Forum Discussion

seqtt
Trusted Cover User
2 years ago
Solved

Deducting Monies in Lieu of Notice

When processing an ETP, you're usually PAYING the employee monies in lieu if they were terminated by the company, and so we assigned the Monies in Lieu of Notice payroll category to W1 in the Activity Statement fields. 

Under our EBA we are able to withhold monies in lieu of notice when an employee resigns without giving appropriate notice, so this is a DEDUCTION rather than a payment.

We processed a termination pay recently where no notice was given and entered a negative amount against the Monies in Lieu of Notice category.

When lodging the May IAS, the W1 amount calculated has not deducted the Monies in Lieu of Notice (see breakdown on the attached Payroll summary report).

Do I need to create a Payroll Deduction (so it is included as a W2 withheld amount) rather than using a negative amount in the Monies in Lieu of Notice Wages category so it will be recognized by STP?Activity statement fieldsCalculated PAYGW W1 amountPayroll summary report

• Hi seqtt 

On the Community Forum we encourage users to offer advice and assistance, as such you won't always receive and immediate reply from an MYOB Moderator. If you do require immediate assistance we recommend contacting our Live Chat or phone based teams.

Can you please try clicking on Update from ledger (above Prepare to lodge) to refresh the W1 field. Please let me know if that doesn't work. In the meantime, you can manually change the amount in the W1 field in order to lodge your IAS.

STP uses the ATO reporting categories to report payments so you would need to ensure the correct ATO reporting category is selected for that payroll category. I'd recommend checking the Summary of payments report (Payroll reporting centre>>EOFY finalisation tab>>click on the ellipsis for that employee) to make sure the YTD amounts are correctly reported.

Please let me know how you go.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    seqtt
    Trusted Cover User

We are holding back our May IAS and Payroll Tax payments until we have a response to this please.

I would rather process the payroll correctly befor lodging our tax obligations rather that have to resubmit an amendment the payroll was posted incorrectly

Steven_M. would you direct this to someone who can advise please?

Tracey_H
      Former Staff

Hi seqtt 

On the Community Forum we encourage users to offer advice and assistance, as such you won't always receive and immediate reply from an MYOB Moderator. If you do require immediate assistance we recommend contacting our Live Chat or phone based teams.

Can you please try clicking on Update from ledger (above Prepare to lodge) to refresh the W1 field. Please let me know if that doesn't work. In the meantime, you can manually change the amount in the W1 field in order to lodge your IAS.

STP uses the ATO reporting categories to report payments so you would need to ensure the correct ATO reporting category is selected for that payroll category. I'd recommend checking the Summary of payments report (Payroll reporting centre>>EOFY finalisation tab>>click on the ellipsis for that employee) to make sure the YTD amounts are correctly reported.

Please let me know how you go.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

seqtt
        Trusted Cover User

Hi Tracey_H ,

Thanks for your reply, and I apologise; I was unaware of the options for seeking more immediate help and will use those resources if needed in the future.

I've updated from the ledger as you suggested, and yes that solved the IAS problem.  

When I checked his Summary of Payments report however, the unused leave on termination has been recorded as paid rather than withheld. So again, if I set up a separate Deduction category for Monies in Lieu of Notice (similar to the ETP Tax Withheld) do you think this would resolve the problem?