Forum Discussion

Llewellyn
Partner
5 years ago
Solved

Employees ETP and tax withheld not recorded in STP figures

One of our employees received an ETP for unused RDO's that were paid out when he left. These were taxed at a special rate of 32% as required. Based on the MYOB instructions for recording these payments I set up a wages category for Unused RDO's Paid Out and a deduction for ETP tax payable (there is no provision to add other tax categories) and I processed his termination pay.

When I run a payroll activity detail report the total value of RDO's paid out ($1428) is included in his gross wages total but the tax deducted ($457) is shown separately as a "deduction" and it isn't included in the total tax figure. When I compare these figures to the YTD total in STP EOFY Finalisation figures, neither the ETP amount nor the tax deducted are included in gross wages and PAYG withheld.

This doesn't seem right. Shouldn't both of these amounts be included in the info that gets reported to the ATO. Have I done something wrong when processing the wages for this person? Thanks

Tracey_H
    5 years ago

Hi Llewellyn 

The ATO reporting categories need to be assigned according to the ATO guidelines, so the tax on that ETP payment does need to be reported as a deduction with the reporting category ETP - Tax Withheld.

With regard to your BAS, you need to select the ETP - Tax Withheld category in the set up for the W2 field. This will pull that amount into the BAS figures.

Please let me know if you need further help.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Llewellyn 

Thanks for your post. You're right that these amounts should be reported to the ATO through Single Touch Payroll (STP). The first thing I'd check is that those payroll categories have been assigned the correct ATO reporting category. The ETP Tax Withheld amount should be reported separately from PAYG Withheld on the STP report and would generally be assigned the ETP - Tax Withholding category. 

These help articles will assist with checking the ETP payment setup and payment:

Assign ATO reporting categories 

Create ETP payroll categories 

Record the final termination pay 

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Llewellyn
      Partner

Thanks for that Tracey. I've made those changes. Can I just go back and delete the previous payment and re-enter it so that the amounts end up in the right place?

Regards, Carl

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi Llewellyn 

You sure can delete and reprocess that payment. If you have any further issues please let me know.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.