AccountRight 2017.1 now available

StevenR
92 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

92Posts

0Kudos

2Solutions

In this release we’ve updated AccountRight with some important compliance changes for Australian businesses, and fixed lots of stability, display, printing, usability and reporting issues.

This update also includes a few of your requests made on the AccountRight Idea Exchange - look out for the green tick tick_small.png below to see what's been implemented.

A big update for Australian employers

Updated payment summaries

The ATO has updated the electronic reporting specifications for payment summaries, and the changes affect the forms that you print for your employees and the data you send to the ATO via the Business Portal.

You need to install this update before preparing payment summaries for the 2016-17 financial year if you employ working holiday makers or if Section 57A of the Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986 applies to you.

Working holiday makers

If you hire people on Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) or Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462), new taxation rules came into effect on 1 January 2017.

If you’re registered to withhold tax at the working holiday maker tax rate, you need to assign a new tax table to your working holiday maker employee cards. If you’re not registered, you must use the appropriate foreign resident tax table when paying working holiday makers.

To assign the new tax tables to working holiday makers:

1. Load the new tax tables: After installing AccountRight 2017.1, go to the Setup menu and choose Load Tax Tables. Then go to the Setup menu and choose General Payroll Information to confirm the Tax Table Revision Date is 1/01/2017.

2. Assign the new tax tables: In the working holiday maker’s card, select the Working Holiday Maker tax table, or if no tax file number has been provided by the employee, select No Tax File Number Working Holiday Maker.

Working holiday makers tax tablesWorking holiday makers tax tables

Have holiday maker employees who started work prior to 1/1/2017? See our Working Holiday Maker help topic.

For more information about handling working holiday maker payments, see the ATO’s website. 

Reportable fringe benefit changes

If you’re an institution that’s covered by Section 57A of the Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986, there are changes to how fringe benefits are reported on payment summaries.

Affected businesses are mainly not-for-profit organisations, such as public benevolent institutions, health promotion charities, some hospitals and public ambulance services. If section 57A applies, you need to report the benefits that fall under that section on the payment summary, and show other reportable fringe benefits provided to the employees separately.

To help with these changes, we’ve updated the Reportable Fringe Benefit step of the Payment Summary Assistant. When the Section 57A of the FBTAA 1986 applies to me option is selected, two columns will appear so you can enter the different types of reportable fringe benefits.

s57a_checkbox.png

To see how fringe benefits are reported on payment summaries, see the Reportable Fringe Benefit help topic.

Easier ways to search for transactions

The Bank Feeds window now has a search field, so you can filter the window to only show transactions that have a date, description or amount that matches your search criteria. Idea: Search box in Bank Feeds to be added  tick_small.png

The Sales Register and Purchases Register also show a search field, so you can find sales and purchases within the selected date range faster. When viewing the All Sales or All Purchases tab, type a few letters or an amount you’re looking for and all matching sales will appear. When searching from within one of the other tabs in the register, the results will be filtered to just the sales or purchases of the selected type.

SalesRegister_Searchfield.png

Here’s what else we improved and fixed

Sales and purchases

• Improved: Previously, discounts for sales and purchases would be applied only if the full payment was made before the discount expiry date. Now the discount will also apply if the sale or purchase is paid on the expiry date.
  • Improved: When using the right-click menu in the Cards List window to print a statement for a specific customer, the Review Statements Before Delivery window now filters to the customer you selected.
  • Improved: The area of the Pay Bills window that shows your business name now supports 40 characters, up from 22.
  • Fixed: After printing a remittance advice in the Pay Bills window in AccountRight 2016.3, you would be prompted to record the transaction, even though it had already been recorded. This has been fixed.
  • Fixed: Quotes recorded using the Professional layout no longer add a comma after the customer’s first name when you print them or save them as PDF files.
  • Fixed: When creating a bill, you can now only enter a maximum of 20 characters in the Supplier Inv No. field. Previously you could enter more than 20, but an error message would appear.
  • Fixed: When migrating a sale or purchase form (Item or Time Billing layout) from an AccountRight classic version (v19 or earlier), the unit prices will now show the full decimal value, instead of always rounding to 2 decimal places.
  • Fixed: Previously, if you customised the table in a sale or purchase form (Item or Time Billing layout), the unit price would then round to 2 decimal places. Now it will continue to show the full decimal value.
  • Fixed: The Print button that was in the Customer Reimbursable Expenses > To Be Reimbursed window would display an error message when clicked. The Print button has been removed from this window, but you can still display a Customer Reimbursable Expenses report by going to the Index to Reports window.

Accounts and banking

• New: Now you can copy details from the Bank Feeds window to the Windows clipboard, and paste them into a spreadsheet, document or email - great for when you need to send someone a list of bank feed transactions you don’t recognise. To copy the details, right-click the list of transactions, and choose Copy List to Clipboard from the menu that appears. Then paste the content in the other document or application. Idea: Unallocated Bank Feed Report tick_small.png

BankFeeds_Copylist.png

• New (Australia): Need finance fast? You can now access the MYOB Loans website from within AccountRight. Go to the Services menu and choose MYOB Loans to apply for a loan, quickly and easily.
  • Improved: To avoid creating accounts with incorrect tax codes, the Tax Code field in the Account Information window will now default to blank and you’ll need to select one before you can save the account.
  • Fixed (Australia): References to M-Powered Payments has been removed from the Bank File button’s field help in the Prepare Electronic Payments window.

Importing and exporting

• Improved: Drop-down menus in the File Type and Data Type steps of the Import and Export Assistant are now sorted alphabetically and you can select items from the list by typing the first letter of the item you want.
  • Fixed: The Import and Export Assistant no longer flickers when choosing to import or export at step 1.
  • Fixed: When exporting activity slips, any job numbers that have been assigned will also be exported.
  • Fixed: A spelling mistake in the Import Error window has been fixed.

Reports

• Improved: When displaying the Job Reimbursable Expenses report from the Job Information > Job Reimbursables Expenses window, the report will now automatically be filtered to show only reimbursable expenses for the job that you’re viewing.
  • Fixed: The Sales [Item Summary] report now displays quotes when the Sales Status report filter is set to show Quotes only, or All Sales.
  • Fixed: An issue that caused incorrect values to appear in the Account Transactions [Cash] report and the Profit And Loss [Cash] report when a partly-paid invoice had both positive and negative amount lines in the invoice has been corrected.
  • Fixed: The description showing in the Index to Reports window for the Job Reimbursables Expenses report, Item Transactions report, and Employee Advice Summary report (Australia) had spelling mistakes that have been fixed. Idea: Fix Spelling Errors tick_small.png

Usability and UI

• Improved: Pressing Ctrl+Y now opens the most relevant view of the Find Transactions window, based on the command centre that is selected.
  • Improved: You can now sort the Item Number column in the Build Items window and the Auto-Build tab of the Item Information window. This will make it easier to work with finished items that have lots of components, and to see if a component has already been added. Idea: Auto-build list sorting tick_small.png
  • Improved: When adding or editing records, like jobs, items, categories, employment classifications, activities, superannuation funds or tax codes, if the code you enter has a space at the beginning or end, we’ll automatically remove it, instead of showing an error.
  • Improved: To avoid confusion, the About window now only displays the AccountRight product version and a build number. Previously a ‘File version’ was also shown.
  • Fixed: For more consistency, references to “log in” and “log out” have been replaced with “sign in” and “sign out” in the Library Browser window, the Services menu and the company file Sign In window.
  • Fixed: Inconsistent font sizes in the Preferences window have been cleaned up.
  • Fixed (Australia): The Pay Super self-service page has been tweaked so it’s clearer that only the Pay Super limit can be changed online, not the bank details.
  • Fixed: A spelling mistake was fixed in the message that appears if you attempt to delete an account that has transactions.
  • Fixed: The terms and conditions checkbox label would not display correctly in the AccountRight installer window when the Windows display settings were set at 125%. This has been resolved.
  • Fixed: The vertical alignment of text in AccountRight’s status bar has been adjusted, and characters aren’t cut off when the Windows display settings are set at 125%.
  • Fixed: We’ve updated the AccountRight window icon that appeared in the Customise Forms, Index to Reports and Migrate Custom Forms windows.
  • Fixed: Several AccountRight windows previously displayed incorrect help pages, or didn’t have help topics associated with them. We’ve fixed them so you can access the help and troubleshooting information you want with just one click, from any AccountRight window.

Stability improvements

• Fixed: An issue causing AccountRight to crash when it hadn’t been used for a while has been resolved. If you were having this issue in 2016.3 and turned off automatic synchronisation as a temporary fix, you can turn it on again.
  • Fixed: Issues causing AccountRight to display a “DataInvalid” error message when recording or deleting transactions have been resolved. Previously this would have required the company file to be sent in to MYOB to be repaired.

How to update

This update will be available to all AccountRight subscribers in Australia and New Zealand over the next few days. You'll be prompted to update when you open your company file.

If you’re using AccountRight v19, sign in to my.myob.com.au or my.myob.co.nz to download the v2017.1 installer.

Having issues updating? Get help with installation and update issues

43 Comments
gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User

Hi,

In one of the opening paragraphs, it states:

"You need to install this update before preparing payment summaries for the 2016-17 financial year if you employ working holiday makers or if Section 57A of the Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986 applies to you."

My understanding (based on discussions with a developer using latest ATO Specifications) was that if an employer reports any RFBT amount on an employee's payment summary, the Payment Summary MUST have a 'x' in the Yes or No box next to the question "Is the employer exempt from FBT under section 57A of the FBTAA 1986"? Otherwise the EMPDUPE file will fail lodgement. 

And secondly, every INB payment summary must have a box to the right of the Gross Payments box indicating an 'S' for Salary and Wage or a 'H' for Working Holiday Maker. 

If this is the case (and I suggest you check the specifications), then the above paragraph may need to be changed as every employer will need to install the update. 

Regards

Gavin

StevenR
92 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Gavin (@gavin12345), thanks for your feedback!

While the ATO's v12.0.1 PSAR spec does show that only payment summaries in the v12 format will be accepted in 2017, the ATO has previously confirmed to us that they will accept EMPDUPE files in the v11 format, unless you employ working holiday makers or are affected by s57A of the FBTAA.

We're reconfirming these details with the ATO at the moment, and as soon as we hear from them, we'll post back here.

steve

MirandaBell
Contributing Partner
10 Posts
Contributing Partner

Has anything been done to address custom form emailing quality? This has been an ongoing issue for a number of years. Printed forms are fine, but when invoices and statements are emailed directly from MYOB AR Live the quality is appaling.

Rebecca23
Trusted Cover User
29 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Has this release fixed the incompatibility with Office 365 for exporting to excel and sending emails? 

Thanks.

kindy3
Experienced Cover User
41 Posts
Experienced Cover User

And we still can't email receipts or print a batch of reports!

charmed88
1 Post
Cover User

Hi i am still having issues when paying employees, all time sheets are currently entered manually, no problem but when i go to pay staff it continually brings up all employees in my card base, now with quite a few casuals in my list ont work every week, i am finding it frustrating to uncheck every week up to 20 $0.00 balance pays.

wendy_12345
Contributing Cover User
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Hi, 

I have run the update and received the message that the update was successfully completed but my file version is still 2016.3.19.1695.

When I go to Setup>Load Payroll Tax Tables, the revision date is 01/10/2016.

How can I re-install the update?

Thanks

Wendy

StevenR
92 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Wendy (@wendy_12345),

Sounds like you have successfully installed AccountRight 2017.1, but are opening AccountRight using the old 2016.3 icon.

Double-check that you're opening AccountRight using the new AR icon on your desktop or Start menu. The 2017.1 icon looks just like the 2016.3 icon, but it's labelled with the new version number. 

To avoid confusion, you can uninstall AccountRight 2016.3 once you've got 2017.1 up and running.

steve

wendy_12345
Contributing Cover User
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Thanks @StevenR

Wendy

Susan164
2 Posts
Cover User

You shouldn't need to have a new icon per update....MYOB would have to be the only system left in the world that requires this.  You should have an icon that updates automatically.  This and many other small anomolies is almost enough to move me to XERO.

Do you use real people in real business to test your updates before you go live; user acceptance testing would be the best way to go.....give it some thought and you might be surprised at what you find.

Susan164
2 Posts
Cover User

And I forgot to mention why should we need to update/upgrade MYOB on every machine we use (adhoc) when realistically it sitting in the 'cloud' - also unheard of.

GDK
Super Partner
680 Posts
Super Partner

Hi @Susan164

Only the company data file is located on the cloud. MYOB program files are stored on a workstation or server.

WendyE
Experienced Cover User
60 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Your AccountRight 2017-1 notes say we will be prompted to update when we logon.  We have not yet received this prompt, yet I can see in my.myob that the update is ready.  As we have multiple users this needs to be done I do not want to have to logonto my.myob multiple times to update each computer and would prefer to have each user update their own computer when prompted (I realise being the Administrator I will need to update teh cloud before they can update their computer).  When will the update prompt be available when each user logs on?

Tallie_M
4,461 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Susan164,

Thanks for your feedback - I've shared it with the team.

As per @GDK's post, please note that only the company files are stored in the cloud (if using the online option). The actual software is installed on your machine or server and is what is updated when we release a new version of AccountRight.

Cheers,

Tallie

MYOB Social Support

Tallie_M
4,461 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @WendyE,

AccountRight updates are typically made available on my.MYOB before the in-product update messages begin to appear. At the moment, we are still in the process of our staggered release of the update via my.MYOB. The in-product update message should appear in your software once that process has been completed - we anticipate this to be some time in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Tallie

MYOB Social Support

Kim_Green123
Experienced Cover User
34 Posts
Experienced Cover User

After doing the update for 2017.1 do you need to load the tax tables and assign the new tax tables if you do not employee holiday workers?

StevenR
92 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Kim (@Kim_Green123),

Great question - you don't need to load the tax tables supplied with 2017.1 unless you employ working holiday makers.

We'll be releasing another AccountRight update closer to 30 June that will have the tax tables that apply from 1 July 2017.

steve

Mags
Trusted Cover User
103 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Hi,

In reference to the Payroll Entitlement Reports, has the decemical point been fixed from 2 to 3 for hours to match the Entitlements in the Employee's Card File?

Its very time consuming going to each Employees Card File and noting down the correct figures when reconciling Payroll each month.

When will the bug fixes with Inventory be sorted out?

Thank you.

Deb001
4 Posts
Cover User

The description of the fixes doesn't appear to have addressed the problem of employee cards not being able to be opened.  At the moment I have four MYOB files and pretty much fortnightly I need to contact MYOB support and have their "fix" run over the file to allow employee cards to be opened..  Support are really helpful and understand that when you're doing payroll, not being able to access employee cards makes things difficult so they are prompt in their response but this issue has been ongoing for over a year and I would think it would be a priority for MYOB.

sme-warrior
2 Posts
Cover User

Just upgraded to MYOB AccountRight 2017.1 build 2017.1.19.7037 and 'Spend Money' the amount cell in the detail line is not defaulting to the total and even more serious, after entering one transactions, the amount stays in the cell and does not reset! What is going on? 

aatrev
Experienced Cover User
21 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Upgrades,

I heard myob will eliminate the silly axtra login for 12hrs section of programme. Thats such a pain in the but.

DeeJay56
1 Post
Cover User

Given that there will be another update closer to June 30 with the new tax tables, can we not bother with this update (we don't have any holiday worker employees), and just wait  and update with the next update with the revised tax tables? ie just miss this update altogether?

Adele-E
1 Post
Cover User

Would be nice to have the  "print  2 copies" file fixed for people who have to print 2 copies for there business / staff. Each time we print an invoice we have to select 2 copies in print preferences. 

ange193
Experienced Cover User
12 Posts
Experienced Cover User

When I try to load the tax tables in 2017.1 it says the payroll tax table file can't be found.

StevenR
92 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @ange193

This isn't a common issue, but we've found that anti-virus software and other security settings can block the tax tables from being installed.

Try this:

1. Download the 2017.1 PC installer from myob.com/download.

2. Uninstall AccountRight 2017.1.

3. If you can, disable/pause your antivirus software.

4. Right-click the installer file you downloaded and choose "Run as Administrator" from the menu that appears.

5. When installation is complete, turn your antivirus software back on. 

6. Open your company file and try loading the tax tables again.

Hope that works for you!

steve

sme-warrior
2 Posts
Cover User

comment cancelled

Airserv
Contributing Cover User
12 Posts
Contributing Cover User

I  SELECT THE MENU AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE - NOTHING HAPPENS - AND THE CURSOR DOES NOT MOVE TO THE SELECTED HEADING 

Airserv
Contributing Cover User
12 Posts
Contributing Cover User

TO BE MORE EXPLICET - WHEN THE PURPLE CURSER IS UNDER THE DASHBOARD HEADING AND SAY I CLICK ON THE BANKING HEADING - THE PURPLE CURSOR STAYS UNDER THE DASHBOARD HEADING AND ALSO APPEARS UNDER THE BANKING HEADING - THE BANKING MENU POPS DOWN - HOWEVER WHEN YOU CLICK ON ONE OF THE BANKING DROP DOWN MENU ITEMS - THEY DO NOT GET SELECTED AND THE PURPLE CURSOR DISAPPEARS FROM UNDER THE BANKING HEADING BUT IT STILL REMAINS UNDER THE DASHBOARD HEADING ???

Albert_De Giouveia
Contributing Partner
8 Posts
Contributing Partner

susan64

There are companies and advisors that run different versions of the software for different reasons therefore the different icons and versions.

The data file being in the cloud and software on the PC is in fact a designed feature so you can work offline when the internet is not good enough or in areas where there is no internet or speed is needed, again a design feature, not a flaw. Many businesses do not want the data file in the cloud at all and MYOB AR etc. caters for this. 

If you want cloud only access MYOB Essentials is a great alternative with powerful features.

Stepho
3 Posts
Cover User

HI

The security options at login are uncessary and the constant reminders are annoying.

Also, accrual journals that reverse into the next period would be appreciated.

richardh9935
Experienced Cover User
52 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Does this update require us to update the company file?

StevenR
92 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @richardh9935

Yes, if you open an AccountRight 2016.x company file in 2017.1 you'll be prompted to upgrade the file, and it will upgrade for you automatically.

steve 

WBR
2 Posts
Cover User

Hi, Just trying to do the upgrade and nothing happens

I click on the upgrade box, it takes me to the section where I select my company file, the purple circle starts spinning and then it just opens the company file and the update prompt is still present under the menu bar???

What do I need to do?

StevenR
92 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @WBR

Please check the AccountRight version you're opening your file with (open the file, then go to the Help menu > About).

If it's 2016.3, click the Upgrade button again to update to 2017.1. If you're unable to update this way, download the installer from myob.com/download and double-click the file to install it. And remember to use the new 2017.1 desktop/Start icon to open your company file.  

steve

StevenR
92 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Gavin (@gavin12345)

The ATO has just let us know they will accept payment summaries in the v11 and v12 PSAR format for 2017. However, if you employ working holiday makers or are affected by s57A of the FBTAA, you do need to either upgrade to 2017.1 before preparing the payment summaries, or lodge them using paper forms.

[UPDATE 14/06/2017]: See http://softwaredevelopers.ato.gov.au/PSARspecification for more details about what the ATO will accept this year.

steve

Bumwitdebits
Experienced Cover User
22 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi, I'd like a recommendation on the order of steps to do the upgrade.   I need to roll over 2016 to 2017, and upgrade (to 2017.1) and load tax tables. 

Should I upgrade before rolling over the year or roll over first ?

thanks

Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff

HI @Bumwitdebits

Thanks for your question.

Am I correct in assuming your meaning rolling over the financial year as opposed to the payroll year?

If you are wanting to close the financial year in your file, it is separate to the loading of the tax tables. The rolling of a financial year should only be done after your accountant has completed their end of year journals, generally this is after the end of the year and as a result you would have upgraded first.

In contrast if you are referring to closing the payroll year you will need to have completed your last pay of this year before looking at updating. Once the last pay of the year has been completed then you will need to install the latest update, followed by the preparing of the payment summaries and then closing off the payroll year.

Once the payroll year has been closed, then you will need to load the tax tables before the first pay of the new payroll year. If this is skipped then the tax will be incorrect on the first pay of the new year.

Do feel free to post any other questions that you may have.

Bumwitdebits
Experienced Cover User
22 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi Neil_M, thanks for the reply.  I should have been clearer... I need to

- close off the financial year ending June 2016,

- prepare payment summaries

- close off the payroll year ending June 2017,

- upgrade to 2017.1

- install new tax tables.

What's the best order for these steps ?

thanks

Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Bumwitdebits

In my previous post was a link to our help article about closing off the Payroll year, which I do recommend that you have a look at. This help article does have a video which encompasses the entire end of payroll year process in the order that we recommend.

Before closing off the financial year, we do recommend checking with your accountant over whether or not the end of year entries have been completed for that financial year. If your accountant has advised that the entries have been completed and it is safe to roll over the financial year, then this can be done at any point irrespective of where you are in the process to close off your payroll year.

Kieara
1 Post
Cover User

Hi, we use 2016.3 AccountRight as an online file.  Do we need to install the update on our server and then every machine individually?

Neil_M
13,473 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Kieara

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a great resource.

To be able to access an online AccountRight file, all computers need to be running the same version to be able to access the file. If you were to try and access the file using a lower version, you will get a prompt advising you that you need to use a specific version of AccountRight to be able to access the online file.

You can check with your IT professional as some network setups do not need to have you go from computer to computer to install the updates. However, in saying that most simpler setups will require you to install the update on each computer individually.

Please don’t hesitate to post any time you have a question,

freddy
2 Posts
Cover User

Good Afternoon,

Could someone please send me through the download links for .msi versions of 2017.1?

Thanks,

Josh.

Jake_N
MYOB Moderator
1,419 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @freddy,

I have sent you a private message (click here for help) with additional information about how to get a hold of the installer link.

Feel free to post any additional questions on this thread.