Write off Bad Debts (original invoices in foreign currencies)

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
UnhappyUser7892
1 Post
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Write off Bad Debts (original invoices in foreign currencies)

I need to write off some historical invoices recorded in one of my client's MYOB AccountRight online file, which were originally issued in foreign currency (USD) & converted to Aust dollars (AUD) at historical foreign exchange rates at dates of invoices being issued. So how should I record the "Bad Debts" via Settle Return & Credits as a negative sale via the Sales Register menu? Do I need to create the matching invoices in negative equivalent amounts in USD or AUD? As there will be foreign currency exchange rates differences - date of bad debts recorded (different from original invoice), do I also need to create a new Expense Account - Realised foreign exchange losses?

1 REPLY 1
SamaraM
1,925 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

1,925Posts

0Kudos

236Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Write off Bad Debts (original invoices in foreign currencies)

Hi @UnhappyUser7892 

Writing off bad debts are usually done by reversing of the original sale, and allocating the transaction to a bad debts expense account. As there is the addition of being a foreign currency transaction, you will need to deal with the difference due to the exchange rate, which you would usually put against a gains/loss account.

We recommend checking with a financial advisor on how best to record this transaction in your specific situation, but when you are ready to record it, these Help Articles have detailed information and instructions:

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards,
Samara

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post