MYOBCommunity
Partner Zone
|
|
Partner Zone

STP - One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Trusted Cover User Penny_Accounts
86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

STP - One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

Hi, 

This morning I completed STP certification and got everything set up with the ATO.

I now have 2 pays to process that I did in V19, so the new online company file will match and be ready to go for 1/7/18.

However, while trying to procees the first week's pay I got this message pop up:

One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

This looks like somehting that was giving people grief back in 2015. So I checked my payroll categories and noticed the following:

Salary Sacrifice (deduction) when an employee pays 5% of gross wages into their Super.

Limit = 5% of gross wages.

Laptop deduction set at$50 per pay period.

Limit = $2743.95/year.

This is a very old payroll category, the employee doesn't work here any more.

So do I need to say no limit to both of these even if they are not being used?

Is chaging the salary sacrifice for Super limit going to change how I do payroll?

At the moment everything is automaticlly calculated for me; as in the 5% coming out of gross wages plus the additional employer 5% and the Employer SGC.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,034 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11034Posts

1251Kudos

1555Solutions

Re: STP - One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

HI @Penny_Accounts

Generally speaking that error refers to one or more of these mentioned payroll categories being used on the current pays as opposed to an unused payroll category.

To get around this you would need to locate the superannuation, deduction or expense account that has exceeded the pre-set limit in these pays. Once you have identified which category is producing the error, then you would need to either increase or remove the limit on that category. Once the limit has been extended or removed then it should allow the pay to be processed successfully

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

Re: STP - One or more deduction, superannuation or expense amounts have exceeded their limits

Hi @Neil_M

So if we ignore the old category - laptop deduction, the only other payroll category with a limit is the Salary Sacrifice for super - 5% of gross wages which has the limit set at 5% of gross wages. In theory if we then change that limit to none everything should work fine?

It just makes me nervous as I have just swapped from v19.xx and it was never an issue when running payroll on that system. I don't suddenly want employees being deducted more than 5% of gross wages per pay run.

Thanks

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,034 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11034Posts

1251Kudos

1555Solutions

HI @Penny_Accounts

In simple terms AccountRight 2018.2 is warning you that the amount of the limit is being exceeded, kind of like how a credit card declines if you hit the limit on the card. Changing the limit to none would be one way around it as no limit on the category would mean no limit to produce the error

The alternative would be incrementally increase the limit just enough so that the correct payment can go through, but nothing excessive. For instance if the limit was set as $50, and the payment was $55, you could increase the limit to $60 to allow the payment to go through whilst still retaining a degree of control in that no more than $60 would be able to go through.

Its worth noting that some superannuation wage categories, like the superannuation guarantee, calculate on a monthly basis so there may be some variation in the amount on the pay which may exceed the limit however be explainable.

Additionally if you had concerns that an amount was correct on a pay, if you knew the calculation basis you could manually perform the same calculation to confirm that the figure was correct

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

@Neil_M

So when you are processing a payroll, is it looking at each individual employee and then trying to work out the limit based on gross wages over the month, and then determine if the 5% limit has been exceeded?

Or would it look at total gross wages for all employees over a one month period and then base the 5% limit from that figure?

Thanks

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,034 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11034Posts

1251Kudos

1555Solutions

Hi @Penny_Accounts

The limit on a wage category is a per pay limit. So if you have set it to be a percentage of a wage category then the limit will trigger based on that pay and that pay alone.

So if you had set a limit of 5% of the gross wages for salary sacrifice, then whatever 5% of the gross wages on that pay works out to be is the limit figure. For example, if the gross pay was $100, a 5% limit on the gross would come out to $5. Because of this if the amount of salary sacrifice on this pay exceeded this $5 limit you would get the error about exceeding the limit.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post