Forum Discussion

Denise102
Experienced User
3 years ago
Solved

One or more payroll categories cannot be deselected as they have been used on recorded timesheets

I am trying to deselect a payroll category (tool allowance) for an employee.  I keep getting the above error message.  I don't use the timesheet function.
How can I fix this?

Sam_R
    3 years ago

HI Denise102,

What you can do in this case, head to the employee's card file > click into Payroll details > Standard Pay > zero out any amount that is against this category and press OK to save. This will stop you from having to manually override the fixed amount when processing your payroll. Example below:

Let me know if you have any further queries. 

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Sam_R
    Former Staff

Hi Denise102,

Thank you for your post. 

A payroll category cannot actually be removed from an employee’s card if it had ever been recorded on a timesheet for that employee. In the case it has been used previously, you could rename it and add zzz to the front of the wage category name (if no longer in use). This would put it at the bottom of the similar typed wage categories, which would help make it more obvious that the wage category wasn’t being used.

But, if it has never been recorded in a timesheet before, I would make sure there are no unprocessed Timesheets in your system that could be causing this error, even if they are blank without hours in them - you will need to delete these - to avoid the error. You can find these under Reports > Payroll > Unprocessed timesheets > Right-click on the timesheet and delete.

Once you have checked/deleted these, make sure your setup no longer has the timesheets preference ticked. You can check this by going to the Setup dropdown > Preferences > System > then make sure this is unticked next to "I use timesheets for...". You can now go back and try to deselect these categories. 

Let me know how you go with this, happy to assist with any further queries. 

Denise102
      Experienced User

Hi Sam_R

There are no unprocessed timesheets and the use timesheets for... is unticked.

Does this mean that every pay I process for this employee I will have to over ride the amount that is allocated to tool allowance to 0 (there is a monetary value in there as other employees use the tool allowance)?

Sam_R
        Former Staff

HI Denise102,

What you can do in this case, head to the employee's card file > click into Payroll details > Standard Pay > zero out any amount that is against this category and press OK to save. This will stop you from having to manually override the fixed amount when processing your payroll. Example below:

Let me know if you have any further queries.