Processing Supplier Return on Closed Bill

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
maustin
Experienced User
37 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

37Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Processing Supplier Return on Closed Bill

I purchased something from a supplier, but had to return it because it was not correct.

The Bill I created for the purchase is closed, and so I am trying to work out how to process the return.

I followed these instructions: https://help.myob.com/wiki/display/myob/Processing+supplier+returns

which in effect says to create a new bill on the same supplier with negative amounts, but when I go to save it, I get these errors:

An unrecognised error occurred - PurchaseEvent_NotMatchLiabilityAccountForTrackingPayables An unrecognised error occurred - PurchaseEvent_NotLiabilityAccountWarning An unrecognised error occurred - CommonRules_DecimalMinValue

So, not sure what's going wrong.  Anyone able to help out?

Thanks,

Mike

9 REPLIES 9
Yanike_S
MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,585Posts

157Kudos

380Solutions

Re: Processing Supplier Return on Closed Bill

Hi @maustin 

Thanks for your post. 

Have you tried using a negative number of units and a positive unit price amount to create the negative line?

Let me know if this worked for you. If this doesn't work, could you please sent me a screenshot of the bill and the error message you are seeing?

Kind regards,
Yanike

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

maustin
Experienced User
37 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

37Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Yanike,

That helped get around my errors, so I now have a negative dollar Bill in the system.

But I can't seem to get that to match up to the corresponding deposit into my bank account when I try and match the deposit to the negative dollar purchase.  I'm not sure if MYOB recognises a negative dollar Bill as being the same as a deposit into my account

Do you know how I can fix this error?

Regards,

Mike

Yanike_S
MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,585Posts

157Kudos

380Solutions

@maustin 

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you have created the supplier return (a negative $ purchase). You would now have to process this and mark the return as a refund from the supplier: Processing supplier returns. 

When I follow these steps, I end up with a Withdrawal and a Deposit in my Reconcile Accounts:

Screenshot 2021-06-16 161907.jpg

Now you should be able to match the deposit to the deposit in your bank account.

Kind regards,
Yanike

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

maustin
Experienced User
37 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

37Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Yanike,

Unfortunately that's not working for me.

When I go to Supplier Returns, there's is nothing there for me to select.

Regards,

Mike

6FA1D0D5-1ED8-45BB-97F1-F9A7B0F68C7B.png
Yanike_S
MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,585Posts

157Kudos

380Solutions

Hi @maustin 

If there is no Supplier return it seems that something has gone wrong with creating your Supplier return. Do you see your Supplier return if you go to Purchases>>Bills

Screenshot 2021-06-16 172414.jpg

If you don't see a negative amount, I suspect there is is an error when saving your Supplier return (negative $ purchase), what is the error message on the top of your screen when you try to save this?

Kind regards,
Yanike

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

maustin
Experienced User
37 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

37Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Yanike,

Yes, I can see the "Supplier Return" in my list of Bills.  I've included a screen shot here, along with a screen shot of the actual Bill in entered.

Note that if I try and enter the bill as a positive quantity with a negative dollar amount for each line item, it comes up with an error: "An unrecognised error occurred - CommonRules_DecimalMinValue".  So, I have to put it in as negative quantities of a postive dollar amount.

MYOB.jpg
Yanike_S
MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,585Posts

157Kudos

380Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @maustin 

Thanks for the screenshot.

The reason your Supplier return does not show up in Supplier returns is because the bill is closed, which means that Balance due is $0. This means that the balance has already been applied to another transaction.

To find out where this has gone, go into that bill and select Activity history. Here you can see the linked transactions and possible linked bank accounts (click into the transaction number to find more information).

Kind regards,
Yanike

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

maustin
Experienced User
37 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

37Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Yanike,

OK, that's fixed it for me - thankyou!

What I don't quite understand is that if I process a payment (for a Bill or an Invoice) within MYOB, essentially closing that Bill/Invoice, its not always possible to subsequently match the bank feed transaction to the appropriate Bill/Invoice.

If I wait until Bank Feeds updates my Bank Transactions, then match the bank transaction to the Bill/Invoice, everything seems to work OK.

I guess I just need to be a bit more patient, and wait a few days for the bank feeds to update and then I can go and match bank transactions to Bills/Invoices and have everything work reliably

Cheers,

Mike

Yanike_S
MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,585Posts

157Kudos

380Solutions

@maustin 

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that fixed it for you.

And yes, you are correct in that you will have to wait for the bank feeds to update before you can to match your bank transactions to your bills/invoices.

Don't hesitate to use the forum again for any future questions.

Kind regards,
Yanike

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post