Partner PowerMyobBI
62 Posts
Partner

62Posts

18Kudos

2Solutions

Re: Who's thought of leaving MYOB ?

Hi @FAB 

You would be frustrated with MYOB AccountRight product if you been on it for a while. The first few years were probably a learning experience for a lot of people/users/developers.

I dont think you can say you had "no option" to go to AR Live, you were probably mis-informed somewhere through the sales/upgrade process.

I purposely kept alot of my clients off the initial product releases and have only just started converting users over to the latest version. My larger clients are running on premise server edition for MYOB AccountRight and combined with Microsoft Power bi and flow we have a great solution that allows managers to see business insights any time with a few clicks of the mouse.

Large files on the MYOB or any cloud system will be a problem with current technologies so i always recommend my clients store on premise if there business is complex, has large volume of transactions or needs particular reporting features.

There are alternative ways to synchronise Web data from backend solutions and update on premise solutions like MYOB but you need to obviously invest in upgrading your syncronisation method if you find the cloud doesnt fit the purpose.

I think the other point to remember is MYOB AccountRight product is really aimed at smaller type, less complex businesses and unfortunately if you shop around you will find out all solutions are moving to a subscription type service that will be subject to price rises.

How large is your data file ? I would be interested to know what is the largest file size people are using on the cloud.

A lot of users i know have gone to Xero but you cant actually talk to anyone @ Xero when you have a problem and you are directed to a web portal for all communications.

If you are going to change i would recommend you trial the software and contact the support desk of your preferred software package. This way you can atleast get a feel for what you will be up against.

MYOB has its issues but its community is probably what makes it the best solution for Australian users in my humble opinion.

Feel free to Private message me, if you want to discuss some options or alternatives. Good Luck!

Highlighted
Experienced Partner Ozchemist
24 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

24Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @PowerMyobBI 

Our company is a long term MYOB user (since the days when it come on floppy disks). We are currently on AR19.3.

We have always run MYOB (all versions) on our local server. We neither need nor wish to have files stored in the cloud - some of this is for security, some to manage dodgy internet access and some because, supposedly, local file access should run faster.

The problem, to me, seems too be that MYOBs file implementation lacks the utilities that should normally be implemented in a data structure - removal of old data, defragmentation and optimisation ("crunching" the file), simple fault checking, discrete re-indexing, etc. This would allow optimisation and minimisation of the file size (Lesson 1 in database management - small files run faster)

Add to this a list of ongoing faults, particularly in the inventory module (rounding errors), SQL timeouts (on a local server!), etc - and I can see where the frustration with this product is coming from.

The problem is that the MYOB "support" team - and that really is a loose interpretation of this sh*t-show - don't seem to actually be capable of anything but canned responses. The fixes and workarounds are mostly designed for "on-line" files (the most common one being to take the file off-line) and they still don't fix the underlying problem.

Simple things like checking the current .NET version in use should be automatic and easy for the people writing the upgrade software - ditto checking the SQL engine and assessing propper timeouts (maybe relate it to the file-size) - but don't leave it up to your customers to have to work out the patches for themselves!

My 2 cents worth (and - yes - if I could move away from MYOB to a more stable, faster platform I would - but SAP is too big for my budget).

Partner PowerMyobBI
62 Posts
Partner

62Posts

18Kudos

2Solutions

@Ozchemist 

I think your last sentence really sums up a lot of mistakes people make when choosing an accounting system.

"if I could move away from MYOB to a more stable, faster platform I would - but SAP is too big for my budget"

Matching peoples software expectations with the level of spend is always a difficult thing to explain to management and end users.

Most of the time the problem is bad advice, bad environment/implementation or just the bad/wrong choice.

My 2c, Match your solution requirements to your level of spend and you will come up with the right answer.

Experienced Partner Ozchemist
24 Posts
Experienced Partner
Australia
Experienced Partner

24Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

@PowerMyobBI 

Although, to be fair, most of the current problems didn't occur in MYOB until they changed the database design so they could port to the cloud (their push).

The old, local network, versions of MYOB (pre-AR2016) worked well and had all of the database optimisation built-in or, at least, easily accessed.

Believe me, I have run SAP and other database systems, including programming and building data structures, on machines large and small - what I see with MYOB is poor implementation of specific modules - predominantly the inventory module although their appear to be others - which moved MYOB from an "accounting" system to an "enterprise" system. That move was their decision and that's what they sold to customers. If they want to play in that space then they need to do it properly or admit to everyone that they are out of their depth.

Partner PowerMyobBI
62 Posts
Partner

62Posts

18Kudos

2Solutions

@Ozchemist 

I see mistakes being throughout its development but tell me a software company that doesnt make mistakes and i have worked in a few.

I'm sure you will find in the next few years everyone will be on the cloud- type solutions and data will be easily accessible for reports via API's. This is the structure of most of the big software systems out there use. There are all being migrated to the cloud and you will see this as competition for Amazon against Microsoft.

As your data set gets larger you need to look into aggregations of fact tables so it speeds up the reporting processes. This is where the Power BI desktop comes in.

The best thing about MYOB is you can run on your own business cloud or on a local machine hosted on Azure.

MYOB has a reasonable API which is accessible so i can build most reports that i need using Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Flow and Microsoft Power Apps.

Have you played around with the API @Ozchemist ? The intro of some of the foreign exchange end points has improved the reporting options available.

Experienced Cover User KChoice
22 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

22Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Garry

Numerous reasons multiple currency, open orders, Invoice layouts, have to upgrade 1 more computer to windows 10, the drop out issues people are having etc etc.  

Thanks

Kate

Partner PowerMyobBI
62 Posts
Partner

62Posts

18Kudos

2Solutions

@KChoice 

What are the particular issues with foreign currency you are experiencing? The Customer Sale endpoints for currency are all working correctly so far.

If your using the MYOB online solution then in some cases clients with larger datafiles & multi users are having problems with AccountRight 2019.

I would love to know the issues with open orders, invoice layouts and drop outs care to advise us more about your environment and products in use?

Experienced Cover User KChoice
22 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

22Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Garry

What Grace Senior Consultant told me that we have outgrown the current Myob and that we need to upgrade to the $30K Advanced Business Option.   This is not an option for us!

Our file size is about 394KB, which we are paying to get repaired tonight for an Index 16 error so the size may reduce a bit after being able to Optimise.  I then can hopefully get the STP program that we have had to purchase separately up and running and to become compliant!

Are you able to confirm that business's that use Multiple Currency are not having any issues using the Online Version of MYOB?  Have MYOB sorted all the issues regarding Invoice layouts etc?  

I have missed a call from MYOB today they are suppose to be calling back so I will see what they have to say before going any further.

Thanks

Kate

Experienced Cover User Albare
104 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

104Posts

38Kudos

1Solutions

If you have used the professional Invoice layout you cannot upgrade from V19.xx to AR2019.x without sourcing third party providers that will "edit" your company file.  And for those that upgraded very early on, no mention was made of purging old invoices to avoid lengthy online files now.

Just 2 I can think of while on the road.

Experienced Partner LynleyAveris
40 Posts
Experienced Partner
New Zealand
Experienced Partner

40Posts

7Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Who's thought of leaving MYOB ? Why are you backing up??

Hi Fab

I encourage my customers to backup monthly but the truth is that 95% of them probably never backed up - ever! .The only reason to backup daily would be if the file was huge (say > 1.6GB) and due to the sheer size the file was unstable. 

You must sync the file (as Mike said).

Personally I like a backup for a 'point of time reference'. So, if something really stuffs up I have a copy. 

Hope your having a better day today..

Lynley

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post