Company File ID changes on every update

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Nigel_White
Experienced Partner
17 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

17Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Company File ID changes on every update

My client uses AccountRight on Premises. Every time the product updates, the Company File ID changes, breaking all the Apps I have developed. I need to then go in and re-code all the Apps to point at the new Company File ID. Any one else seen this, know a work-a-round?

3 REPLIES 3
John_Dinning
Trusted User
71 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Trusted User

71Posts

16Kudos

6Solutions

Re: Company File ID changes on every update

You can use the Company Files endpoint in the API to return a list of files and let them select the one they want. This will give you the new Company file ID.

Perhaps if there is only one file returned by this endpoint, your code could automatically select it although they will still need to log on.

Alternatively, if practicable, put their company file in the cloud as I believe the Company file ID does not change for cloud files.

Nigel_White
Experienced Partner
17 Posts
Experienced Partner
Experienced Partner

17Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi John, Thank you for your reply. I have an automated process that extracts data from MYOB without user intervention, so this would not be practical. There doesn't seem to be any other field on the comapny file list that is unique and unchanging. It must be an On Premises oversight, as you are right, I don't have any issues with cloud clients.

kjm
Trusted Cover User
160 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

160Posts

18Kudos

2Solutions

@Nigel_White I have the same issue. We use a network implementation. I have stopped using the myob file id and instead use only the name of the file but we only have a small number of known files that we use internally

what's the "automated process"? is it a program you have coded using the API? or script? I have a series of batch jobs that run that I have written in c# using Hangfire jobs engine

Maybe you could write some code that detects when the file is no longer there and allow some access to choose a company file using the company end point..not really a rgeat solution but cvan't think how you would solve it without some user intervention unless you had some sort of control of te naming of the file...for example suffix with a unique code of some kind if the client would allow it and then you could just search for it 

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post