Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

User Access: My custom reports only reports created by user

Experienced Cover User

125Posts

28Kudos

1Solutions

125 Posts
Experienced Cover User
New Zealand

Since 2014.2 was released we now thankfully have more specific user access control options, which is great. HOWEVER, something really needs to be done about user access controls re. Custom reports. Presently, if a user has access to custom reports they can see ALL custom reports which have been created. This is a problem because, for example, a sales rep who needs to access his / her custom sales reports can also see the sensitive financial or wages custom reports that have been created by the company's accountant.

There needs to be some way of restricting access to certain custom reports, so that a user with access to custom reports cannot also see those that are confidential. Perhaps some form of password protection could be introduced? The creator of the custom report would then be able to password protect his report so that access would then be restricted to those knowing the password. An Enter Password field could be put in the Filter Report area per below. Probably easier said than done, but this problem really needs to be addressed.

Capture.JPG

"User Access Controls re. Custom Reports"

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: September 2018

Thank you all for your comments and votes. We understand this is an important idea and one with potential impact on user security. We did hope to make this idea possible for our clients. However, due to changes in priorities, we haven't been able to. We request everyone interested in seeing this to please continue to vote and comment.

For more information on changes to the AccountRight Idea Exchange, please read this article: Changes to our Idea Exchange pages

25 Comments
Liam_M
3,488 Posts
Former Staff

Thanks for raising this. This is a defect in how user roles is setup. Our development team is aware of this issue and we are looking into correcting this.

HeatherDBS
Experienced Cover User
126 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Hi, I note that the staus was changed to planned almost 12 months ago. Is there any indication when this will be implemented? As a recently converted user (from V19) this would be helpful. Our issue was more with we used to be able to give access to just the "job" section of accounts rather than the whole accounts reports. To work around this, we have to recreate default/standard reports as custom reports. Which in turn leads to the issue mentioned above.

mumow
Experienced Cover User
80 Posts
Experienced Cover User

2 years to implement an important development such as customising the reports is very disappointing. The whole issue of user access in the cloud version is disappointing and has caused many an issue since upgrading.

ROG
Experienced Cover User
21 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I have just encountered this same issue and I am appalled that this has fallen through the cracks!  This was first suggested 3 years ago and it it still a problem?  I have just had someone in procurement and maintenance looking through a report a customised report for our entitlement balances which they have then used to calculate the rate of pay for EVERY PERSON IN OUR COMPANY INCLUDING OUR DIRECTOR.

This is just not acceptable MYOB.

Please advise as a matter of priority as to when this serious issue is going to be resolved.

mumow
Experienced Cover User
80 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Fiona you mentioned more specific user control, except still the payroll can not be restricted - it too should be password protected - completely!

Totally unexceptable and a huge PAIN!! If we weren't non profit we would have changed programs.

jcbc
Experienced User
55 Posts
Experienced User

I agree, it is ridiculous that a junior user can view management reports, there needs to be a restriction in the custom reports. Why bother having user access when they access all the information through custom reporting

mumow
Experienced Cover User
80 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Excellent! Someone else has mentioned this as another security issue (as in Payroll access). As the Manager, sensitive payroll and financial matters have to be created everytime they are needed. Very archaic! Hopefully these issues will be refined sooner, rather than later.

CCNaturals
Experienced User
37 Posts
Experienced User

Please advise if this restricted "access to custom reports" is now available Sept 2017

GlenRed
Experienced Cover User
36 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Dear MYOB

I didn't even realise this could happen until I was showing someone how to create a custom report and saw all of my custom reports which included payroll and financial reports.  Fortunately as I was there I was able to quickly delete all of my reports.

I don't think this post is filed correctly as it is under Accountright ideas?

This is not an idea - this is a major problem.  

The report tab is "My Custom reports" - surely this can be changed to something like "Company shared custom reports" in the interim?

My custom reports clearly indicates these are my own reports which they are not.

Thank you

Glenda

Fiona_Ellis
Experienced Cover User
125 Posts
Experienced Cover User

I totally agree with Glenda's post. It is now 3 YEARS since my original post and still nothing has been done about this major issue. Only today I was setting up and training a junior sales administrator but could not allow her access to custom reports (which of course means she cannot create her own handy custom sales reports) because of all the sensitive financial custom reports already created by the company's accountant.

Please MYOB can this be escalated to critical on the to do list? It seems to me that many of the recent releases have been more about cosmetics than addressing the real short-falls of the live product. Don't get me started on multicurrency....!