MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Merrin
MYOB Moderator

230Posts

102Kudos

0Solutions

Get a more accurate view of your cashflow, and make your tax obligations easier by storing your bills and supplier invoices in MYOB Essentials.

Over the next couple of days when you log in to your MYOB Essentials business, you’ll notice a new In tray appear in the top menu.

intray on menu.png

You’ve already made the change to electronic invoicing, this is the next step; freeing you up from your desk and paper, and helping meet your record keeping requirements.

You can even save time by getting MYOB Essentials to do your data entry for you.

Plus, you’ll be able to easily lay your hands on your bills and supplier invoices, like when you need to compare pricing. And easily share documents with your accountant or bookkeeper without resorting to a shoebox or folder of printed bills.

How does it work?

Take two minutes to watch the video below. It’ll show you how to load a document into MYOB Essentials, how to link it to an existing bill, and how to save on data entry by getting MYOB Essentials to read the details of the bill and enter it for you.

*email a document to bills@essentials.myob.com.au (for Australia) or bills@essentials.myob.co.nz (for New Zealand). 

Get started by clicking on your In tray.  If you need more information, click the lightbulb.

lightbulb_2.png

48 Comments
Mastarkit
4 Posts
User

ok in the video so it siad "Just email us with the email address your using to sign in to MYOB"

Email "us " !!!    What the heck is that ? Who is that ?

What is this email address please MYOB 

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @Mastarkit

Thanks for dropping us a line about the lack of email address.

If you'd like to email your documents in, rather than upload them from within MYOB Essentials, email them to bills@essentials.myob.com.au. (or bills@essentials.myob.co.nz for our NZ clients.)

Sorry for the oversight, I'll edit the blog to include those email addresses.

Thanks,

Merrin

Experienced Cover User busychemist
18 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Is there a data cap on how many invoices can be stored on the server?

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @busychemist,

There is no cap on how many invoices can be linked to bills in MYOB Essentials. Keep in mind though that documents can't be bigger than 1MG each, or they won't upload.

Thanks,

Merrin

Mike123
1 Post
Cover User

Hi,

Is the In Tray feature being slowly introduced to Essentials? It does not appear yet in my top menu as an option.

Thanks,

Mike

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @Mike123,

Yes, this is being rolled out over three days, so if your In tray hasn't appeared today, you should be up and running tomorrow. 

Thanks for dropping me a line with your question.

Cheers,

Merrin

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

@busychemist  - I've lead you astray with my clumsy fingers - documents up to 2MG can be loaded into MYOB Esssentials and linked to bills.

Just thought I'd better clarify.

Cheers,

Merrin

Experienced Cover User FIFO
32 Posts
Experienced Cover User

From the taxman's perspective invoices need to be held for 7 years

so...

Will a copy of the invoice still be available in 7 years off MYOB?

If a subscription is cancelled will copies of all invoices held on MYOB be able to be downloaded?

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi Dave ( @FIFO),

Yes, the documents will be available in MYOB Essentials as required by the IRD or ATO. 

If a client cancels their subscription, they will be able to download copies of any documents they have uploaded before their file changes to read only (as per our terms of use).

Thanks,

NQ
1 Post
User

The first invoice I used in the hope that MYOB could read many of the details and automatically load them as a Purchase failed to recognise anything other than Invoice Number and date of invoice. The invoice was a MYOB invoice for the monthly subscription fee. Is this typical of the ability of this feature?

Experienced User seachange
33 Posts
Experienced User

The email feature works really well. 

The auto populate ...not so well.

Currently Myob is having problems with the auto matching of bank feeds to uploaded invoices stating that the invoices are still due to be paid. There are work arounds...but best to avoid this new feature until it is fixed.

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @NQ

we only pre-populate the fields when we're sure the data is 100% accurate, so the amount of information 'read' and completed for you can vary.

The OCR technology behind this learns and improves the more it's used, so as we see more supplier invoices, it'll get better at pre-populating the data

In one of life's little ironies, it seems that in the case of this invoice, it's still to learn that MYOB is a supplier.

We're working on it, but thanks for leltting us know it didn't work for you. I may be in touch for more information, to help speed this along if that's ok with you?

Thanks,

M

Karen_Russell
1 Post
User

Hi

I like this feature with bills.  Will a similar feature be available for invoicing?  It would be handy for us to be able to scan documents to attach to invoices even if they didn't use the OCR technology.  We often have delivery dockets that need to be sent with our invoices and it would make it much quicker if I could scan them in and attach them to the invoice and have them all filed in once place.

Cheers

Karen

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @Karen_Russell,

Glad to hear you like the ability to link documents to your bills. I think it's a great feature.

We've had a few requests to extend this feature, both through the product feedback and the Ideas Exchange on the community forum.

Please feel free to add your voice by voting for it on the exchange (you can just click the link above).

We use the feedback we receive to help us decide what to work on next.

Thanks,

Merrin 

Experienced Cover User Majic
19 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Good morning,

I deleted a bill which had an attachment using this new feature however I did not unlink the attachment before I deleted the bill.   The deleted bill is still there and I am not able to link any further invoices to this bill or any new bills.

Advice would be apprectiated.

Thank you

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @Majic,

Thanks for dropping me a line on the blog.

Are you getting a system error message (pink box at the top of the screen)? At the moment, when you delete a bill without unlinking the document, or delete the document without unlinking it from the bill, it causes an error in MYOB Essentials.

We're working on fixing it, but in the meantime, to get back to linking and unlinking documents, can you either contact support, or send me a private message with your company name in MYOB Essentials, and I'll get this sorted out for you.

To send a PM, click my name at the top of this post, then under contact me, click send this user a private message.

contactme.png

Sorry for the inconvenience,

M

teff
2 Posts
User

Hi,

Great to be able to get rid of some paper bills...

However is it possible to link a document from the in tray to a bank feed of eg. a phone bill or to other items in "spend money", or can you only link to bills in "purchases"?

It would be good if myob essentials had an app that allows you to take a photo of the document and send it straight to your in tray! 

Thanks

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @teff,

Glad you're getting rid of some paper bills. At the moment, you can only link documents to a bill, but linking receipts to spend money is coming soon.

We don't have a dedicated app for snapping a document and sending to the intray.

For what it's worth, I've heard good things about Pixelnetica Sharpscan.  But since I've only been able to find it as an iPhone app, I haven't actually tested it out in the real world myself (being an android girl - my research hasn't been exhaustive though, it may exist). Keep in mind that you'd still need to email the docs to your intray.

Hope that helps,

Merrin

teff
2 Posts
User

Hi Merrin, 

Thank you for your reply, it will be good when we will be able to use it for all 'spend money' transactions and really not have to worry about receipts anymore Smiley Happy

Recently I have been using the app Shoeboxed to store receipts online, which is fantastic, just a shame it doesn't integrate photos of the documents in Essentials (it does for other Myob versions)...

Cheers

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hey @teff,

I know, I'm looking forward to having receipts a thing of the past too. Will be awesome! Smiley Happy

I have to confess, I did have to do some research into Shoeboxed and the way it integrates with MYOB Essentials and AccountRight, just to bring myself up to speed with the way it displays docs.  It is a fantastic app, so glad to hear you've been loving it, despite it not working the exact same way with MYOB Essentials that it did with our older AccountRight product.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, and let me know how you go with Pixelnetica Sharpscan, if you try it.

Cheers,

M

Contributing User myecs
11 Posts
Contributing User

Hi,

I think this feature has a lot of potential and I have started using it. I tried to set up a Gmail filter to forward any "tax invoices" to the MYOB Essentials intray. However Gmail requires a confirmation code to be retrieved from the email address specified as the forwarding address. These emails are not appearing in the in-tray with the verification code required to finalise the setting up of the filter in Gmail. Any ideas on how to get around this problem?

Regards,

Danny

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi Danny (@myecs),

I'm going to need to do some research into this, my own quick test with my gmail account results in the same issue that you're having, with a request for a verification code to be entered.

I'm guessing that forwarding the email manually (rather than trying to auto-forward) results in your documents appearing in your In tray in MYOB Essentials?

I'll get back to you, as I suspect it's a security precaution and may not be able to be "worked around" (and if that's so, shouldn't really be worked around.)

Cheers,

M

Experienced Partner JamesSullivan
61 Posts
Experienced Partner

i manually forwarded an invoice on it showed up in myob inbox. Great. However, I have set up a user on scanner called receipt-bill  this gets goes staight to my own inbox with the words receipt-bill in the subject line.  I have set this up with a rule in outlook to forward straight to bills@essentials.myob.com.au...and the rule appears  to be sending to this email adress from the email address showing in my business details..(the same one manually forwarded on that worked).  No invoices forwarded on using this rule shows up in my myob inbox...although they show up in my sent emails.

Thanks

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @JamesSullivan,

Just to confirm - if you manually forward an email from outlook, it comes through, but not when you forward based on a rule?  Do you have only one email address set up in Outlook?

Cheers,

Merrin

Experienced Cover User RLC
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User

can you get the intray feature with AccountRight Plus?

Community Manager Suja_P
5,832 Posts
Community Manager

Hi @RLC, I'm pleased to say that the In Tray feature has been added to the latest update of AccountRight - v2015.1. You can read more about it on the AccountRight Blog

The AccountRight 2015.1 update with the In Tray function is being done as a staggered release. Therefore if you do not already have access to it, you will soon.

Experienced Partner Karen23
27 Posts
Experienced Partner

I liked the idea of the inTray but not much success with it recognising the invoices.  It only recognised the date and the invoice number -so please let me know when it works quicker than typing in the details.

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @Karen23,

I'm sorry you're not having much success with the pre-population of bills.

Given that it's only pre-populating invoice date and number, you're right in suggesting that you or your clients can type in the details of the invoice faster. 

However, in terms of time-saving, I feel the real benefit of this feature comes from having the actual bill attached to the transaction - making it easy to find when suppliers call, if anyone needs to check previous supplier bills for comparisons, or if you as an advisor have a query about whether a transaction has been allocated to the correct account.

I'd hate for you to stop using what I think is a really valuble feature because of a poor OCR experience, but thanks for letting me know that it's less than ideal for your bills at the moment. I will definitely share your feedback with the rest of the team here.

Thanks for dropping me a line,

Merrin

Contributing Cover User Drawcard
13 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Thanks MYOB for the awesome feature.

I am curious if there is the ability to do a mass export of all documents, eg in the event of an audit or something similar? I would love to go paperless completely but I am concerned about getting all my data out at a later date.

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @Drawcard,

At the moment, no, you'd need to download the documents one at a time.

Mass exporting is a customer request, so it's on our radar to be included in the future, but I don't have a timeframe for when it will be implemented.

Thanks,

Contributing Cover User Drawcard
13 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Thanks @Merrin  - I guess I'll have to keep a digital copy as a backup until that feature rolls out then Smiley Happy

Philr
1 Post
User

Looks like an intersting feature.  

I have two entities attached to the same email account login.  How do I use this service?   Do I need to split the entities onto separate accounts?

MYOB Moderator CloverQ
7,012 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Thank you for your interest @Philr

Unfortunately currently you can only email bills to In Tray inbox if there is only one company file attached to your email address. It is something our developers are working on to enable clients with multiple files can still email bills to upload to In Tray.

In the meantime, you can still select the bills stored on the computer and upload directly, or click and drag the files into In Tray.

Hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to post again if you have more queries.

JC81
1 Post
User

Hi There,

I was just wondering if the issue of auto forwarding bills form Gmail had been resolved or a work around had been found so that we can basically send bills directly form the scanner, thanks.

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @JC81

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Unfortunately, the auto-forwarding for Gmail isn't available. 

You can however, simply forward the email from your Gmail address to bills@essentials.myob.com.au and the invoice will appear in your inbox.

Thanks,

M

EEKA
1 Post
User

Its been 6months since a post commented on OCR technology failed to recognise MYOB monthly subsciption fee invoice. I'm experiencing the same problem, wondering if this problem has been resolved? Thanks.

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @EEKA,

We recently changed OCR provider and are currently working with them to get a lot more out of the OCR scanning and pre populating. We should all see an improvement in the prepopulation of common suppliers and the data from their invoices in the not too distant future.

Thanks,

M

Contributing User slam_dunc
33 Posts
Contributing User

Hi there - this feature is not available for AccountRight Enterprise v19.5?

Is it only for cloud-based software?

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @slam_dunc,

That's correct - this feature is only available for online software, so not in Enterprise v19.5.

Thanks,

Merrin

Contributing Cover User DulcieBridges
12 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Hi - I've just started with a client who is using MYOB Essentials, and we've been playing around with this feature.  How long does it take?  We noticed the document appears in the in-tray very quickly, but with an orange box with an "!" - does this mean error, or "not ready yet"?  When we try to create a new bill, no information is prepopulated.  Does this take a certain amount of time?

Thanks

Dulcie

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @DulcieBridges

The orange box with the exclamation mark means that the no information could be read from the invoice, so that's why no information is pre-populated.

Is this happening for every bill you try and load?

Thanks,

Merrin

12 Posts
Contributing Cover User

@Merrin - he has tried a few receipts from Bunnings - any ideas?

thanks

Dulcie

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Ah @DulcieBridges, that will be why - at the moment, the feature works with bills or supplier invoices, not receipts.

Thanks,

M

12 Posts
Contributing Cover User

Thanks @Merrin - would love to see it expand to include receipts,or for MYOB Essentials to work with third party applications such as ReceiptBank.

Dulcie

MYOB Moderator Merrin
230 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @DulcieBridges,

Expanding the In Tray functionality to include receipts is one of our top-rated ideas on the Ideas Exchange, Feel free to add your vote there too,  if you haven't already, to help us prioritise what we work on next.

Thanks,

M

Royale
5 Posts
Cover User

Hi - I like the split view for entering details from invoices like the amounts due, issue and due dates, and supplier invoice number. 

However, when I close split view, the issue date often reverts to today's date, the due date to a random future date, and the invoice number disappears. Only the amounts are remembered.  Can this be fixed?

And how come MYOB can't read the invoice information from MYOB's own bills?

M_Kire
2 Posts
User

Has there been any progress in enabling the In Tray email address to be verified for use withing the G-Suite products, specifically Gmail? It would be great to be able to forward my G-Suite monthly bills to In Tray, or better yet, to add the In Tray address to my billing settings in G-Suite, but there is no way to verify the address for Google. 

I've also asked the Google people if there's an alternative way to have such and address verified, such as via a text to a mobile number. Let's hope some kind of solution is found. 

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
30,566 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @M_Kire

Recently we released a feature that means that each MYOB Essentials Business has a unique and secure email address to which they can use to send their In Tray Documents to. These documents are then uploaded to your MYOB Essentials Business. You can find out more information on this feature on MYOB Essentials Blog Article: Send documents to your In tray, or get your suppliers to!

If you are experiencing an issue with your email provider not allowing the sending of those emails to that email address I would recommend speaking with your email provider.