MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

Can STP compliance for a small business be free?

Highlighted
Cashy
4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Cashy
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Can STP compliance for a small business be free?

We're a struggling small business, with 3 employees including the 2 directors. We had a look on the ATO website and the only working free and downloadable software is Free Accounting Software which seems to work so far. (The other listed software providers didn't reply to emails). We use an old desktop, stand-alone version of AccountRightPlus and don't want any added expense at all. We certainly don't want to pay for an on-line compliant software just for the sake of STP reporting. We don't want to use Free Accounting Software as our main accounting software, just for payroll STP reporting. The question is: assuming this software remains free to use, can I just duplicate our weekly payslips, which we do on MYOB, onto Free Accounting Software, and report to the ATO from that? This issue has been extremely confusing as there is nothing much on the finer details of how it actually works. I basically just want a way of being STP compliant without going to any expense, if this is possible. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
29,830 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

29830Posts

3652Kudos

4378Solutions

Re: Can STP compliance for a small business be free?

Hi @Cashy 

AccountRight 2019.1 and MYOB Essentials are our Single Touch Payroll (STP) compliant software for small businesses. These will allow for the user to report there pays directly from their software to the ATO. This service is included in the cost of an AccountRight/MYOB Essentials subscription.

Alternatively, we do have a payroll solution for micro businesses which is based on the MYOB Essentials platform and is aimed at business with 1 to 4 employees. This software is $10 per month. You can find out more information on this software via MYOB Essentials Payroll

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,594 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2594Posts

1986Kudos

376Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @Cashy 

With STP reporting the ATO refused to provide a direct upload option or a free service like they did for Super Stream. This generally means you will have to pay to comply. 

As @Steven_M  mentioned MYOB's cheapest option is a $10 per month program to do the payroll only. Using this or any other program (such as the Free Accounting Software you mentioned) does mean you will need to re-enter your payroll data into your accounting software. This however does not need to be the full payroll detail. What some users do is run their payroll through a STP compliant program and then do just one general journal into their accounting program.  This keeps their accounting system up to date.

Or yes you could do as you suggested, after you have entered your payroll in MYOB, re-enter it in Free Accounting Software and submit to the ATO, this way you would be compliant at no cost.

The ATO essentially set the $10 per month price for micro businesses (under 5 employees), so this seems to be the minimum.

There is another program due out within days that may be of more interest to your situation. This STP software is specifically designed for MYOB users who want to keep using their current software, and not have to re-enter data into another program or online portal. In your case you would keep using your 'old desktop stand-alone version of AccountRightPlus' to do payroll. After you process your payroll as per normal, the software called STP Creator will read the payroll data out of your MYOB company file, and allow you to send the STP data to the ATO directly from the program. No data to re-enter or files to upload.

For most MYOB users without a subscription, this would be not only the cheapest I have seen, but also more efficient. Re-entering payroll whether into MYOB as a general journal or into a payroll only program not only takes longer, it also increases the risk of error.

If interested, google STP Creator or send me a private message if you can't find it.

Regards

Gavin

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,594 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2594Posts

1986Kudos

376Solutions

Contributing User JoanEllen
5 Posts
Contributing User
Australia
JoanEllen
Contributing User

5Posts

3Kudos

0Solutions

Great answer.

Cashy
4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Cashy
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Gavin for your detailed answer. Great answer!

Experienced Cover User Nereida-SCPS
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Nereida-SCPS
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for your detailed answer @gavin12345 

Much appreciated Smiley Happy

Experienced Cover User Nereida-SCPS
17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Nereida-SCPS
Experienced Cover User

17Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Quick question @gavin12345 

If I'm currently using Accountright Live Standard that doesn't have a payroll component, would STP Creator work?

How can it read the payroll data if there is none?

I can't justify spending another $42/month to upgrade to MYOB Essentials Payroll and don't particularly want to use a $10 separate program that I have to manually journal into my existing data file.

Thanks

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,594 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2594Posts

1986Kudos

376Solutions

Hi @Nereida-SCPS 

The program can read payroll data directly out of an myox file. That is no good to you if you don't have payroll data. However the program does not require a MYOB file, you can import Payee and YTD data or enter on screen. Importing would be easier, however you still have to get the data out of your MYOB file, for a report etc.

May not be the best solution.

Regards

Gavin

Anne_126
2 Posts
User
Anne_126

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi ,

I have MYOB Accountright Plus 2019 with payroll & pay annual subscription, however  I am not cloud based.  What are my options,as I do not want to go cloud but dont feel I should have an added subscription either. Thanks,

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post