Partner Zone
Partner Zone

Comany File Duplicate Name

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Highlighted
hermanpeckel
4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
hermanpeckel
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Comany File Duplicate Name

Hi,

We recently "upgraded" from AccountRight v19 to AccountRight 2018. For the most part this went reasonably smoothly. We hit a bit of a snag with uploading our company file to the cloud, however. 

The current financial year file was named "CompanyName2017-2018.MYO". When it uploaded and converted, it then appeared in the online files as "CompanyName Pty Ltd". Ok, we can deal with that we thought. The problem occured when we went to upload the second company file from the previous financial year. This file was named "CompanyName2016-2017.MYO", all pretty standard stuff. After it uploaded we then received an error saying that we had two files of the same name. Ok...

I have tried calling support four times now. Each time I had to painstakingly describe the situation. Each time I was given a "solution" or put on hold for another hour and gave up. One of the solutions was to change our company name in the current file to "CompanyName Pty Ltd 2017-2018". This seemed like a total hack, but I gave it a try anyway. The file name appearing in AccountRight reflected this change, but when I uploaded the second file it got the same error.

I have all but given up on MYOB support. After being on hold for over an hour each time and getting nothing in the end, I am beyond frustrated. The other times I had requested a call back, I didn't get one. I understand not all problems can be solved immediately but there appears to be no follow up from them, nor help thus far.

I hate giving up on a problem but I feel like I have exhausted every angle on this one. If I have to spend another hour on hold with MYOB support I will probably get my accounts team to go back to manual record keeping Smiley Wink

If anyone has encountered a similar problem and discovered a work around, I would be more than grateful for details. If anyone knows of any other avenues I can try, please share. 

Thanks in advance

HP

3 REPLIES 3
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,378 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11378Posts

1301Kudos

1603Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved Solution

Re: Comany File Duplicate Name

HI @hermanpeckel

In the background of each file is a identifying number unique to all versions of that file. This number doesn’t change at any point, so if you had a file, and created a copy of it then both copies would have the same background identifier, which is being picked up by AccountRight when you upload the file.

So even if the different copies of the file had different file names, AccountRight will still see them as the same file name because they have the same background identifier. If you were wanting to have two copies of the same file, say last year and this year on the cloud occupying two different cloud slots you would need to change the background identifier through the following process.

1. First you will need another AccountRight serial number of the same level, such as premier. If you don’t have one you can obtain one by signing up for a test drive of AccountRight
  2. On the last year file, you will need to open it locally in your My Library and not try and upload it online.
  3. Once opened please go to Help >> Change Serial Number and change it to the alternate or test drive serial number. Doing this will prompt you to activate the file, to ensure that the serial number is valid.
  4. Using the same method as the previous step the serial number needs to be changed back to your existing serial number. This will prompt you to activate the file again under your existing serial number.

By activating this last year file again, it will turn it into a new file against your serial number, with a different background identifier and as a result should be able to be uploaded to the online library, so long as the company name in the file doesn’t exactly match any other uploaded file.

Do let us know how you get on with this

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

hermanpeckel
4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
hermanpeckel
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Neil,

Firstly, thank you very much for your prompt reply. 

What you say makes sense. I am assuming the accounts must do some sort of "save as" to create the next financial year's file. When they do this the file retains the same UID, therefore when we try to upload the second file we get an error. If they were to create a new company file for the next financial year, this file would have a "unique" UID and they could then put both files in the cloud. Is this correct?

I am ok with telling them they can't have a second file in the cloud, which I think is the path we go down. Thanks for your workaround anyway and, again, thanks for your help. 

HP

MYOB Moderator Neil_M
11,378 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

11378Posts

1301Kudos

1603Solutions

Hi @hermanpeckel

Best guess on what the accounts people are doing is either taking a backup and restoring that under a new name or taking a copy of the company file and renaming that. Either way in terms of what our system looks for in the background its all the same file.

If they were to create a new file, this would indeed have a new background identifier which would allow both files to sit in the cloud, and take advantage of the live services. Note that bank feeds from a specific account cannot be linked to more than one AccountRight file at a time.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post