, below is a screenshot that I've shared for another client but it does show what is occurring i.e. the local currency balance in the accounts lists and the foreign currency in the Reconcile Accounts.

Attachment.PNG

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

McCarthy1
Experienced User
17 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

17Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for that but mine is a bit more complicated.

I use .95 are the default rate but when the money is transfered from AUD acc to NZD account I put in the actual conversion rate

I have attached a spreadsheet to try and explain myself.

The 1st 2 columns are the ledger account for the Forex acc

The next 2 are the actual bank statement figures

The 3rd 2 columns are the actual Foreign exchange income when transfered to the NZ bank account. So you can see the rate varies from .95 to 0.97.

So my ledger balance is NZ$358,026.40

My bank balance is AU$344,727.60

To know that my ledger account is correct and agrees with my bank account I would expect the $NZ358,026.40*.95 = $340,125.08

But

The bank balance is $344,727.60 converted to NZ$ would be $362,871.16

There is a difference of roughly $4,844.76

I have reconciled the bank account so I know it is correct.

Should I transfer that difference to a Foreign Exchange income or ex[pense account each month so I know the bank ledger account is correct?

Should I transfer the difference

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,839 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,839Posts

1,080Kudos

755Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @McCarthy1 , the $4844.76 represents an unrealised gain, which you can journal to your MYOB account, resulting in a closing balance of $362,871.16. This is also the AUD balance of $344,727.60 div by .95. I would normally take the AUD and work out what it is worth in NZD then compare to the ledger.

The journal will debit the AUD bank account and credit your currency variance account in the P&L.

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post