Forum Discussion

Robyn111
Experienced User
18 days ago

Changes

Hi there.

Yesterday i read the information about the changes to what Accounts and Chart of Accounts are going to be called.

I am horrified by this.  Accounts are Accounts.. NOT CATEGORY  Chart of Accounts is exactly that NOT CATEGORIES.

Accounts and Chart of Accounts are the basic fundamentals of Accounting. 

I would love to know what posessed the 'obviously Non Accountant or even Finance person' to change these to Category and Categories.  These DO NOT define Accounting and Accounting Packages.

It does not make it easier for anybody to use... i believe you have now caused a massive amount of confusion for all Finance Professionals and non professionals who use this package.

I am 100% against this ridiculous change.

9 Replies

TezzaB1
    Experienced User

100% agree.

An account is an account and definitely not a category.

Far from making things clearer & simpler - it serves only to create confusion and ambiguity.

What Einstein came up with this?   Seriously myob, you are a laughing stock!

Shella_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Robyn111 and TezzaB1,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the recent updates in MYOB, where we've transitioned from "Accounts" and "Chart of Accounts" to "Category" and "Categories." I understand that this change might be a bit confusing for those accustomed to traditional accounting terminology. However, our aim was to simplify the language to make it more accessible and user-friendly for everyone. We truly appreciate your understanding and patience during this transition period.

In the meantime, feel free to reach out if you need further assistance.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Kind regards,

Shella

Robyn111
      Experienced User

Accounting and Accounting Terminology is based on Worlwide Accounting Standards in case you were unaware.

What you have done is to create an ambigious  terminology for Worldwide users.

I might suggest if you do not want to lose many users that this decision is reversed.  

I for one do not want to start calling Accounts 'Category'.

Good luck with this one

gavin12345
        Ultimate User

Hi Robyn111 

I think the problem is MYOB is already losing a huge number of customers (due to horrendous support, poor software, fee increases, refusal to fix bugs etc etc) and they are brainstorming ways to reverse this trend. In my view the people at the top have lost the plot - some time ago.

Regards

Gavin

SammiB
      Trusted Partner

Isnt the so called  'traditional accounting terminology' still being taught at Uni, college, tafe?

So instead of improving your learning centre to help 'non bookkeeping users' to understand accounting terminology, Myob changes the accounting terminology to suit a small percentage of users.

Simplify the language, um how hard is it to understand 'Chart of Accounts'?

As Robyn pointed out - Accounts and Chart of Accounts are the basic fundamentals of Accounting. 

AmandaCL
    MYOB Moderator

Hey Robyn111 TezzaB1 gavin12345 SammiB

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about the recent changes.

The changes we made to the language within the product was done to help make it more intuitive for all types of users. A portion of our MYOB community is made up of small business owners who may not have had formal training in accounting or finance. We’ve found through user research that accountants and bookkeepers understood the changes, and use of ‘categories’, whereas small business operators may be confused by established accounting terminology.  

However, where the use of ‘accounts’ is required for compliance purposes, such as in reporting, we have used the established accounting terminology. These reports are typically used by experienced accountants and bookkeepers who will understand the deliberate use of this language in this context.

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Cheers, Amanda.