Partner Zone

Changing accountright to offline only. Do I still need 2 factor login.

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Daz152
Experienced Partner
53 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

53Posts

10Kudos

1Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Changing accountright to offline only. Do I still need 2 factor login.

We need to get around the 2 factor rubbish that MYOB has forced on us. Totally insecure and innappropriate in our case.

We have 3 computers networked that use AR and simply want to know if we take our datafile totally offline and block AR from the net, do we still have to get the 2 factor codes every half hour or can we simply use the password as we have done for years. 

We can always access it away using our VPN anyway. But not with 2FA unless I give access to everyone to my email.

P.S. No, setting up multiple users is not practicle as users can vary too much.  We have 1 administrator login and 1 general user login. Thats it for as many people as we need.

8 REPLIES 8
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator
13,473 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

13,473Posts

1,623Kudos

1,916Solutions

Re: Changing accountright to offline only. Do I still need 2 factor login.

HI @Daz152

As the 2FA login is specific to online files and services, if the file was running locally on either a local or network library then it would be able to be accessed without needing a 2FA login. Please note that if any online services were accessed on the local file then you would require the use of a 2FA login.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Daz152
Experienced Partner
53 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

53Posts

10Kudos

1Solutions

We don't really use any so called online services as many seem to cause more problems than solve, ie Bank Statements...

The only thing we need is access to the datafile from a number of locations.

A couple of queries I've been asked....

1. Is there a option to downgrade back to previous version of AR temporarily while we install offline systems and will that circumvent the 2FA system?

2. Can AR be run offline forever and is there an option to cease monthly payments if the application is not using your services and won't be upgraded etc. until customer requests.

3. Can a new datafile be created when the old one is removed from your servers. IE Fresh start once data transferred. Spring clean.

4. Once we setup AR server again, can we block internet access fully or does AR still track data back and forth to MYOB. We're looking at puting a small server befind our firewall for internal data only. (stop all these bad guys that are obviously trying to obtain our valuable data Smiley Happy )

Neil_M
MYOB Moderator
13,473 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

13,473Posts

1,623Kudos

1,916Solutions

HI @Daz152

Once a file has been upgraded to one version of AccountRight 201X, it cannot be downgraded or used in previous versions. If you required the use of a previous version for any reason then you would need to locate a backup of the file that used that version and enter in any missing transactions.

It depends upon the type of licence that you have as to whether or not you can continue to use AccountRight without a support agreement. If you purchased the product outright then yes you can cancel the subscription*. In contrast if the file was operating on a subscription licence then cancelling the subscription would cause the file to go into a read only mode, preventing the addition of new information.

Under your licence you will be entitled to activate a specific number of files. To activate additional files beyond this number you need to deactivate previously activated files or purchase additional activations. Please note that it is based upon file activations, so if a file was activated and then deleted it is still considered active and would need to be deactivated by our team before a new file can be activated in its place

As per the AccountRight system requirements internet access is required for AccountRight 201X files. Even if you are not using live services, other product features like the help system as well as the licence confirmation system do require internet access

*cancellations do have some criteria set out in sections 2 and 3 of the MYOB Cover terms and conditions

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Daz152
Experienced Partner
53 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

53Posts

10Kudos

1Solutions

Where can I find pricing on buying accountright 2017.2 outright for offline use.?

Does this ensure that the software continues to run beyond 12 months?

We don't need and online services beyond access to our system which we handle via VPN anyway.

Neil_M
MYOB Moderator
13,473 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

13,473Posts

1,623Kudos

1,916Solutions

HI @Daz152

If you were looking at upgrading from a subscription licence to a perpetual licence, this can be done by speaking with our team on 1300 555 123. A perpetual licence program still requires periodic confirmation however you can continue to use the file assuming the file confirms successfully. That said if you didn’t have an active support agreement you wouldn’t be entitled to any further updates of the program, which would include tax table updates.

The file would need internet access to confirm the file if nothing else. If a file cannot confirm successfully it will drop into a read only mode preventing any additional information from being entered into the file until the file is confirmed. If the file didn’t have internet access, it would only be able to be used until the next time a confirmation of the file was required. After that point it would drop into a read only mode, and you would need to give the file internet access to confirm the file

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Daz152
Experienced Partner
53 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

53Posts

10Kudos

1Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

One of the companies has decided to switch to an alternative internal solution that links with their POS etc as the AR system is just not suitable and becoming virtually unusable in some situations.

Another is switching to the server and virtual offline system for now.

THe third is plodding along with endless verification emails and has set up a common user system with standard password and oened access to the email on the system. Works but not ideal. (14 verification emails this morning only)

Thanks for help anyway.

Rowan123456
Contributing Cover User
13 Posts
Contributing Cover User
Contributing Cover User

13Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Bit of a late reply and would be interested to know if you got anywhere, but we purchased AR outright and was a lot better option than being online with slow internet. All was going well until we had to upgrade our computers, then of course to get AR back we had to purchase a subscription for at least 12 months. Cloud based doesn't suit us so we usally check the file out and share it by other means. You can't block them fully as they want to always verify your file, we turn off automatic and manually do it when it is requested, but no 2 factor.

Rowan

Neil_M
MYOB Moderator
13,473 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

13,473Posts

1,623Kudos

1,916Solutions

Hi @Rowan123456 

If you weren’t going to continue with your subscription, Id recommend keeping our downloads page bookmarked, and possibly even keeping a copy of the installers that you use. This would allow you to install the relevant version without the need to have an active subscription.

Files stored offline, will not require the use of 2FA authentication when logging in. That said certain online features may require the use of a 2FA login

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post