Discrepancy in invoice Amount in MYOB.

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Dev_Integration
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Discrepancy in invoice Amount in MYOB.

Hi MYOB,

We are integrating the MYOB with our CRM (BQE CORE) while we send the invoices to Myob from our CRM, we see penny discrepancy in the total amount of invoices in Myob. Example,

We have an invoice in BQE CORE :

Services Amount = 4409.25
Expense Amount =  442.75

This is how our system works:

Services Amount = 4409.25
Expense Amount =  442.75

We Calculate tax on  Services Amount and Expense Amount as below:

service GST = 10% of 4409.25 = 440.925 and Core is rounding = 440.93
Expense GST = 10% of 442.75 = 44.275 and core is rounding = 44.28

So the Total Invoice Amount  = Services Amount + Expense Amount+ service GST + Expense GST
So total invoice = 4409.25 +  442.75+ 440.93  + 44.28 = 5337.21

But after sending the invoice to MYOB we are getting the Total invoice amount = 5337.20

which causes the difference in invoice amounts.

Question:

1. Can you give us the process how the MYOB calculates the taxes on this invoice  with an example?

1. Is this possible that we send the taxes to MYOB so that we not get any discrepancy, if yes what are the requirements?

5 REPLIES 5
Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,863 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,863Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Re: Discrepancy in invoice Amount in MYOB.

Hi @Dev_Integration , your GST amounts are calculated in the CRM system according to each line, and are both rounded up:

Services Amount = 4409.25 + 440.93 = 4850.18
Expense Amount =  442.75 + 44.28 = 487.03

Total = 4852.00 + 485.21 = 5337.21 (technically inaccurate in total)

MYOB recalculates the GST on the total so far, and adjusts the line GST accordingly:

Services Amount = 4409.25 + 440.93 = 4850.18
Expense Amount =  442.75 + 44.28 = 487.03 (initial calculation)

Check 4852.00 * 1.1 = 485.20 therefore line 2 GST is reduced by 1 cent.

Expense Amount =  442.75 + 44.27 = 487.02

Total 4852.00 + 485.20 = 5337.20 (accurate in total)

This calculation procedure cannot be amended during the posting or import process.

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

JuddSandstrom
Partner
3 Posts
Partner

3Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Syed and Mike,

I'm butting in here, because I disagree a little with some of what Mike has said:

1. I don't think the only correct way to calculate GST is on the totals. In the case of invoices where some lines have GSTable items and some don't, you calculate GST from the lines, and then total the GST. I can't speak for NZ, but I am very confident that the ATO have a requirement that the GST be calculated on the lines and shown on the lines, if there is a mix of GST and GST Free items. Therefore the total GST on the invoice will be the total of GST on the lines.

2. The invoice that is generated from Syed's CRM is the only document. It's the source of truth. That's the document that is sent to the customer and that's the amount that the customer will pay. So, if MYOB recalculates the GST, and gets a different amount, it's quite simply wrong. The Tax Invoice is the be all and end all of the conversation. You are correct that the CRM must calculate GST correctly but what defines correctly? MYOB are not the arbiter of that.

In the end, Mike is probably right that Syed must change the GST calculations in the CRM, because that's easier than getting MYOB to change the API. Having said that, if I were Syed, I'd be looking for a hidden trick in the API first, eg if you send the GST on the lines and the header, does MYOB accept that 'as is'? If you just send the GST only on the lines and not the header, does MYOB add up the GST? Is there a switch in the API or MYOB settings that says 'don't recalculate GST on import/API'? Mike, you are obviously a more experienced developer than me, so you may have tried these already and ruled them out.

So, I say this not to argue with you, Mike. I'm just offering my point of view.

Judd

Mike_James
Ultimate Partner
5,863 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

5,863Posts

1,028Kudos

756Solutions

Hi @JuddSandstrom , thanks for putting your point of view forward. 

MYOB would apply the same process to invoices with some GST-free lines, but I'm not 100% sure what it would do with mixed rate invoices; I hope it would total in groups by rate and adjust groups of lines of like rate. But I do take your point about an external invoice being the issued document, and an import process should not change those values.  

I don't believe that the API can be tricked into changing the GST calculation, or accepting different line GST values. If anything the API (as well as the in-product import process) is less flexible than the equivalent processes in the legacy version 19.x products, which allowed both exclusive and inclusive line values to be nominated.

Regards, Mike (mike@datawise.co.nz)
DataWise Limited (www.datawise.co.nz), developers of:
DataWise ProActive - Custom Reporting from MYOB programs
(MYOB Business, including AccountRight Live, AccountRight v19.x and exo Payroll)

Bulk download of attachments (more details...)

JuddSandstrom
Partner
3 Posts
Partner

3Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Mike,

Your experience and comments will probably save Syed and future developers from beating their heads against the desk in frustration.

Judd

Dev_Integration
4 Posts
User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you @Mike_James, I appreciate your valuable time and expertise, I was of the same opinion that Myob calculates GST on Total amount, not on the Line amount. But I was not sure.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post