Compliance is easier than ever this financial year in New Zealand

MYOB Staff Post Kylie_N
14 Posts
MYOB Staff Post
MYOB Staff Post

14Posts

15Kudos

0Solutions

Online filing for your monthly IRD returns means it's easier than ever to meet your compliance obligations this financial year. And now you can make payday a breeze by paying your employees electronically.

And what about those EOFY tax changes? Already sorted. MYOB Essentials has been updated with the latest changes, so you're already up to date with the IRD.

Monthly compliance is easier than ever

Just download an electronic file containing your IR returns (IR348 and IR345) and upload it directly to the IRD's ir-File web portal.

IRDmontly.png

Pay your employees with ease

Want to pay your employees electronically? If you bank with ASB, you're in luck. Once you've set up your bank details (and your employees'), you'll be able to download a bank file for each pay run you process in MYOB Essentials.

To get started, just choose the Batch payments option in your payroll settings, and enter your bank details.

batchPayments.png

Before you can include an employee's pay in the bank file, you'll also need to add their bank details to their Employee details tab. You can split the pay between two accounts, if you want.

employeebankdetails.png

Once you've done this, you're good to go. Whenever you finish a pay run, you'll be able to download a bank file to use for paying your employees.

downloadbutton.png

If you want to download the bank file later, you'll find it on the Past pay runs page.

pastpayruns.png

Once you've downloaded the bank file, all you need to do is upload it to your ASB online banking portal.

20 Comments
Ultimate Partner Kym__Yeoward
1,645 Posts
Ultimate Partner

For NZ users ?

MYOB Staff Post Kylie_N
14 Posts
MYOB Staff Post

Hi @Kym__Yeoward,

Yes, this is all for New Zealand users, for the new financial year which starts today. I've edited the title to make this clearer.

Sorry for the confusion!

Kylie

Contributing User KimEllis
6 Posts
Contributing User

Fanatastic. That makes life so much easier being able to import the payroll files directly into IR File.

Such a time saver.

Experienced User RayNZ
21 Posts
Experienced User

I seem to recall that I will need to advise IRD that I will now be filing electronically and that this is done on the IRD website. Can you tell me how this is done please? Thanks for these time-saving changes.

MYOB Moderator Liam_M
3,488 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hello @RayNZ

The best source for information on registering with the IRD, would be the IRD's Website. You can find their online services registration page here. For more information on registering, you should be able to use the search function on that website, or the 'contact us' link if you'd like to find a phone number for them.

Regards

Liam

MYOB Support

G4ZZ4
6 Posts
Cover User

I already file online through the IRD website.  I just transpose the figures from the reports each month.  Is this the same place where we upload the files?

Have you got any instructions on what we do with the downloaded file?  I see in my workspace on the IRD website there is a file upload area, there is also a filing method option.  One is File monthly using on-screen form to key your schedule details and the other is  File monthly using payroll file transfer.  I currently have the first one selected.  Would this need to be changed?

Are there further instructions on this new feature that I can find?  Would be keen to use it.

Thanks

Gary

G4ZZ4
6 Posts
Cover User

Actually, I may have found the instuctions on the IRD website.  Can you confirm whether these instructions are correct for utilising the new service you haveintroduced?

http://www.ird.govt.nz/help/demo/irfile/tutorial-movies/ir-file-lesson-flash-02.html

Thanks

Gary

Experienced User RayNZ
21 Posts
Experienced User

Here's what I found:

After logging on to the IRD website,

Click on the "Submit returns" tab and then select ir-File.

Click on "Filing method" from the left-hand panel.

Click on "File monthly using payroll file transfer".

I expect to now be able to transfer my payroll files at the end of the month.

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
33,517 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @G4ZZ4

Terrific, its great to see that you have managed to find that Interactive IRD tutorial showing you the process.  @RayNZ's post may be of some assistance to you as well.

I would also recommend taking a look at the IRD website: ir-File- filing electronically for more information into ir-Filing

louisel
1 Post
User

Hi - the ird download is great, just used it and saved myself an hour a month.

Can you tell me when the pay to bank with Kiwibank will be up and running?  How come only with ASB?

Thanks

BentAnvil
6 Posts
Cover User

I pay our PAYE/DED on 20th of the month, yet Essentials will only allow me to select 15th or last day of the month as a payment date for my ir-file. Why is this restriction in place?

Also, when will other banks such as ANZ be support for batch payments for employees?

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
33,517 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @louisel

Thank you for feedback in regards to downloading files for the IRD. 

Currently you can only pay employees with ASB Banking. We are working on expanding the options available but no time frame for other banks have been included at this stage.

MYOB Moderator Steven_M
33,517 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi @BentAnvil

The Payment Date box is worded in accordance with an IRD report. Basically the box is asking you how often you are required to report- whether its monthly or half-monthly. If you are a larger business with a larger PAYE turnover amount you are required to produce a report half-monthly. These employers would need to select 15th in the payment date. I would recommend taking a look at the Filing returns and making payments or consulting the IRD to see if you are required to produce half-monthly

In regards to other banks being included, we are working on expanding the option available to allow for additional banks to be added. However we don't have a time frame for when other banks would be included at this stage.

Experienced User RayNZ
21 Posts
Experienced User

There seems to be confusion between filing date and payment date. We are a small business and are required to file a return after month-end. Payment is due on the 20th of the month. Example: We send an ir-file return on 1st April for all the March pay runs (31st filing date). Payment of Employer Deductions for March is due on 20th April,  I believe MYOB Essentials needs to allow the establishment of bank transactions for 20th April.

ChantelleD
1 Post
User

Where on the ASB site do I find the ability to upload the bank file? I have looked everywhere and even gone to help, but can't find anything??

G4ZZ4
6 Posts
Cover User

I'm with @RayNZ on this one.  We need to file and pay by the 20th of each month and Essentials is not allowing us to select this as a payment date.  It is insisting on selecting a payment date of the 15th or the end of the month.  

Would MYOB please go back and check whether they have set up this service correctly to cater for small business?  

Should this field be renamed?  Rather than Payment Date, is it referring to the Period ended date?  That would make more sense.

The IRD website states for business with a PAYE of less than $500k the return and payment for the preceeding month is due on the 20th.  

For PAYE of greater than $500k, for period ending 15th of the month payment is due 20th of that month and period ending end of the month (30th or 31st depending on what month) payment is due 5th of the following month.

The more I look at this, I believe that the field that is currently called payment date needs to be renamed to Period ended.  That would make more sense.

Cheers

Gary

MYOB Moderator Liam_M
3,488 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hello @G4ZZ4 @RayNZ

As you've suggested, the 'payment date' field is actually referring to the date the period ended rather than the actual payment date. Our developers are looking into correcting the wording to avoid confusion in future.

Regards

Liam
MYOB Support

Experienced User RayNZ
21 Posts
Experienced User

This new feature works really well - thank you.

I wonder if it may be a good idea to also automatically generate the appropriate "Spend Money" transaction for the IR345 as well. All the data for this is know in Essentials so it should be simple to generate the IRD payment or credit transaction. This would save more time.

It would also be good to have a "Spend Money" transaction generated as part of the GST return processing as well for the same reasons.

Because this is something I don't do every day, I have to look up the examples each time to ensure I've got it right. I'm sure it's the same for other users.

Cheers, Ray

BentAnvil
6 Posts
Cover User

I think this is an excellent idea also!

MYOB Moderator KattC
790 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hello @RayNZ and @BentAnvil,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, we are always wanting to hear how we can make Essentials more user friendly and to make your workflow faster. Thank you for the great suggestion I have sheared your comments with the team. 

Kind regards,

Kat

Client Support