Forum Discussion

Bad-Support
Experienced User
5 months ago

Staff self-onboarding

Staff self-onboarding was a fantastic idea, but completely ruined by MYOB.  By default, staff get "Staff benefits" ticked - which is really just spam marketing.  So if you forget to untick this, your new employee thinks that you are some kind of tacky employer who auto markets to them.  Even worse, the Super Fund selection defaults to "Featured Super Funds".  I can only assume that MYOB get some kind of comission/advertising fee - but why should we have to be part of that? Our new employees expect to be able to go straight to entering the details for their existing Super fund.  I'm not even sure if it is legal for an employer to push them in the direction of the "featured Super Fund", as I believe the law requires us to allow the employee to select their own and this pushing of another Super fund is certainly against the spirit of this, if not in complete contravention.

3 Replies

Gee_T
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Bad-Support 

Thank you for your posts.

When employees receive an invitation to explore their benefits, it doesn't automatically sign them up for marketing. Instead, it gives them the choice to check out the available benefits during onboarding and decide whether they want to receive communications or not. After completing onboarding, they'll also get an invitation to download the benefits app, offering discounts on products and gift cards usable at various retailers in Australia, like Woolworths and Amazon.

On the super screen layout, the first option, even before showcasing any promoted super funds, is to "Choose another fund" or to "Skip Featured Funds." Below the featured funds, there's another option to "Choose another super fund." The screen emphasizes that employees can select any fund, be it their own or their employer's default fund. The goal is not to push a specific fund but to provide flexibility for those without a fund or wanting to switch, ensuring a compliant onboarding experience.

Cheers,

Gee

Bad-Support
      Experienced User

Gee_T wrote:

Hi Bad-Support 

Thank you for your posts.

When employees receive an invitation to explore their benefits, it doesn't automatically sign them up for marketing. Instead, it gives them the choice to check out the available benefits during onboarding and decide whether they want to receive communications or not. After completing onboarding, they'll also get an invitation to download the benefits app, offering discounts on products and gift cards usable at various retailers in Australia, like Woolworths and Amazon.

On the super screen layout, the first option, even before showcasing any promoted super funds, is to "Choose another fund" or to "Skip Featured Funds." Below the featured funds, there's another option to "Choose another super fund." The screen emphasizes that employees can select any fund, be it their own or their employer's default fund. The goal is not to push a specific fund but to provide flexibility for those without a fund or wanting to switch, ensuring a compliant onboarding experience.

Cheers,

Gee

Even forcing new employees to have to choose whether or not to receive "benefits" is tacky - I don't see why this offering "benefits" needs to be ticked by default.  New employees (particularly young employees) may sometimes feel obligated to accept the defaults.  Further, the tick box accepting the "benefits" by default is just a tiny box on the employee's screen, but the Continue button is huge by comparison.  It is clearly intended to steer new employees in a particular direction, which is very sleezy behaviour on MYOBs behalf.

I have set up a new fake employee, and the way the Featured Super Funds is presented now is not as bad as it was - having said that the Featured Super Funds are still the default/obvious option to choose.  Whilst my preference would be to have the option for the Featured Super Funds not to be offered to employees at all, at the vey least it should not appear as the most prominant option.

It very much feels like we are acting like promotional agents for all MYOBs third party offerings - not the image that we want as a reputable organisation!  ...and I don't have this problem with QuickBooks.

Bad-Support
        Experienced User

...and after the last post, my fake (test) employee got an email asking them to sign  up for employee "benefits" even though they hadn't even completed the onboarding process.   EVEN UNDER THE GUISE OF "BENEFITS" WE ARE NOT HERE TO MARKET YOUR PRODUCTS!