Forum Discussion

2 months ago

Balanced sheet not balanced

Hi Guys,

It seems that my balanced sheet is not balanced. I am not sure what to do. It started in the year 2016 and ever since the balance is off by $754.06.

Best Regards,

Duncan

2 Replies

Hannah_V
    MYOB Moderator

Hi, DuncanJ. Thank you for your post. 

The key to determining where the out-of-balance amount occurred is by narrowing it down to current or previous reconciliations.

Here's how to do this:

• Go to the Banking menu and choose Reconcile accounts.
    • Enter the Bank statement closing date as the same date as your Last reconciled date.
    • Enter your Closing bank statement balance as the closing balance on your Last reconciled date (you might need to check your previous bank statement for this).
    • Deselect all transactions on the Reconcile account page.
    • If there is no Out of balance, the problem is with your current reconciliation. If there is an Out of balance you'll need to check your previous reconciliations as a previously reconciled transaction may have been changed or deleted.

Here are some things to look out for:

• if this is your first reconciliation, check that your account opening balance doesn't include any uncleared transactions. If it does include uncleared transactions, change the account opening balance.
    • did you type the correct figure in the Closing bank statement balance field? You need to type the closing balance from your bank statement, not the opening balance.
    • did you enter the correct date (that of the closing balance from your bank statement) in the Bank statement closing date field? An incorrect date may prevent some transactions from appearing in the list.
    • did you select all the transactions that appear on the bank statement? If not, some transactions might not have been accounted for in the reconciled balance.
    • did you select, by mistake, a transaction that didn’t appear on your bank statement? If yes, you need to deselect this transaction.

Let me know if there's anything that I can assist you with and I'll be happy to help! 

If I'm able to help you today, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information. 

Best regards,

Hannah

gavin12345
      Ultimate User

Hi DuncanJ 

Despite suggestion by Hannah_V  (which seems to relate to bank reconciliation out of balances) if the balance sheet does not balance, this is because of a bug in the software, not user error. As such the file will need to be repaired. MYOB should repair for free as no properly working accounting software should ever result in an out of balance balance sheet. I have seen plenty of MYOB files with this issue - normally caused by a failed EndOfYear Adjustment journal. Suggest you check the 2015 and 2016 Net Profit figures and compare to end of year adjustment journal (1 July 2015 and 2016). 

There are other causes, however above is the most common.

Regards

Gavin