Forum Discussion

Brose
User
7 months ago
Solved

How do I access myob "prm" backup files on Mac?

Hello community, 

I have a small business and my outsourced bookkeeping and accounting person uses MYOB 7.5 to do the work.  I know this is a VERY old offline version of MYOB. Every month they send me the excel reports, along with the backup file ".prm", so that I may access the books beyond the excel reports. Unfortunately, I have a Macbook, and MYOB 7.5 does not work on Mac, only Windows. 

The accountant does not want to move over to an online version of MYOB, and I do not want to buy a Windows PC.

Is there any MYOB software or online version that works on Mac that is able to access ".prm" files?  Thank you

• Hi Brose 

I'm not too familiar with Mac systems but there are "Virtual Machine" programmes you can use that mirror Windows on a Mac computer so this may be an option. You then have the problem of finding a MYOB Premier v7.5 to put on your system. Do you plan to do your own entries or just to look at entries and reports? If you are planning to enter transactions, then you would need try to COPY the programme folder from your bookkeeper's system on to the "Windows" version on your computer and find the Myobp.exe file to open the file. If you only want to "read" the file, then some of the earlier versions of Edge (Mac) and MYOB were able to be used across platforms, so you could try downloading the oldest version of Edge and upgrading the file to a newer Edge version to at least look at the info. I have partner CD's back to 2005 that include Mac versions (not sure which ones as I don't have a Mac machine), that I could upload for you to try so if you think this is an option, then contact me at majubawest@hotmail.com 

There are other users on here who may have more ideas about Mac so keep trying if this doesn't solve your issue.

Cheers

Liz

7 Replies

• Hi Brose 

I'm not too familiar with Mac systems but there are "Virtual Machine" programmes you can use that mirror Windows on a Mac computer so this may be an option. You then have the problem of finding a MYOB Premier v7.5 to put on your system. Do you plan to do your own entries or just to look at entries and reports? If you are planning to enter transactions, then you would need try to COPY the programme folder from your bookkeeper's system on to the "Windows" version on your computer and find the Myobp.exe file to open the file. If you only want to "read" the file, then some of the earlier versions of Edge (Mac) and MYOB were able to be used across platforms, so you could try downloading the oldest version of Edge and upgrading the file to a newer Edge version to at least look at the info. I have partner CD's back to 2005 that include Mac versions (not sure which ones as I don't have a Mac machine), that I could upload for you to try so if you think this is an option, then contact me at majubawest@hotmail.com 

There are other users on here who may have more ideas about Mac so keep trying if this doesn't solve your issue.

Cheers

Liz

Brose
      User

Thank you Liz. We used one of the virtual machine programs. Once we set it up, we could then install the old version of MYOB in one of their "bottles" and it started working just fine. We used a program called CrossOver for Mac - https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover/

Leneth_A
        MYOB Moderator

Hi Brose

Thanks for the update on this and for providing the solution. We are glad that you have managed to resolve your concern. I am sure other users will benefit from that information. I would also like to thank our valued user Liz for her contribution here in the community. 

Please do not hesitate to post again if you need help in the future. 

Cheers,   
        Leneth

Doreen_P
    MYOB Moderator

Hi, Brose

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the MYOB Community Forum.

Thank you, Liz_A, for sharing your ideas regarding the concern.

You may also check the Help Article: Install AccountRight on a Mac for further information regarding your concern. We also recommend having your IT perform the steps provided in the Help Article.

Please let us know how it goes on your end.

Best regards,

Doreen

Doreen_P
      MYOB Moderator

Hi, Brose

We would like to follow up on your concern. Kindly let us know if you still need further assistance. Don't hesitate to reach out to us. We are delighted to assist you.

Best regards,

Doreen

Doreen_P
        MYOB Moderator

Hi, Brose

We hope this message finds you well. We have been awaiting additional updates from your end regarding the assistance request. As we haven't received any recent updates, we will be closing the case now. Please be assured that should you need further support, we are here to assist you promptly. Feel free to start a new post, and we'll be ready to address your concerns.

Best regards,

Doreen