MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Trusted Cover User Penny_Accounts
86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

Hi

I have posted about this before, hopefully you can link to the old thread here:

https://community.myob.com/t5/Single-Touch-Payroll-STP-Q-A/STP-One-or-more-deduction-superannuation-...

Basically I didn't make any changes to payroll categories after getting help last time. The error message only appeared for the last person (alphabetically) on the list so it was easy to just click ok and save the changes (i.e. ignore the error message).

This week though we got a pay increase and now every single employee who opts to salary sacrifice 5% of their gross wages into their superannuation gets the error message about the category exceeding its limit. 

I understand that I have set the limit to 5% of gross wages, and this should be calculated every pay (we pay weekly) for each employee who has nominated to salary sacrifice.

So what I would now like to know is how sensitive is this calculation? 

Is just one or two cents in rounding going to trigger the warning?

Also what about if the amount is exactly 5% down to the last cent?

Because that is what I am seeing in this weeks pay.

We have the following:

Employee A Base Salary $1690.38

5% of gross $84.52

Warning notification pops up that $84.52 exceeds the limit, yet $84.52 is 5% of gross

Employee B Base Salary $1336.54

5% of gross $66.82

Warning notification that $66.83 (the amount actually calculated by MYOB) exceeds the limit of 5%

Help again on this topic is appreciated.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
MYOB Moderator Steven_M
30,510 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

30510Posts

3786Kudos

4449Solutions

Re: One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

Hi @Penny_Accounts

The "One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits..." message is caused when the dollar value of the selected category exceeds the limit by 0.01c or more. 

Due to rounding on the deduction field values that message can be generated when the values are what you would expect to see. 

Take your first employee as an example (Gross is $1690.38 with 5% deduction), the actual calculation is 84.519 when this is rounded it will give you 84.52. As this is above the original calculated value it will cause the message to appear (84.51 doesn't). The similar is true for the second employee example you have added, the unrounded value is $66.827, the rounded value is $66.83 hence higher than the original calculation.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

Re: One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

Thanks @Steven_M

So to stop getting the notification should I set the limit as say 5.1% of gross wages just to allow for a few cents in rounding?

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
30,510 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator

30510Posts

3786Kudos

4449Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @Penny_Accounts

Certainly changing that limit percentage would resolve that particular situation. If you are going down that road I would be adding 0.01 to the percentage rather than 0.10.

The only downside of that would be it opens up a slight probability that it could calculate above the required actual limit (i.e. 5%). As superannuation is calculated on a per month basis, you may encounter a situation where the employee has not had superannuation correctly calculated in a previous pay in the month and therefore would calculate higher in this pay to offset that. Normally, the limit restricts that but as you are looking at setting the limit slightly higher than you actually need it to be it may calculate a little bit of that extra superannuation when it may not be required. It's not something that will drastically impact your situation, especially if you set the limit to be 0.01% higher but something to consider and have in the back of your mind.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

Thanks @Steven_M

I think I will opt for 0.01% so as not to get the notification, and just keep it in mind when running super in the future to check the deductions aren't too high.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post