Partner Zone

Can't open non-password backup made with 2018.2

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
krt
3 Posts
User
Australia
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Can't open non-password backup made with 2018.2

Hi,

I made a backup with AccountRight 2018.2, saved ti without a password.

A .ZIP file is produced, inside a .MYOX file.

If I try to open that .MYOX file, I am prompted for a password.  Leaving this as "Administrator" and <blank> given an error.  I tried using my MYOB logon too, but also received the same error.

It looks like MYOB is unable to load it's own backups?!

What am I doing wrong ?

5 REPLIES 5
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
44,684 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

44,684Posts

6,148Kudos

6,680Solutions

Re: Can't open non-password backup made with 2018.2

Hi @krt

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a wealth of knowledge

With the new AccountRight, there are maybe two situations when restoring a file that will require a password, so just to ensure that we are on the same page I have included both situations where a password would be required.

When taking a backup a company file there is the option to add a password (1). This password will be prompted to be entered when restoring that file (2) and would need to be entered before you can continue to extract the file.

Note: that if that password is not remembered MYOB will not be able to extract that password and data contained in that backup file

Attachment.PNG

Attachment.PNG

Once you have restored the company file, you would be greeted with the company file login point. This will prompt you to enter your company file username and password (3). The information that is required would be the same information set up in Setup>>User Access for your User ID - the password being the one set in the password field or if the file has online the Set Offline password option. Note: the information required to be entered is what the current information was at the time of taking that backup not what it is now i.e. if you open and change the current company file that information and login details will not carry across to that backup file.

Attachment2.PNG

If that company file password on the restored file is not able to be remembered or guessed than we would need to arrange for the company file to be sent in for a paid password reset. Our MYOB data file repair services outlines that process and charges for that service. Do let us know if you would like for that to occur and we would be happy to arrange for that service to be started for you.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| My Account

krt
3 Posts
User
Australia
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for the response - this is the exact procedure I am following (no password specificed).  I make the backup (takes ages), and a .zip file is produced.

I unzip the .ZIP file, extracting the .MYOX file.

Then I try to re-open this in AccountRight 2018.2, there is no prompt for the file password. 

I am only prompted for a username & password (your 3rd screen-shot).

Entering my normal MYOB username & password does not work - it just says "The ID or password you entered is incorrect" but they are not.

I am just a normal user - not the administrator of the company file, does this prevent me from doing backups & restores ?

Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
44,684 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

44,684Posts

6,148Kudos

6,680Solutions

Hi @krt

When you say your normal username and password are you referring to your email address and password i.e. your AccountRight Live/my.MYOB login details?  If so, these are your AccountRight Live login details and don't need to be used for that sign in page. You would need to enter your company file user ID that you have set up in Setup>>User Access and the password you have entered in that Set Offline password window. If you are unsure as to these values you do need to speak to the Administrator of the company file.

In answer to your direct question, no being a "normal user" would not prevent you from restoring a backup. You may be prevented from taking a backup but restoring should be able to be completed by any user.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

krt
3 Posts
User
Australia
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Ok, thanks for the information.

I did not set an Offline Password at all.  Does this default to something?

So if I set the offline password to "fresh fruit", and say my user name was "Bob Roberts" with bob.roberts@example.com being my MYOB AccountRight cloud login (with another password), I would use the credentials "Bob Roberts" and "fresh fruit" to authenticate opening the offline backup ?

Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
44,684 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

44,684Posts

6,148Kudos

6,680Solutions

Hi @krt

The default username and password for a company file sign in is Administrator and no password i.e. select OK.

You are correct, if your set your offline password to be "xx" with your username set to be "abc", you would need to use username "abc" and "xx" when prompted to sign into the (offline) company file.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post