1 Post
Partner
Australia
BHT_Partners

1Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

STP Update Event

Our business started Single Touch Payroll reporting in mid-Feb 2019 - part way through the financial year.  We have two employees who have been paid earlier in the financial year (one has terminated, the other is on parental leave).  Neither of these employees will be paid again in this financial year.  As STP through MYOB only reports on payments made in each pay event, these two employees' earlier payments have not been included in YTD figures as they have not been paid since we began using STP. 

According to the ATO I need to lodge an 'Update Event' to report these earlier payments, but from reading through posts in the MYOB Community, an 'Update Event' doesn't appear to be an option in MYOB AccountRight.

How can I report these earlier payments so that the ATO has a full picture of our 2019 YF payments and so that we do not need to produce Payment Summaries at the end of the financial year? 

9 REPLIES 9
MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
5,980 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

5980Posts

944Kudos

843Solutions

Re: STP Update Event

Hi @BHT_Partners 

I had a quick scroll through the forum and noticed your post went unanswered.

The basics of my answer all comes from my Post: Pay Processing FAQs with Single Touch Payroll (STP)

In MYOB's implementation, there is currently no Update Event and only a Pay Event. However, all Pay Events include all YTD information of your Pay for all Active employees (except those with an "Other" employment status)

This would mean come your very first STP report in MYOB this will send the current YTD Pay History along with it. The ATO should only be working off the YTD information whereas the Period-To-Date information is what is given to Businesses via the Business Portal.

In short: By the time you report the first Pay you don't need to do anything for your previous entries.

That said, if you have terminated any Employee's before your first report with STP there is something you need to do, I suggest having a read over the first Question in the link above to handle that scenario.

I do know that there will be an Update Event in the future however it's not specifically a necessity now as there is extra work being layed in before that comes in. Until then, you can force an update by running a $0 paycheque and reporting that to the ATO so that it forces a refresh of all YTD information at that point.

Hope this helped answer the topic, give me a shout if you have any extra questions on this topic.

Cheers,

Hayden
MYOB Product Analyst

Helpful links:

Product Ideas: AccountRight | Essentials | MYOB Capture | MYOB Invoices
Support Links: Support Notes | Forum Search | Status Page

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,587 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2587Posts

1984Kudos

376Solutions

Hi @Hayden_B 

Thanks for your post and the workaround.  I was recently reading the instructions for STP Creator, one of the alternative STP options for MYOB users who can't upgrade to AR2019. In their online Help, they mention that a key role played by an Update event is end of year finalisation. What you wrote about YTD being easily corrected by the next pay event is correct and this will work in most situations. The $0 pay is a neat workaround, I think. 

In terms of EOY finalisation however, after an employer does their final payroll for 2018/19, this year they have until 31 July 2019 (normally 14 July) to issue their 'Final' indicator to advise that the 'Payment Summary' or now 'Income Statement' can be regarded as final. Per the ATO this can be done as an Update event.

Typically in the past a MYOB user would do their final pay in June, run some reports, do some final checks, reconcile PAYG with what has been reported on their BAS and then issue their Payment Summaries - now with STP they need to send the Final indicator via STP instead.

The reason for all the checks at year end is due to the fact that we all make mistakes, and this is one way of ensuring what we are about to report for the year is in fact correct.

According to STP Creator, an Update event can also used to report things not reported during the year, such as RESC, RFBT etc. I have not used MYOB's STP feature so do not know how the final indicator and RESC RFBT etc are handled. I had assumed this was via an Update event. Your post suggests this is not the case.

Will AR2019 have an Update event by the end of June 2019 or is all of the above already allowed for in AR2019?

Given EOY is almost upon us, I'm sure many others users would also like to know if they need an Update event, or how to send the Final indicator as well as RESC etc come 30 June.

Regards

Gavin

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
5,980 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

5980Posts

944Kudos

843Solutions

Hi @gavin12345 

Since I joined a different team I'm not as up to date with the ongoings of STP though I do remember there being some server-side work done in order include the "Final" indicator on a report before EOY.

My understanding is that the idea is that a User can open the Reporting Centre and declare their last report as Final or have a checkbox as "Final" on the Declaration window. With it being server-side this should minimise any potential errors with the service working between both AccountRight and Essentials.

With that said, I'd like to get that confirmed. So I've had to reach out to the STP Support crew and see if they can help give me a more definitive answer. I'll come back to this once I've heard from them, given the problems that's happened this week I'm giving the support team some time to come back to me as they're a bit under the pump.

Cheers,

Hayden
MYOB Product Analyst

Helpful links:

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
5,980 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

5980Posts

944Kudos

843Solutions

Hi @gavin12345 

I didn't hear back from the support team, but I did find out from the Payroll Crew that there is an ability to finalise a report in the Payroll Reporting Centre. Here's a support note on the topic: End of year finalisation with Single Touch Payroll reporting

From what I can tell this is a recent update that came in the past week or 2.

As a note, my chat with the Payroll crew also let me find out that they are working on bringing an Update Event after this years Compliance Update and they're hoping to bring it out either late this year or early next year at the latest. 

Sorry it took so long getting the info.

Cheers,

Hayden
MYOB Product Analyst

Helpful links:

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,587 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2587Posts

1984Kudos

376Solutions

Thanks @Hayden_B 

Experienced Cover User MCR
11 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
MCR
Experienced Cover User

11Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Hayden

Just wondering if this has been updated with MYOB to include an updated event for any terminated employees as we have at least one terminated employee with wrong payroll information sent to ATO. 

MYOB Moderator Hayden_B
5,980 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Australia
Hayden_B
MYOB Moderator

5980Posts

944Kudos

843Solutions

Hi @MCR 

As far as I'm aware there is still no update event in AccountRight, however you can "fake" an update event by making the Terminated Employee active again in the software and creating a $0 (VOID) paycheque for them to send the YTD data to the ATO then make them inactive again.

The other alternative would be to create a Payment Summary for that Terminated Employee at End of Year and submit the Empdupe to the ATO to report that to the ATO like you may have done in previous years.

That said, I do know AccountEdge comes equipped with Update Events so for those looking for information on that, it's already present: Single Touch Payroll (STP)

Cheers,

Hayden
MYOB Product Analyst

Helpful links:

Experienced Cover User MCR
11 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
MCR
Experienced Cover User

11Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Hayden unterminating and processing a zero pay did fix for this employee but we have others that are simply not reporting correct figures each week. One employee, for example, has worked with us since September last year full time and each week he is still reporting as $713 (his first week's pay). All employees are linked to the same reporting catagory and others are reporting correct totals. We have done a pay for this employee since noticing the error and he still reports as the same total, and I have also done a zero pay today to see if it changes and it stays at $713.
What can I do?

MichelleMassey
1 Post
User
MichelleMassey

1Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

I visited a client today that had MYOB assistance to be upgraded from Premier V19 to Accountright 2019.2.

Verifying the data from the old file to the online version, I found that the amount of the Paid Parental Leave in the liability account had doubled from the original data. Net result was still $0 as the PPL period had been completed.

No visible difference in the transactions, until you pressed CTRL and R, which showed 2 extra lines in the 2019.2 file.

If you are trying to reconcile your Payroll expenses ( and in the case of PPL a libility account) back to your payment summaries, you will be out by the full amount of PPL received, due to the double up.

I called MYOB support, unfortunately the person I spoke to was only trained in MYOB Essentials and did not have the ability to transfer me to any payroll/ upgrade team as they were all busy. I asked for an email address to alert MYOB, and was told there wasnt one.

This doubling up would be very difficult for a consultant to find out, and therefore balance the year end payroll .

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post