Forum Discussion

wencliff
Experienced User
2 years ago
Solved

how to pay an invoice from an different person

I have an invoice addressed to the client, however they didn't pay and had to be taken to the debit collectors.

The debit collectors received the funds and have paid the invoice.

How do I pay off the clients invoice from the debit collection agency?

• Hi wencliff 

Thank you for your post.  If the invoice is paid by another you would be looking at completing the following process to transfer that balance to the other customer.

1. Navigate to Accounts >> Accounts Lists >> Asset
    2. Select New
    3. Give the account a number and name then set the account type to Bank. I'll refer to this account as the contra account going forward.
    4. Close the Account List window
    5. Navigate to Sales >> Recieve Payments
    6. Choose the Deposit to Account to be that contra account, select the old customer, and enter payment against that invoice(s) before selecting Record.
    7. Go to Sales >> Enter Sales
    8. Enter a service layout sale for the new customer card with the contra account selected in Account No. field.
    9. Enter payment against that new customer's invoice as per normal when the payment comes in.

The above process will close off the original invoice and transfer that balance across as a new invoice to the new customer so payment can be made on the invoice as normal.

In terms of receipts, that payment transaction, when processed, would be made against the new customer thus the receipt will be in their name. If needed, you can produce a receipt for that original customer's payment as well.

Please feel free to post again. I'm happy to assist further.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Sean_DC
    MYOB Moderator

Hi wencliff 

Thank you for your post.  If the invoice is paid by another you would be looking at completing the following process to transfer that balance to the other customer.

1. Navigate to Accounts >> Accounts Lists >> Asset
    2. Select New
    3. Give the account a number and name then set the account type to Bank. I'll refer to this account as the contra account going forward.
    4. Close the Account List window
    5. Navigate to Sales >> Recieve Payments
    6. Choose the Deposit to Account to be that contra account, select the old customer, and enter payment against that invoice(s) before selecting Record.
    7. Go to Sales >> Enter Sales
    8. Enter a service layout sale for the new customer card with the contra account selected in Account No. field.
    9. Enter payment against that new customer's invoice as per normal when the payment comes in.

The above process will close off the original invoice and transfer that balance across as a new invoice to the new customer so payment can be made on the invoice as normal.

In terms of receipts, that payment transaction, when processed, would be made against the new customer thus the receipt will be in their name. If needed, you can produce a receipt for that original customer's payment as well.

Please feel free to post again. I'm happy to assist further.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information.