Partner Zone
Partner Zone

Superannuation ATO reporting category - still a bit confused!

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
Trusted Cover User Penny_Accounts
86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Superannuation ATO reporting category - still a bit confused!

Hi, 

I am still a bit confused about assigning ATO categories to superannuation.

Our company pays 10% SGC, which is straightforward to assign. We then also offer employees an additional 5% super if they salary sacrifice 5% of gross wages.

We then have two employees who, in addition to the 5%, also contribute a fixed amount of wages per week ($40 and $90 respectively). Plus two more employees who contribute a fixed amount of $20 per week, but do not contribute 5% as well. For those employees, the company matches that $20 contribution, but does not match the extra $40 and $90 as we already match the salary sacrifice of 5%.

The part that is confusing me, is that we report the Salary Sacrifice (5%) as RESC and the employer additional (5%) as superannuation guarantee. However, while we can report the Additional Employer Other ($20) as RESC we can not report the Employee additional fixed $20. It is auto set at Not reportable and can not be changed.

Would that be correct? We are reporting employees extra super contributions, but only when it's 5% of wages?

Past end of year group certificates or payroll summaries have shown for the employees who contribute 5% salary sacrifice, RESC of an amount equal to their 5% salary sacrifice plus the 5% employer additional. The RESC was blank for the employees contributing the fixed amount of $20 per week.

Please see below for the categories we are using, as I am confused as to whether the payroll categories should be changed (or not) before I assign the ATO category.

NAME

TYPE

LISTING

ATO CATEGORY

Additional Employer Other

Employer Additional

Expense

Reportable Employer Super Contribution

Employee Additional Fixed $20

Employee Additional

Deduction

Not Reportable

Employee Additional Fixed $40

Employee Additional

Deduction

Not Reportable

Employee Additional Fixed $90

Employee Additional

Deduction

Not Reportable

Employer Additional 5%

Superannuation Guarantee

Expense

Superannuation Guarantee

Employer SGC

Superannuation Guarantee

Expense

Superannuation Guarantee

Salary Sacrifice

Salary Sacrifice

Deduction

Reportable Employer Super Contribution

I hope this is clear, and thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

Re: Superannuation ATO reporting category - still a bit confused!

After discussing with my accountant today, we have decided that Employer additional 5% which is used to match employee salary sacrifice contributions should be set as Employer additional (payroll category) and then RESC (STP category).

However it looks like I can not change the payroll category from superannuation guarantee to employer additional - it is greyed out and unchangable.

We would like to change it to Employer additional - RESC because when payment summaries are generated online in 2019 we don't want the ATO to add the 10% actual SGC to the 5% matching of salary sacrifice as it would look like some employees are being paid 15% SGC and then only 5% as a salary sacrifice / RESC.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? 

MYOB Product Team Haydes
6,147 Posts
MYOB Product Team
Australia
Haydes
MYOB Product Team

6147Posts

994Kudos

876Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Hi @Penny_Accounts

The Superannuation Guarantee Contribution Type is hard locked to use Superannuation Guarantee as the ATO reporting Category and the Contribution Type cannot be changed once it has been set, this is by default to any SGC categories in AccountRight.

For your situation, I have seen a similar type of issue before and I detailed a few options and what to do with that in a different post, I suggest reading over my reply to this thread: STP Additional Employer Super ATO reporting category

Please let us know if you have any questions on that.

Cheers,

Hayden
MYOB Product Team
86 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Penny_Accounts
Trusted Cover User

86Posts

23Kudos

2Solutions

Thanks @Haydes

As I can't change the contribution type at the moment, I think I will do as you suggested and make the new payroll category without assigning it to any employees, then switch over on Monday.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post