AccountRight 2021.1 is now available

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

45,180Posts

0Kudos

6,759Solutions

The release of AccountRight 2021.1 will save you time and effort when it comes to how you install and manage your software.

Automatic updates Having to manually install software is so 2020. With automatic updates, your software will update to the latest version in the background without you needing to do anything.

Superannuation status improvements (AU only) We’ve improved how superannuation lodgment status is labeled to make things clearer and prevent overpayment.

Bug fixes and stability improvements As usual, there are plenty of under-the-hood improvements to make your experience using AccountRight better than ever.

Automatic updates for AccountRight

We’ve had feedback from you that the process for updating AccountRight isn’t always easy.

Having to download and manually install updates can be time consuming, especially if you have multiple PCs in your business using AccountRight. We want to keep our promise to deliver you more value more regularly, without creating extra effort for you to manage updates.

AccountRight 2021.1 will check for available updates, download them and update you to the latest version automatically. This means no more having to pick a time to stop your business using the software, downloading and installing the update and upgrading your file. When a new version is available, the next time you open AccountRight it will be on the latest version – just like that!

See here for more information on Automatic updates

Changes for AccountRight server edition users

If you’re using AccountRight Server Edition to share offline files across a network, you’ll need to make sure that all users accessing those files are also using Server Edition, including those workstations accessing the server. This is to make sure that all versions of AccountRight across your network stay the same, since any PC installer versions will automatically update while the server version won’t.

To check if you're using the Server Edition, look for SE in your desktop shortcut description.

Here's an example:

If there's no SE, you're using the PC edition.

Reminder – support for Windows 7

Microsoft discontinued support for Windows 7 on January 4th, 2020. MYOB ended its extended support of AccountRight on Windows 7 on March 31st, 2020.

If you’re using Windows 7, it’s important that you upgrade to a supported operating system to keep your system secure and operating reliably.

For more information, check out the Windows 7 end of support page from Microsoft, or speak to your IT provider. 

Superannuation status for reversed pay runs

We’ve improved the statuses of superannuation payments to make it clearer when a payment has been reversed. Previously, when you reversed a superannuation payment transaction, the status did not update to reflect that the transaction had been reversed. This meant another user might not realise the transaction was reversed and authorise the payment to the fund.

Attachment2.PNG

Now, when a payment is reversed, the status will update to Reversal completed, alerting all users that the payment has been reversed to prevent payment being completed.

Attachment.PNG

Now when payments with the following statuses are reversed, the status will change to Reversal completed:

• Pending authorisation
  • Partial authorisation
  • Payment failed
  • Withdraw failed
  • Reversal required

General improvements and fixes

That’s not all! We have the usual enhancements and fixes to make your experience using AccountRight even better in 2021.1.

• Job number character limit We’ve extended the character limit for job numbers from 15 to 30 characters
  • Importing and exporting journals in foreign currencies You can now export your foreign currency general journal transactions, extending the functionality of the recent foreign currency general journal release
  • Importing activity slips with decimals in the ‘units’ field This is now supported when a payroll category is allocated (AU only)

Bug fixes and stability improvements No release of AccountRight would be complete without squashing some pesky bugs. We’ve improved support for transactions entered via AccountRight’s browser interface as well as smaller bugs using foreign currencies, printing reports and more. And of course, we’ve given AccountRight further tune ups to make it faster and more reliable than ever. 

API Improvements and fixes

‘Custom list’ endpoints The custom list feature allows you to set up lists of predefined attributes and assign them to your items and contacts to enhance and organise your data. You can now read the custom lists and their values via the API.

If you're using on offline file and access third party apps using the Add-on connector, you'll need to restart the Add-on connector after installing 2021.1. For information on how to do this, see Add-ons.

48 Comments
H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User

So, with the automatic updates (I read the extra information link), it's not entirely clear. Will we still be able to delay the update install until bug fixes have been ironed out, or will they be automatically installed on the first restart whether that is done straight away or "later"?

The superannuation changes are great - thanks. Any chance of those same superannuation statuses being applied to payroll entries that have been reversed? I'm more worried about someone sending a reversed pay to the bank than I am about a superannuation payment. 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @H-TS 

When updates are available to the new application, AccountRight will download the upgrade in the background. The update is then applied when AccountRight is closed. This does mean that users will always be on the updated version to ensure that receive the benefits of that latest version.

gavin12345
Ultimate User
4,953 Posts
Ultimate User

Hi @H-TS 

So it seems the more accurate response from @Steven_M could have been: 

... This does mean that users will always be on the updated version to ensure that they receive the benefits of that latest version (as well as the new bugs).

Regards

Gavin

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User

@gavin12345 Well, I did come back and start typing something along those lines but I fear I'm already on the borderline of being flagged as a MYOB forum troll since all I seem to do these days is complain, so I deleted it before posting. Smiley Frustrated 

fullofquestions
Trusted Cover User
88 Posts
Trusted Cover User

I have just tried to download the update, and nothing happens, has this one been waylaid because of issues as well.

I don't like the idea of MYOB being updated automatically so that we can report the bugs instead of you testing it properly.

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User

@fullofquestions Clicking on the "download" button in my.myob doesn't work for me either but I right-clicked and said open link in a new tab and that downloaded the file and I was able to update. Fingers crossed 2021.1 actually works. Smiley Happy

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User

"And of course, we’ve given AccountRight further tune ups to make it faster and more reliable than ever."

Hahahahahahahahahaha... Um, hello MYOB developers, have you browsed this forum? AccountRight is becoming less and less reliable with features mysteriously disappearing from the original (fantastic) classic desktop version when transitioning to AccountRight online. Some fields are no longer available on the show/hide button for reports, entire reports have been removed, implementation of emailing receipts has apparently been planned since at least 2013, the pays must be reversed instead of deleted "upgrade" while in theory sounds great for STP etc, in reality, it's creating more dramas and messy MYOB files, especially in businesses with more than one payroll processing person... I could write an essay but this is enough to get the frustration off my chest for today.

Oh, and if I get a new badge for this comment, I think I'll just scream. 

JackieW
Trusted Cover User
100 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Have you also resolved the issue of the having to unlock the Perfernces Lock Date to allow a reversal to proceed even though it isn't in a locked period?

Also a the option of setting a default bank account for Superannuation - I made this suggestion many updates ago.  I have a client who keeps a separate bank account for Superannuation & BAS payments and having to remember to change the account when paying the Superannuation is a problem.  I have to do GJ entry to correct it as you cannot just open the Transaction and change the Bank Account.

Ajenkins
2 Posts
User

Hi, Is there a bug fix to correct the issue with emailing an invoice automatically, caused by the last update? I would hope so, or are we going to go backwards with another step. Having to follow your work around and manually email invoices is very time consuming.

Randall-Heating
5 Posts
User

Please clarify, will MYOB accountright still work with Windows 7? What happens if we don't upgrade for another 12 months? What kind of issus will we face?

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Randall-Heating 

As of 31st March 2020, MYOB has stopped support for Windows 7.

With this particular update, AccountRight 2021.1, we have not tested and therefore do not supported this version of the software on Windows 7. This does mean unwanted errors during the installation or running of the application, which may even prevent access to files can occur and MYOB Support would not be able to aid in the diagnosis or support of using this verison on the Operating System.

If you are still using Windows 7 we do recommend upgrading your Operating System as soon as possible.

RRB
Experienced Cover User
30 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Re automatic updates:

This should be an option in MYOB software for users to select if they want automatic updates or not - MYOB shouldn't be making it compulsory for every user once they download AccountRight v2021.  

Re Job Number character limit:

This is great (and well overdue as I recall requesting it many years ago).  However, has MYOB also increased the size of the columns where Job Numbers are shown in invoicing/purchasing/banking etc windows so that the full 30 characters can be seen without having to click on the Job No?  

RRB
Experienced Cover User
30 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Ignore my comment re Job Number column size - forgot for a moment that column sizes are adjustable.

susdeer
1 Post
User

I find the new invoice options in the online application very poor, you can't change the format of the invoice, you cannot enter a ship to address unless you change it on the card, when printing/exporting an invoice it will print the billing address but won't include the shipping address on the invoice.  These are major concerns for me to use the online program, still requires alot of work

RRB
Experienced Cover User
30 Posts
Experienced Cover User

In your paragraph re new AccountRight v2021 it says bug fixes re printing reports and more, but there's no detail about what has been fixed?

Bug fixes and stability improvements No release of AccountRight would be complete without squashing some pesky bugs. We’ve improved support for transactions entered via AccountRight’s browser interface as well as smaller bugs using foreign currencies, printing reports and more. And of course, we’ve given AccountRight further tune ups to make it faster and more reliable than ever. 

We were hoping the deleted "Allocation Memo" field from Job Transaction Report had been reinstated, but sadly no it still only shows Notes as an option and as I've previously complained about Notes field has nothing to do with Job Transaction Report.

Acu-ease
Trusted User
49 Posts
Trusted User

Ok, so a few pressing questions about the automatic updates:

We use AccountRight Premier OFFLINE.

1. So far, every time we update the software, I have had to go into all the Win10 user accounts on our office computer and change the library location, so all users access the same file, as it never carries over to the updated version. Will it remember the location I have set when it updates itself? If not, we'll end up with multiple versions of the same file in different library locations.
  2. I have set up custom changes to a few of the Excel templates, to make report analysis quicker. Every time we update, I have to go to the Spreadsheet folder of the previous version, copy my custom templates, and then replace them in the Spreadsheet folder of the new version. Will the automatic updates use the same set of templates as the previous version, or will it continue to install a new Spreadsheet folder every time?
  3. If it doesn't carry over custom settings and templates when updating, will there at least be a notification in the software to let users know that there has been an update, so I can mitigate the amount of mess that is created?

Thanks,

Annette

Anita_MO
Experienced Cover User
20 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Since I have updated to 2021.1.0 version each day when I turn on my computer and sign in I have to re-enter my email and password and get a two factor verification. I always tick the save the details for this computer and previously I only had to receive the 2 factor verficiation every 30 days. It's my personal computer which I only use. Can someone suggest a solution?

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Acu-ease 

The library location is set by the application. With previous versions you would have been installing a new version of the software thus the default library setup would be applied to that new application. With this new version, you do only have the one application that is updated each time thus the library settings will be retained. 

As the new version should store that information into the "Current" folder you shouldn't need to look at copying and pasting folders and templates. 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @Anita_MO 

Would recommend checking out the Help Article: Trust this device for 30 days. If you require further assistance after reading that article then we do recommend starting a new thread on this Community Forum.

Robbiebobbob
3 Posts
Cover User

There is no way I want automatic updates. I try to hold off on updates as long as possible so I dont have to put up with more aweful change- the one where you now have to reverse payrolls and can no longer delete is a nightmare. I dont use the live version of the software for GL because it has so many idiosyncracies that make data entry more difficult and worse still make it less reliable. Too many glitches, trying to be too much, trying to be too fancy. Basically unreliable. Please keep a simple PC GL version for those of us who dont want fancy and more more, we just want accurate and simple.....please!

SRK
Trusted Cover User
99 Posts
Trusted Cover User

Hi

I have the new version - and am trying to use it online .  I wondered if there was a list of the features that can be used online and those that are not available.  I have had two issues - I can't see Purchase Orders online, and access to staff who had limited roles was full (they could see all the banking details).  A list of the features would be helpful otherwise there is some experimentation involved.

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @SRK 

If you are referring to the AccountRight Desktop application and what features are only available for online company files - Help Article: Some features are only available if your file’s online is the one for you.

If you are referring to the browser experience of AccountRight see Help Articles: Access an AccountRight company file in a web browserWhat you can and can't do in AccountRight web browser.

JeffHarsh
Contributing User
10 Posts
Contributing User

When will the Stock alert be fixed?

It shows the items that are under the reorder level but doesnt take into account comitted items

We have to raise the order and then go back in to add items and change qtys

This worked very well before Accountright   !!!

GB-NZ
7 Posts
User

Can you still choose between manual and automatic. I do not trust MYOB to not change some API or configuration which could stop some of our third party scripts.

GB-NZ
7 Posts
User

When will MYOB log all changes. Especially when you delete an invoice. NO history is shown of this and is a MASSIVE area for fraud!

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @GB-NZ 

The AccountRight PC Edition will deliver automatic updates from this release.  The Server Edition will require manual updates to be installed (similar to previous versions).

Deletions of invoices as tracked by the Journal Security Audit report - Reports>>Accounts>>Security and Audit.

GB-NZ
7 Posts
User

MYOB has a bad case history of inconsistancy with updates. Like Windows 10. Nobody wants the latest update.

JK-3777
Contributing User
9 Posts
Contributing User

Please allow an option to disable (or at least delay) automatic updates. This needs to be an option.

This is the best way to mitigate problems that will occur when implementing automatic updates.

JillL
3 Posts
User

MYOB - Please allow an option to disable the automatic updates!   We use both online and off-line files for different companies and from different sites, as soon as we login to the online version for one company (from any site) we get an auto update.   This means we are forced into manual updates (SE edition) for the other sites/PC's to access that file, that then forces us to have to upgrade all the other company files.    On one site we have three PC's, all staff need to stop work to upgrade, this takes away our ability to do the upgrades at a time that suits us.   

Gloweez
Contributing Cover User
6 Posts
Contributing Cover User

MYOB.

We do NOT WANT and WILL NOT ACCEPT automatic updates. We run a mix of server edition and PC editions across geographically disparate sites and we always intentionally coordinate updates across all offices. Do NOT deploy this new auto update feature. 

You are forcing your customers away from you!

oddcouple
3 Posts
User
You made a note that there are improvements for printing reports and more. What type of reports have been included in this improvement? Has the Leave Entitlement Report been rectified to show 3 decimal places for Leave Hours instead of 2 decimal places?? This improvement would make reconciling Leave Entitlements monthly so much easier and less time consuming rather than checking each individual Employee Card File where it shows the Leave Hours with 3 decimal places. Please consider this improvement. I'm also not a fan of automatic updates and now have to consider and plan to install Server Edition MYOB on every workstation as we work offline. These automatic updates should be setup as an option as not everyone can afford to keep updating their operating systems and may work across many networks.
Ganeinu
Experienced Cover User
11 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I was able to upgrade my work PC to 2021.1 during the week but today (Sunday 28/2) absolutely nothing is happening from my home PC when I try to download. Is there something going on in the background that would stop this working?

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Everyone

For those clients that do wish to maintain their own upgrades and when they do occur for AccountRight, we do recommend installing the AccountRight Server Edition of the software. Check out Help Article: Getting the latest version for more information on obtaining the latest edition of the AccountRight Server Edition.

H-TS
Trusted User
461 Posts
Trusted User

@Steven_M The FAQs on that page state that automatic updates will be available later in 2021 for server edition. Does that mean if we switch to server edition we're only delaying the inevitable?

Can we even run server edition if we don't actually have a server? 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @H-TS 

For this release, users that do wish to not receive automatic updates can move across to the AccountRight Server Edition. However, the AccountRight Server Edition will be receiving automatic updates later this year. So, installing the Server Edition of AccountRight 2021.1, where not required, would be just delaying the inevitable with automatic upgrades.

The AccountRight Server Edition is intended for use on a Server/machine that hosts the company file to be shared across multiple computers. However, it does still function in a standalone workstation. See Which AccountRight installation should I choose? for more information on finding the recommendation installation for your requirements.

ISBS
1 Post
User

Interesting comments.  Would like to think that myob could take notice of their customers.  I've been using myob since 1993 (version 3) and the best they have achieved was v19.  I know we have to get "with it" and change but sometimes the frustration gets beyond it.  Perhaps myob could just fix the problems instead of introducing new features and more problems.  Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to retire!

Pinnoosh
4 Posts
User

Hi MYOB,

I am with the 'We do NOT WANT and WILL NOT ACCEPT automatic updates' people.  I deliberately hold off any updates waiting for the issues to be worked out, the same issues that the software should NOT be released with.  It is an expensive product to do a specific job and then when it goes wrong because the software hasn't been trialled properly, the customer is left with having paid dearly for the software and then paying dearly again both with time and money to fix the  problems caused by the updates.  We have been with MYOB since Version 7 running multiple company files but this is the final straw.    Following this morning's 'lock-out until we update' notice, this is definitely making us look to another software provider.   

Funny how all these other attributes are being spruiked, yet we are still unable to send basic TFN declarations direct from MYOB despite multiple customer requests on the forum/blog.  It seems all the other software on the market can.  What was that about 'that's so 2020' ...

oddcouple
3 Posts
User
After reading all of the above comments, I am also with the DO NOT WANT automatic updates. So really what MYOB is saying that there Cloud Base Network is struggling and they don't want to invest anymore funds into their Cloud Servers as this is not in the best interest of their shareholders, what about the interest and responsibility they have to their clients...obviously we are not important to them any more. It is also obvious that MYOB Cloud Servers can only handle one version at a time...which is the newly released version 2021.1 and all previous versions including 2020.4 the previous version to 2021.1 is also obsolete and is being decommissioned in the next 10 days. MYOB would not have dividends to pay to shareholders without their clients. Where is our decommission notice...I didn't get any notices in my product or any any emails. Businesses need to plan and implement new updates it just doesn't happen like that, we are not magicians!!
DMCH
Experienced User
13 Posts
Experienced User

So incredibly disappointing, the new version of AccountRight 2021.1 no longer supports emailing of invoices and payslips UNLESS you use an online file!  Call me a troglodyte but maybe if MYOB's online version was stable I might be prepared to move across, instead I find the flickering screen and reliance on a strong internet connection to much to bear.  Please MYOB reconsider your decision (as a previous subscriber put it) by going forwards not backwards in what you offer consumers.  Remember that we pay the same subscription whether we choose to go online or not, so we should be equally supported.

RRB
Experienced Cover User
30 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi DMCH, I'm an AccountRight User and saw your post.

You don't have to put your data file online if you don't want to.  We have multiple data files and only one of them is used online and even with the online file I can send our invoices/payslips via Microsoft Outlook instead of directly from AccountRight. 

There's a tab called Emails in Preferences where you can choose to send emails directly from AccountRight by ticking the box "Send Emails Using AccountRight".  Leaving the box unticked means emails are sent via Microsoft Outlook instead (as long as you have email addresses recorded in each customer/payee card that is).

For more info here's a link showing what you need to do to send emails via Outlook if it's not clear above.

https://help.myob.com/wiki/display/ar/Sending+emails+using+Microsoft+Outlook

Hope this helps.

DMCH
Experienced User
13 Posts
Experienced User

Hi RRB

Thanks for that!  It's a shame the staff member at MYOB who I spoke to was not able to give me that information, that would have saved me a lot of anxt.  I will review your suggestion when I am next in the office and hope that all goes smoothly.

RRB
Experienced Cover User
30 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi DMCH, one thing I should have mentioned- check what version of Outlook you're using on your computer - I think it has to be Microsoft Outlook 2010 or later before it can work sending emails from AccounRight to Outlook.  

JanetA
Trusted Partner
44 Posts
Trusted Partner

Hi @Steven_M 

Refer your post below from last month ..

If you are referring to the browser experience of AccountRight see Help Articles: Access an AccountRight company file in a web browser & What you can and can't do in AccountRight web browser.

Please would you let me know when the release of the web brower based Purchase Orders will be available?  Thanks,

Janet 

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi @JanetA 

Help Article: What you can and can't do in AccountRight web browser outlines what features and functions are currently possible in the browser interface. While other features, including purchase orders, are candidates for inclusion of the browser interface we are not able to provide an exact timeframe for when those individual features will be delivered.

LeroyTheHippy
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi.  Can we please go back to having the Email & Password Login window combined like it used to be?  The new version of separate windows is just another tedious hassle.

Thanks Smiley Happy

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

Yes, this new two window login is a pain in the ar$#.

And while I'm here, why do we need 2FA to log into this community forum.  It's a forum, there are no TFNs saved in it.

AlanT

LeroyTheHippy
Experienced Cover User
13 Posts
Experienced Cover User

That too Alan.  So much basic funtionality is missing in myob.  It seems that the programmers are not bookkeepers / accountants, and treat the software like it's a computer game.  I prefer the keyboard whenever possible, but it seems the programmers are mac addicts and think everyone loves wandering around the screen clicking with their mouse.  I won't go on here, but it is very sad and frustrating.

Sue-AFSL
Experienced Cover User
24 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Agree that the two step login is a backwards move - PLUS if you forgot your password, aren't you going to need that button after you try rather than before?