Forum Discussion

Paula3
Contributing User
3 months ago

Annual leave accrual for an employee who works permanent part-time and casual

Hello, 

Which is the best way to process the payroll for an employee who works part time and casual for the same company?

I separate the hours worked as permanent part-time and the hours worked as casual because there is a different pay rate, but MYOB accrues the total working hours for Annual Leave.

I just want to accue for annual leave the hours worked as permanent part-time in MYOB and not for the casual hours.

Could you please proved advice about this?

Thank you for your assitance.

1 Reply

Shella_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Paula3,

Thanks for your post.

My apologies for the late reply. I understand that you're trying to separate the accrual of annual leave for part-time and casual hours for the same employee. The following consideration might help:

• In MYOB, full-time and part-time employees get four weeks of annual leave for each year of completed service, based on their ordinary hours of work. For example, a part-time employee who works 20 hours per week for a year would be entitled to 80 hours of annual leave, the equivalent of four weeks of work. You calculate annual leave entitlements pro-rata based on an employee’s ordinary working hours.
    • For part-time employees, the annual leave accrues at the rate of 1.538 hours per completed week of service (80/52 = 1.538), which equals 0.3076 hours of annual leave per working day.
    • Casual employees, on the other hand, do not accrue paid annual leave but can apply for leave without pay for planned recreational leave.
    • If you have an employee who works both part-time and casual hours, you might need to manually separate these hours when calculating annual leave. The part-time hours would accrue annual leave, while the casual hours would not.
    • MYOB's cloud-based payroll software can automatically calculate payroll variables like superannuation, tax, and annual leave within your workflow. If something’s not quite right, like a negative annual leave balance, you’ll get a helpful warning message.

You may check out this helpful article on leave and entitlements. This will give you a full, detailed explanation and instructions on how you can manage the leave for both employees.

Let me know if you need further help.

Otherwise, if my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this.

Kind regards,

Shella