Student Loan deductions

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Contributing Cover User Wilmz
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User
New Zealand
Contributing Cover User

6Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Student Loan deductions

Please advise how o set up for Student loan deductions - How do you get the Payroll program to deduct 12c / dollar after the threshold of $367/wk.

I also need to set up for Student Loan compulsory extra deductions @ 41.67% of the amount paid in Student Loan - can this be done automatically?

2 REPLIES 2
Ultimate Partner jenniek
2,427 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

2,427Posts

1,006Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Student Loan deductions

Hi there,

A student loan is automatically deducted when you use the appropriate SL code - choose M SL or ME SL etc for the employees tax code. MYOB knows the threshold amounts already.

To add an extra compulsary student loan amount - go your employees compulsary deductions screen in maintain employees and tick the SCLIR box at the bottom and enter in 4.167% - which actually deducts 41.67% correctly

Regards,
Jennie Kingma
JK Business Systems Ltd, Hamilton, NZ
Email: jennie@jkbusiness.co.nz
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
32,771 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

32,771Posts

4,381Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Student Loan deductions

Hi @Wilmz 

Just in addition to @jenniek 's post, Support Note: Student Loan deductions in Payroll would provide you with additional information into student loans and setting it up.

For the compulsory extra deduction I would be taking a look at Support Note: IRD Letter for varying student loan repayment rate (SLCIR) You would want to enter 5% not 4.167% as the deduction amount. You would enter 5% as oppose to 4.167% as the standard student loan rate is 12% therefore 41.67% x 12% = 5.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post