Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Cards: ABN lookup for customers

Partner

66Posts

34Kudos

0Solutions

66 Posts
Partner
Australia

I don't undertsand why this feature is only available for suppliers.  I'm always having to check customer ABN's.  Would be great if was shown on the customer cards as it is on the supplier cards.

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: January 2023

Hi Everyone

The ABN checker for the AccountRight Browser interface will allow for the users to see if their customer's ABN is valid (or invalid).

7 Comments
David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

Hello @Galadriel

You do not normally need to have the ABN of your customers.

If the sale is over $1000 then on the Tax Invoice you do need to have enough information to identify the customer. You will usually have a name and probably an address etc and then that is enough. Alternatively you can have the ABN. For sales under $100 there is no requirement for the name or ABN of the customer to show on the Tax Invoice.

you are just wasting your time to get the ABN of customers, and in many cases if the customer is an individual then there will not be an ABN.

Cheers

David

David_Cree
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner

hello @Galadriel

i also meant to add the link to the ATO on Tax Invoice requirements.

here it is - 

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/Issuing-tax-invoices/

Cheers

David

Galadriel
Partner
66 Posts
Partner

Hi David, thanks for getting back to me.

I'm aware of the ATO requirements for tax invoices but this is not why I want the ABN's on customer cards.

Some of my clients are in the concreting industry and dealing with some builders has regularly resulted in initiating credit collection processes.  It's a lot easier if you have an ABN of the debtor/customer you are chasing - you can search (free or by purchasing) various information.  Having the right ABN for the right entity can save time tracking down debtors that don't want to be found!

At the moment we check the customer ABN's via the ABN lookup website when they initially start trading with us.  We check the validity of the ABN as it is not uncommon for the ABN's to have a cancelled status or have been de-resigered.  Some customers actually give their wifes business ABN or a friends ABN!  I then print off the summary sheet so I have the information on file.

It was just a suggestion given that it is already available for supplier cards.

BASnBusiness
Partner
36 Posts
Partner

Can AccountRight be adapated so that in the same manner that supplier ABNs are confirmed online, can it also be made to confirm customer ABNs?

IllIlIlIlIIllI
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User

@Galadriel wrote:

I don't undertsand why this feature is only available for suppliers.  I'm always having to check customer ABN's.  Would be great if was shown on the customer cards as it is on the supplier cards.

Old thread -- bump.

ABN lookups for customers might not make sense for a product sales business (especially in large volume businesses like retail and/or hospitality where the customers don't have a card).  But having this feature would really be beneficial to a services-based business.

From the perspective of a services business, having MYOB AccountRight look up the customer ABN as its being endered in to their Card file helps in locating discrepencies with an organisation's legal identity as presented from other sources (customer published website, customer letterheads, customer supplied invoices, customer supplied contracts etc.).

Any chance the ABN lookup functionality can be enabled for customer cards as well?  Even if the lookup queries are not enabled by default?

BASnBusiness
Partner
36 Posts
Partner

Couldn't agree more - I suggested this waaaaaay back but nothing has happened - we need it sooner rather than later!!

Steven_M
45,180 Posts
Former Staff

Hi Everyone

The ABN checker for the AccountRight Browser interface will allow for the users to see if their customer's ABN is valid (or invalid).