Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Sales/Purchases: Include a Categories column on Enter Sales/Purchases window

Cover User

1Posts

26Kudos

0Solutions

1 Post
Cover User
Australia

Please could we have a Categories column in the Enter Sales and Enter Purchases windows.

Our company has three branches that we need to report on individually as well as a group.

At the moment when we receive supplier invoices from for example telephone companies, IT providers etc we need to split the bill across the three branches or cost centres, currently to do this in myob we have to enter the bill three times, once for each branch/category/cost centre at the apportioned amount. The categories function would be so much more useable to companies if you could split bills for example across categories in a single record entry.

"Categories Column in Sales and Purchases"

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: September 2012

Thanks for the feedback. Categories are a little tricky, because categories are designed to produce a Balance sheet report ( as well as a P&L) the category needs to be applied across the whole transaction in order to result in a balanced Balance Sheet. However I do understand the need for additional Cost codes or Dimesion codes per line. The Job Codes are certainly an option ( if they aren't already in use for other means). I'd love to hear more about this idea - particularly what sort of reporting do you need from these codes?

24 Comments
Aly
5 Posts
Cover User

Have you used the JOB column, you can set up different job numbers for each entity and use this to split the sales/purchases.  You can then access the report on each job through the Accounts tab, JOBS.

Dan_Moulton
40 Posts
Former Staff
Thanks for the feedback. Categories are a little tricky, because categories are designed to produce a Balance sheet report ( as well as a P&L) the category needs to be applied across the whole transaction in order to result in a balanced Balance Sheet. However I do understand the need for additional Cost codes or Dimesion codes per line. The Job Codes are certainly an option ( if they aren't already in use for other means). I'd love to hear more about this idea - particularly what sort of reporting do you need from these codes?
Teep
Partner
9 Posts
Partner

Yes I have the same issue.  We are already using Jobs to track jobs/projects but would like to split expenses like Rent and Telephones across different Departments/Categories.

Otherwise does anyone know a clean way to journal/internal invoice the percentage from one category to another?  Is it possible?

T

DS124321321
1 Post
User

Hi

It would be very helpful to be able to assign a category to each line of a transaction, e.g. to an invoice or a purchase.

Also, it would be good to be able to change the category, GST code and account code of an invoice or purchase without having to unmatch the payment.

Thanks

YBF
2 Posts
User

We are currently having the same problem where we need to split one invoice entry over 5 different categories.  It is so tedious.  A column for categories would be so much more convenient.

Flow
Experienced Cover User
40 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Is it possible to record a sales analysis code or category per line item in a sales transaction?

My Reasoning:

The line item on my sales invoice may be "Labour Jim" this reports to my GL Code Labour. But I also want to break it down so I can see what kinds of job it was e.g. Labour Jim (Inventory) and Hot Water Unit Replacement (Category) or Blocked Drain (Category).

The Categories and Sales Person features that currently exist only allow me to record one per transaction so when I run a report on categories I see the whole sale and not just the one line item that may be applicable e.g. I don't want my 'Callout' inventory item linked to my 'Hot Water Replacement' category.

Does that make senses...

So, if on each line item I could record a cetegory I would be able to use the category report to further break down my Profit and Loss report and see what categories are making money. 

P.s. I don't want to have to setup a new inventory item for every fieldworker (Jim) and every category

P.p.s. I already use jobs for tracking jobs so this won't work either. 

Flow
Experienced Cover User
40 Posts
Experienced Cover User

PLEASE PLEASE make this possible!!

I really need to be able to add a reportable flag (category) to each line item on a sales invoice. This would be SOOOOOO helpful and I am sure other people would use it. 

I have previously used Sybiz Vision Accounting software and it allows you to assign a sales analysis code (category) to each line item and it is so valueable for reporting. 

Jennifer_Kelly
Super Partner
492 Posts
Super Partner

Hi,

Ordinarily I would say Jobs is what you should be using to be able to break down each transaction to different components.

With Jobs you can allocate at the line item level to different Jobs, however with Categiroes Only one can be added to each transaction.  I would not think that Catgories is the way to go to identify things like Call out v Hot water replacement. Categories are more designed to keep track of different Branches or divisions in a business.

You say you are already using Jobs.  Other ways of breaking up the info by jobs into more detail are:

- Use Activity Slips/Time billing to capture both the person performing the task and what Activity they are doing. These can then be allocated to a job. 

- Use Items to Track what work is being done so an Item for Callout , and one for HW replacement. Then you can analyse by Job broken down to the different Income compontents. It sounds like you are using Items to also track the person doing the work? Maybe use SAlesperson for the worker?

- Use Sub jobs - eg Job Header is for the House build and then have a number of sub jobs under each header  Good if you have a smaller number of jobs with a number of segments.

- Use GL to break ups each Job by different components - So if you have say 10 different "types of work" then you could have a Labour GL account down at that level e.g. Callout , HW replacement. then allocate each line to that GL account and allocate to the job. you can then do a JOb P&L that breaks down to that level.

Deciding which is the best for you will depend on the type of jobs you have e.g. small number of large complex jobs, or a large number of small jobs for a large number of clients.  Your MYOB CC will be able to help you work this out.

Reporting?

The other issues is it is fine to do all this work to capture this level of detail however how do you then want to report on it? Combining all of these different elements and getting flexible reports out of standard MYOB can sometimes be a challenge. 

There are a number of Add-on solution that can help you if you choose any of the above options to get really flexible reports by JOb Header, JOb Customer, by Activity Slip, by Category etc.

See http://myob.com.au/addons/category/3/advanced-reporting/

If you would like to know more about some advanced reporting options for MYOB let me know.

Jennifer Kelly CA

Business Intelligence for MYOB

www.BIforMYOB.com

02 8912 4120

Flow
Experienced Cover User
40 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi Jennifer,

Unfortunately none of the above suggestions will work for us. The tracking of Categories only needs to occur (at this stage) on our sales transactions. Going through and entering activities and timesheet and timebilling as suggested above would be overkill for our needs. 

Is it not possible at all that MYOB would consider adding another grouping method similar to jobs on sales invoicing? It doesn't have to be Categories you could call it Analysis Code and it will simply allow a user to analays (report) their sales & profit on another level without affecting their inventory and job costing anaylsis.

If I have to setup an inventory item for every employee and every category I will end up with a stupidly massive inventory. 

Thanks,

Sarah

Boro
1 Post
Cover User

Please could you allow the category to be changed after a payment is made. At present the payment (and in some cases the entire bank deposit of multiple payments) has to be deleted in order to amend the category on the invoice or bill. It is possible to change the job number, but changing the category is a big headache! This is now creating issues with an add-on which we want to use as well, which does not record the category, but does record payments. When the sync is done with a payment applied, the payment must be undone in order to insert a category.

Thanks