Chart of Accounts

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
CML8
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Chart of Accounts

Hi

I am trying to update some of our account names/numbers in the COA and I've somehow made one of my header accounts now be at the same level as the detail accounts that linked into it, this has now meant the expenses in that group of accounts is now double counted in the total expenses.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Komal_S
MYOB Moderator
8,280 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

8,280Posts

741Kudos

1,164Solutions

Re: Chart of Accounts

Hi @CML8 

Please take a backup of your file and refer to this help article for details on how to group the accounts back correctly again. 

Kind regards,
Komal

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

CML8
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Updating Chart of Accounts

We are updating our chart of accounts and some account numbers have changed, I have made a new header account to have several detail accounts feed up into. The original header account for this group has somehow become a detail account and now has a financial history associated with it so can't be reverted to a header again, and now is being counted in our overall expenses header account - thus double counting the expenses that made up this total originally.

I need to do a journal to take this balance out of expenses, but I don't know where to put the other side of the journal, MYOB help desk said to do a journal to Unspent Expenses (?) but I'm not sure how to do this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

CML8
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

This isn't the answer I need to fix my problem unfortunately.

I may need a support person to fix this

Komal_S
MYOB Moderator
8,280 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

8,280Posts

741Kudos

1,164Solutions

Hi @CML8 

MYOB support would not be able to fix those accounts for you , we can only provide steps to fix the problem and assist if you're getting stuck. The detailed steps are given below to move the accounts, if it does not work for you, confirm where exactly you're getting stuck so we can advise accordingly (please only try these steps after you have the backup of your file as it is going to change the hiearachy) : 

Method 1
1. In the Accounts List window, click to highlight a detail account below the Header account with the incorrect positioning.
2. Click the Up button to change the hierarchy of the detail account. This will move the detail account to not be under the Header account.

Example below shows after pressing the Up button, the detail account 6-2101 is now on the same level as the header account 6-2100.
Note: This Example show the header account is still incorrect. It should have no balance with no detail accounts to total.

3. Now we have moved the the detail account this is no longer being totaled in the header account.
4. Check the Header account balance,
5. Move the detail account back down under the Header account, check the header account balance, this should now be correct. if not move onto refreshing the header account balance by refreshing the levels again. 

Example below shows the detail account 6-2101 has been moved under the header account 6-2100, and is showing the incorrect header balance still.

Method 2. To refresh the header account balance by refreshing the header account itself

1. Make a backup of your file. 
  2. Click the arrow next to the header account.
  3. Change the Header account to a Detail account
  4. Under the Details tab change the Tax Code to N-T
  5. Click OK
  6. Click the arrow next to the header account
  7. Change the Detail Account to a Header account
  8. Select the first account that should be under the header account and click Down
  9. Using the Down button move all other accounts that should be under the header account

It is also recommended to restore a backup of your file to check if the accounts are organized as they should be. If either of these steps does not resolve the issue, let us know. 

Kind regards,
Komal

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

CML8
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi

No this has not answered my query/fixed my problem, could you please arrange a time to call me so we can walk through how to fix this?

admin@communicatemedia.co.nz

Thanks

Komal_S
MYOB Moderator
8,280 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

8,280Posts

741Kudos

1,164Solutions

Hi @CML8 

We cannot arrange callbacks via this channel. Please refer to our contact us page for our phone support or other support options. 

Kind regards,
Komal

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post