Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

48Kudos

0Solutions

Complete and Utter Fail - MYOB Essentials Payroll 'Upgrade'

I really don't even know where to start, other than to say the latest ‘upgrade’ to MYOB Essentials Payroll appears to be an absolute failure on nearly every level from a software, support and customer relations standpoint.

I had only just got familiar with the old interface, settings etc. There I was happily processing my payroll last month, everything was working perfectly fine, however, I logged in just a few days ago to process my August payroll and the system and settings are suddenly completely foreign and confusing to me.

Due to an error message, I couldn’t even get past the first page to process the pay run, meaning that I ultimately didn’t pay my staff on time. Gee, I was a pretty popular boss on Thursday… there I was trying to explain to my staff that they couldn’t pay their rent on time because MYOB wanted to make their website ‘look pretty’.

I'm not merely talking about feeling inconvenienced about adapting to change (I accept this is part of doing business), although it would appear across many facets, including the interface updates and migration of data, a multitude of fundamental and foreseeable problems exist with this so called ‘upgrade’.

I can barely contain my anger and frustration as I type this.

There are in fact too many problems to detail here. I also don't see why I should have to do MYOB's job in identifying and explaining all of these issues and suggesting obvious solutions when all of this should have been thoroughly trialled and tested before implementation (perhaps it was, but clearly not sufficiently enough).

Taking just one basic and blaringly obvious example, prior to the 'upgrade' the payslips were very well-presented; clear, concise and professional-looking. Now, they look like something that is worse than a shabbily presented Word document; ill-shaped columns, poorly formatted and crowded text, no company logo, just for starters.

Worse still, it doesn't even provide basic information such as total overall YTD gross and net salary for full time employees, and it’s also publishing an Annual Salary for casual employees, I mean, WTF?!

Whether it is a data migration or presentation issue that can be corrected retrospectively in the current settings is irrelevant, this simply should not have happened if the upgrades were properly tested and the data migration properly verified before implementation.

I must stress, these issues are merely the start of the many apparent errors following this ‘upgrade’.

This rollout has been completely botched, and I don't see why myself or other small business owners should be forced to spend more time out of their already busy schedules to point these problems out to you in this forum. The fact that MYOB largely outsources direct, professional support to a Community Forum is, in itself, an insult to paying customers.

Similarly, I also don’t have time to spend two hours on hold (as I have now done three times in the past two days) to be connected with call centre staff who are also dealing with the fallout of this incredibly poor rollout.

In summary, I don’t want an apology. I just want this fixed and I want it fixed now.

Thank you.

20 REPLIES 20
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
42,844 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

42,844Posts

5,777Kudos

6,395Solutions

Re: Complete and Utter Fail - MYOB Essentials Payroll 'Upgrade'

Hi @Dan23 

Sorry to hear that your migration has not gone as smoothly as you would have liked and that you are not liking the newer MYOB Essentials platform. This newer MYOB Essentials allows users to have great freedom with their payroll transactions such as the ability to generate their own leave and superannuation pay items a feature not available in the original MYOB Essentials platform. 

If you would like to provide additional feedback on this topic you are welcome to do this through our Feedback & Complaints channel listed on the Contact Us page.

Should you have any support enquiries such as the error message you had experienced, would you mind providing additional information in relation to those so we can offer assistance with regards to that. I would also note that MYOB do moderate and answer support enquires on this Community Forum as well as the wider MYOB Community made up of other users and MYOB Partners.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Hatto
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Totally agree...  Can't generate and download a bank file, can't display VIEW PDF payslip, hate the new upgrade.. 

Leaz
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

I very much agree.  I was familiar with the old interface, settings etc. There I was happily processing my payroll and everything was working perfectly fine. Then the payroll and the system and settings are suddenly completely foreign and confusing to me.  I have wasted hours trying to work out the simplest things.

It's not just about feeling inconvenienced and adapting to change (I accept this is part of doing business) but one of the basic functions in switching businesses (we have two small businesses) is not even working properly because one of the businesses has been rolled over and the other is still in the 'old' system.

I am really unhappy about the look of the payslips. Prior to the 'upgrade' the payslips were very well-presented; clear, concise and professional-looking. Now, they look shabbily presented; ill-shaped columns, poorly formatted and crowded text, no company logo, just for starters.  I have wasted a lot of time trying to work out how to customise the payslips and not found any way to do it.

Worse still, it’s also publishing an Annual Salary for casual employees. Also, just as inappropriate is the accrual of leave for casual employees - although I did find a way to not present that on the payslip! 

It's a very poor 'upgrade'.

Irate_User
1 Post
User

1Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

Everytime I try to log in, I get an error and no amount of clearing the cache solves the error

I have now found that if I "switch businesses" and then click on my only business, I can log in, but now half my bank accounts now longer show up and I have no way of actually viewing them (although they are listed in the Account List)

Time to switch providers while its still early in the financial year and I can quickly rebuild my accounts without too much trouble

Nancy_Yu
Contributing Cover User
8 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Australia
Contributing Cover User

8Posts

4Kudos

0Solutions

I also don't know where to start. Didn't realise how bad the payroll system has become until my client drop me an email and said they have left MYOB essential and changed over to Xxxo. Now I am also struggling to process payroll (says unknown error). Hopefully it's up and running soon.

hshane
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

12Kudos

0Solutions

Totally agree, the new Essentials is a complete failure.  The Old Essentials was so quick & easy to navigate .  Now I have to spend more time trying to do my payroll & charge my clients extra time. If this is tpo continue I will have to seriously think of moving.

Very Unhappy.

Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
42,844 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

42,844Posts

5,777Kudos

6,395Solutions

Re: MYOB Essentials Payroll Upgrade

Hi Everyone

For those users that may be struggling with the newer MYOB Essentials Payroll platform, I would recommend checking out MYOB Academy courses on this topic. These are 15 - 45 min. self-paced courses to give you the most out of your new MYOB Essentials Payroll product. The best part is they are FREE!

In addition to that, Help Article: Learn about payroll changes after upgrading does have an overview of changed features. You can also access this and other useful help topics using the question mark icon on the relevant window (top right).

Should you require assistance with that product, I'm sure the MYOB Community would be happy to offer assistance .

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

JB1551JB
Experienced Partner
34 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

34Posts

13Kudos

0Solutions

Hi, I have had my files upgraded and followed the pre-upgrade tasks when I was emailed, and also noticed the pop ups in the file, and have had no issues. I also have watched (twice) the webinars around the old to new migrations and what to expect - and them being recorded is a winner as I can watch them again.. 

Agree around the payslip format as I did love the old view - so much nicer to view..  fingers crossed that this changes.  I have also had a dig around in the MYOB Academy and watched mini sessions on what the new format looks like..   I will add the upgrade links here as I have them bookmarked to rewatch.

https://www.myob.com/au/campaign/myob-essentials-upgrade

https://academy.myob.com/course/view.php?id=582

https://academy.myob.com/course/view.php?id=520&_ga=2.42617254.240131246.1630884807-1298359016.16305...

Dan23
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

48Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks @JB1551JB

I note that you said:

“I have had my files upgraded and followed the pre-upgrade tasks when I was emailed, and also noticed the pop ups in the file, and have had no issues.”

That's interesting. I certainly take your word for it but I received no notifications and saw no pop-ups whatsoever pre-upgrade.

I logged-in to complete the July pay run and everything was perfectly fine, no sign of a pending 'upgrade' in fact. After eventually being able to log-in for August (after waiting on the phone three hours for support so I could even access the pay run), it was a completely different story - a total mess.

Also, and this is not a question of you, but why should customers be required to complete 'pre-upgrade tasks'. Again, duck-shoving responsibility to business owners for what one should reasonably expect to be MYOB's 'task'.

Thanks for agreeing with my thoughts re the payslip. I only use this as a blaringly obvious example and merely the tip of the iceberg in terms of the problems I've come across; which is a case in point.

Anyone could realise the new payslip format is incredibly unsatisfactory and a gobsmackingly massive step backwards if you compare it with the previous layout side-by-side.

It looks like my eight year-old designed it with his first go at Microsoft Word! Clearly there has been no quality control or critical eye cast over the design whatsoever! To say it's an embarrassment that it somehow got through to deployment is an understatement. Even worse that it remains unrectified.

You would have thought someone at MYOB has seen the payslip itself or this post and thought to themselves ‘gee, we should really fix that’. Surely someone senior at MYOB would commission the design team to get it fixed without delay. At the very least they could simply copy/reinstate the previous design, but unsurprisingly, no. WHAT A STINKER!!

Again, this is merely the tip of the iceberg, and if MYOB can't keep or improve basic visual design features in an 'upgrade' what hope do any time-poor users have with data entry and more technical aspects of the GUI.

Anyway, I think I’m probably wasting my time complaining about it. Let's see...

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post