Thank you for visiting our Partner Zone. This area is an exclusive space for MYOB Partners. Find out how to Partner with MYOB.
March 2017 - last edited March 2017
Over the past few weeks some of our users have reported an issue with RetailManager displays certain character, resulting in a variety of Asian language characters appearing unexpectedly on a variety of screens within RetailManager, such as you can see here:
Our team have been working hard and with the amazing assistance of our professional partner network have identified that it may have been caused by a recent update to the Kaspersky antivirus program. To help resolve this our team have come up with the following workarounds to try if you are affected by this issue.
The User and System Locales are different
As both of these are used when RetailManager draws some of the language and text characters to display on the windows, having them set to the same location will avoid some issues. You can check these two settings here:
For the User Local, please check Control Panel >> Region & Language >> Formats (For Windows 7) and Control Panel >> Region >> Formats (Windows 8 &10*).
For the System Locale, please check Control Panel >> Region & Language >> Administrative (For Windows 7) and Control Panel >> Region >> Administrative (Windows 8 &10*).
Please ensure that both of these are set to English (Australia) or English (New Zealand), depending on your location.
*Please note that RetailManager is currently not supported on Windows 10
An East Asian Language Pack is installed
RetailManager is currently incompatible with East Asian Language Packs. If you do have any East Asian Language packs installed, we do encourage you to uninstall these if you are using RetailManager. As the removal of these may impact on other programs we do recommend you speak to your IT professional about removing these.
Refreshing the Font Cache
The Font Cache is a little section that Windows uses to help display certain fonts in other applications, such as RetailManager. In some cases, this section can become damaged and that affects other programs. To help resolve this we have developed this tool to help clear this section.
To use the tool, please click on the link and download the zip file it contains. Once downloaded, please extract the tool and double click on it. This will launch the tool and you may notice a window pop up which is completely black appear. If you do see the pop up window it will only appear briefly before disappearing. When the window has closed down your Font Cache will have been rebuilt and this should stop the unusual characters appearing.
Please note that as the Font Cache is used by windows and is updated regularly by Windows you may need to run the Rebuild Font Cache tool again if the unusual characters start reappearing.
This would be the last thing to try, as uninstalling this will remove your antivirus software and may expose your computer to a variety of internet based risks. As mentioned based off our team’s investigation that this issue may be linked to a recent Kaspersky update, so uninstalling Kaspersky will remove the update and may resolve this issue.
Before doing this, we do recommend that you speak to your IT professional over any risks involved with this and if possible to disconnect your computers from the internet to minimise any risks to your computers.
I would also like to make a special thank you to the invaluable assistance of our Retail Partners, particularly @Stuart_Donaldson and @JohnnnyG. We genuinely couldn’t have done this without your help, and so from both myself and our team doing the investigation please let me express a deep and grateful thank you.
Please do reply to this post and let us know how you get on and what worked for you.
Reference the asterixed note in your reply, I understood that the RetailManager v12.5 update was supposed to address Windows 10 compatibility in addition to the API linking to AccountRight in the cloud. Is this no longer the case?
From my knowledge, Retail Manager v12.5 was for the Windows 8 compatability, not Windows 10. However I do know of clients running it successfully on Windows 10.
Hope this helps
Thank you for the update - I have just worked through with four clients all running Win 7 and Kaspersky. Rebuilding the Font Cache seems to be the trick. All their System and User locales were already set for Australia and Kaspersky had already been told to ignore the MYOB installations.
I will be interested to see how long before we need to run the Font Cache Tool again if at all.
Many thanks Donna (and four happier RM users)
Hi Donna ( @Donnad )
Fantastic to hear that rebuilding the Font Cache has worked for you and your clients, and thank you for letting us know what worked and didn’t work for you. I’m also curious as to whether you will need to run the tool across those files again.
Please don’t hesitate to post any time you have a question, as I’m sure the MYOB Community will be happy to assist.
We have now been able to access MYOB RM (v12.5) without the Chinese Characters appearing.
We tried all the suggestions & the .bat file, to no avail.
We turned Kaspersky OFF in the System Tray (win 7 Pro 64bit), loaded RM, confirmed there were no Chinese Characters, and restarted Kaspersky.
The issue has not reared it's head again.
Bundaberg, QLD 4670.
Great to hear that you have been able to get those Chinese Characters to disappear after restarting your Kaspersky.
Please do feel free to post any other questions that you may have.