GST on multiple items

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Beks
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

GST on multiple items

Hi. I've just started my first business so new to both MYOB and GST so just trying to work my way through it. 

I have a query on an invoice I created (in Essentials)...

I have items I'm selling for a round figure ($40), and if I add 1 item to the invoice it tallies to $40 correctly, but if I change quantity eg to 2, the GST isnt then tallying to the round number ie it'll show the total as $79.99 not $80. What I'd like the customer to see is the correct rounded price of $80 not $79.99.

Can you please point me in the direction of what I might have not set or set incorrectly? If I separate the items onto 2 lines, it'll total correctly to $80, but that's more tedious to generate invoices.

Thanks Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4
Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Re: GST on multiple items

Hi @Beks

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a wealth of knowledge

Just testing within my MYOB Essentials account I have been unable to replicate what you are describing:

Attachment.PNG

So we can get a better understanding of what the situation can you provide a screenshot of the invoice (similar to that listed above).

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Beks
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Steven, 

Showing Qty 1 and 2...

2018-08-16_1300.png2018-08-16_1301.png

I could only see when adding items to do it excluding tax - I don't seem to have an option which does it including... so I'm not getting it to a round figure on the unit price like in your example.

2018-08-16_1306.png

Thanks Smiley Happy

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
New Zealand
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Beks

The difference is caused by the rounding of values for items.

Firstly, MYOB Essentials only allows the user to set up an item with 2 decimal places as the unit cost. This does mean that there will be some rounding of values to determine the total amount.

For example, if you look at the below table it outlines what is occurring. As the actual line price is being rounded to 2 decimal places it is encountering a different value that you would expect to see. This is due to the fact that the actual selling price of the item is $39.997 (not $40.00).

Attachment2.PNG

In saying that on the actual Create Invoice window you can have up to 4 decimal places as the unit price. So, in your case, if you wanted a more accurate total my recommendation would be to enter a GST Exclusive invoice with 4 decimal places with the unit price (being manually entered*) as 34.7826

Attachment.PNG

Note: That this may change the method of entry for the invoice and how those invoices appear on the printed/email copy

*Would need to be entered manually rather than get it from the selling price of the item, as the selling price of the item can be set to be 2 decimal place but the unit price allows for 4 decimal places on the invoice.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

Beks
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions