Forum Discussion

sKrael
Experienced User
10 months ago

Invalid (negative) amount in Inventory Value Reconciliation report leading to error messages when recording purchase

I have had trouble receiving items due to the error "This purchase would leave you with a positive quantity but negative value" error.

I have discovered a negative inventory value against this item in the Inventory Value Reconciliation report, relating to a "Build Items" transaction in May 2023. As far as I can tell, this was done correctly with no "Out Of Balance" amount remaining.

I need to clear this error in order to proceed with booking in stock. Can anyone assist?

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Sean_DC
    MYOB Moderator

Hello sKrael,

Thank you for posting. 

AccountRight doesn't allow you to record an inventory adjustment that results in negative inventory values. If the transaction you were recording reduced either of these amounts to below zero you would receive the error you have encountered. You will need to increase the value of the item through an inventory adjustment. This will increase the total value of the item stated in the error.

An example we like to give is let’s say you currently have 5 of this item at $6, totaling $30. If the credit you’re trying to record was for 4 items at $8, totaling $32 it won’t be able to be recorded. You’d need to record an inventory adjustment to bring the value to at least $32 so you can record the credit.

To do the inventory adjustment, you can follow this Help Article on Making inventory adjustments

Please feel free to post again. I'm happy to assist further.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information.

sKrael
      Experienced User

Thank you Sean.

The item in question has a "Quantity On Hand" of 0. Value is "N/A" and Average cost is "N/A"

ItemDetails.JPG

If I try and convert a Purchase Order containing this item from "Order" to "Bill", I get the error "Processing this purchase would leave the item FCEASY120 with a positive on handh quantity and a negative value in inventory".

Trend Marking Systems - MYOB AccountRight - [Purchases - New Item] 21072023 40030 PM.jpg

If I try to do an inventory adjustment to change the value of this item, I get the error "The value of your inventory may not be less than zero" and I cannot proceed further.

InventoryAdjustment.JPG

If I run an inventory Value Reconciliation (suggested in a previous post from someone else) I find that for some reason, this item with 0 quantity has a negative inventory value.

Capture2.jpg

I don't know why it has a negative inventory value and I cannot make any changes to this item without MYOB throwing up some sort of error as described above.

I look forward to your further suggestions.

gavin12345
        Ultimate User

Hi sKrael 

Due to bugs in MYOB sometimes you end up with zero on hand, however a negative or positive value for that zero on hand. This is why some amounts show as N/A, as you cannot divide a value by zero.

This does indicate a form of corruption in the file and sometimes MYOB staff offer to run a script to fix it. Not your moderator though.

Try doing an inventory adjustment to change the on hand count to 1 (or higher) and the value a larger number than the negative on hand value. So for example if the negative value is -$50, set the IAJ to On Hand 1 and Value adjust by say $52. This will set the onhand count to 1 and the value to $2. Once you get to this point you can make correcting adjustments as required.

Regards

Gavin