Can I revert back to the previous MYOB Essentials version?

yobers
Experienced User
22 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

22Posts

44Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Can I revert back to the previous MYOB Essentials version?

In all honesty I have been having a terrible experience with the new MYOB Essentials upgrade. I loved the previous version... it was simple, had a nice look and was easy to navigate. Everything flowed well and there were very minimal issues. It had become a familar and stable online accounting system for my business.

When the new update arrived I wasn't concerned at first because the overall format appeared to be very similar. However once I started to use the new update I realised how different it actually was. There have been many minor changes to the way things work (such as lists, format boxes, scroll boxes, input box sizes, etc) that have made my experience frustrating, dissapointing and very time consuming. Trying to navigate the system and perform basic tasks is taking far more time than previously and in addition the load time when navigating between pages etc is noticeably longer, even ridiculously long at times.

Will I be able to familarise myself with the new system in time to a point where it feels more comfortable and easier to use? Possibly. However the sheer dissapointment and frustration that the new format feels like an unwanted 'downgrade' wont be forgotten easily. I think a thorough beta testing of the new version before it was implemented could have avoided many of these issues.

I would have rated the previous version a 9/10. And I now rate the current version a 4/10. That may seem harsh but at this point in time it's my honest opinion. So this leads to my main query... is it possible to revert back to the previous version of MYOB Essentials? I'm guessing not but I think it's worthwhile asking.

16 REPLIES 16
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
42,844 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

42,844Posts

5,777Kudos

6,395Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Can I revert back to the previous MYOB Essentials version?

Hi @yobers 

Thank you for your feedback in regards to the newer MYOB Essentials platform. And sorry to hear that you are not loving that new MYOB Essentials and the features that come along with that.

To directly answer your enquiry, once an MYOB Essentials business has been migrated to the newer platform you would not be able to access the Original MYOB Essentials.

Having said that, I would recommend checking out the MYOB Academy courses on this product to get you better equipped, or even a fresher, so you can make the most of that newer MYOB Essentials business. Most courses are self-paced and Free!

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Keay
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

19Kudos

0Solutions

Very frustrated and disappointed with the new MYOB essentials update. As a user, I can't see the value in it at this stage. The old version works fine and at times like this MYOB is very inconsiderate of what small business like me is experiencing. Do you think we have time to watch the video tutorial at times like this? We are already suffering from the impact of the covid pandemic. I understand changes could be good but your timing is just so wrong. Your website is not even fully updated with the changes for us to understand it and a notification prior to the update would be nice (did I miss it?). 

yobers
Experienced User
22 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

22Posts

44Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for the response Steven. The Academy courses wont be of any help because I am refering to foundational design issues and flaws that simply weren't present in the previous version of MYOB Essentials. For instance (1) the invoice list no longer sorts into a proper 'newest first' date order (each seperate day within the list remains unsorted), (2) the item description box on the 'create invoice' page is now too small in width to be user friendly as has no way of being expanded, or (3) the overall working screen remains 'locked' to a certain size and can longer be expanded to full screen size in order to make things easier to read and work with. These are just a few of the design issues that are too numerous to mention and make the overall experience disappointing and significantly more time consuming when compared to the previous version. It is very clear to me that the new 'upgrade' should have undergone some major revisions, revising and client consultation before being implemented. If some of these issues are addressed over time then that will be very welcome, otherwise I will have to start looking for another product!

Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
42,844 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

42,844Posts

5,777Kudos

6,395Solutions

Re: Changes in display

Hi @yobers 

Thanks for the additional feedback on this topic.

My mention in my original post of the My Academy courses was to ensure that you do understand the changes and new features of that platform.

With respect to the points you have raised:

• The Invoices window is sorted by Invoice number by default, which is similar to the Original MYOB Essentials platform. The newer platform will do this by ascending order, while the original was descending. In saying that, should you wish to change that sorting you can select the relevant column headers to sort by that.  In my testing, the newer MYOB Essentials will actually retain that sorting after changing windows - a function I was not able to replicate in the Original.

• The description field is a set size and is not able to be manipulated by the user. However, we do understand that some users would like to see the additional display of that similar to the original and thus have passed that feedback on. However, at this time, that field is limited to that selected size, which is similar to the Original MYOB Essentials, although I do grant that original showed more information in that description.

• With the New MYOB Essentials, the windows are locked in size respective to the size of the display and are not able to be changed. This is similar behaviour to the Original, however, the Newer MYOB Essentials does have the ability to adapt to the screen size more responsively. For example, if the browser window is shrunken down to be similar to a mobile display you'll get the same display as you would on a mobile.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

yobers
Experienced User
22 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

22Posts

44Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Changes in display

In regards to the point I brought up about the list ordering... I was referring to the 'issue date' order. It seems that it orders the invoices according to day created but not necessarily to the time that they were created. So while the days are in order, the invoices within each day are not. Perhaps this is actually how the previous version worked too (?). And in regards to the new update retaining its list sorting after changing windows, I could be wrong but I believe this was not fully the case when the new update was first implemented. There were definitely situations when the lists would revert back to default order, such as cancelling out of creating a new invoice. It looks like this is something that has been fixed/improved after the update was already in place (possibly due to client feedback) and that is very welcome. Cheers

sashelec
1 Post
User

1Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Just been kicked out of the old version,, password doesn't work and can't be changed. 
I have to use the new iPhone app. Unbelievably useless!!! The font size is so large only a third of the info is on the screen. This can't be changed. I use this app to send invoices during the day. Please sort ASAP and the increase in the monthly cost has made the compition very appealing 

ferguson
Contributing Cover User
7 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

7Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

I totally agree

dudley2017
Contributing User
6 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

6Posts

17Kudos

0Solutions

Agree this new version is shocking.  Takes so much longer to get anything done.  Hate the electronic clearing accounts - makes banking and accounts so much longer to do.  Prefer the older version   Give this one a 3/10  Old version 9/10  Disappointed I subscribed not realising they had done an upgrade which is really a downgrade in my version.

DerbyBus
1 Post
User

1Posts

9Kudos

0Solutions

I agree. A terrible program all round. Unfortunately we had no option but to migrate to Essentials from AccountEdge. I don't understand how MYOB can bring out such an inferior product when AccountEdge and AccountRight were/are so capable?  Additionally, the technical support with Essentials is equally as bad and as time consuming.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post