Forum Discussion

pamos
Experienced Cover User
3 years ago
Solved

redundancy

I have processed a redundency payment classified etp tax free component after reading the ATO for hours in december 2020 and believing this was correct the employee qualified and did not have to pay tax on the payment.

the tax agent for the employee claims it is incorrect and should be lump sum D i changed the redundacy payroll catagorie to lump sum D and done a $0 pay run for 30.6.21

after resending it as a lump sum D the tax agent says it should be a tax free component.

i cant see how i can fix it as the lump sum D does not seem to have a tax free component.  I did not deduct tax from this $25,107.36 payment the tax agent says it should be both lump sum D and tax free component at bottom of certificate (but not etp tax free component) currently it is lump sum D and a etp taxable component

• Hi pamos 

Thanks for your post. When creating payroll categories for ETP payments you would generally create 3, ETP Taxable, ETP Tax Free and ETP Tax Withheld. Did you assign the Lump Sum D ATO reporting category to the ETP Tax Free payroll category? These help articles have detailed information on termination payments:

Creating payroll categories for termination payments 

Recording a final pay

Please let me know how you go with this.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi pamos 

Thanks for your post. When creating payroll categories for ETP payments you would generally create 3, ETP Taxable, ETP Tax Free and ETP Tax Withheld. Did you assign the Lump Sum D ATO reporting category to the ETP Tax Free payroll category? These help articles have detailed information on termination payments:

Creating payroll categories for termination payments 

Recording a final pay

Please let me know how you go with this.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

pamos
      Experienced Cover User

thanks for your help Tracey H

so to correct the problem would i reverse the original pay 3.12.20

follow the information and create the payroll catogories correctly and then redo the pay on the date it happened 3.12.20?.

I have un-finalised the empoyees end of year summary already.

then once i am satisfied it is correct re-finalise eoy pay

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi pamos 

That's correct, you will need to reverse and reprocess with the correct ETP payroll categories. When you reprocess the termination pay make the payment date a different date, eg the 2nd or 4th dec, to prevent any issues with the ETP.

Then refinalise the employee once the Summary of payments report is correct.

Please let me know if you need further help.