Cover User
cyberfox
Cover User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

File you have chosen is not an AccountRight Plus company file V19.7

Good evening,

Having an issue with .MYO file that you may be able to give advice about.

*Background* 

Recently been hit with the latest ransomware so files have been "encrypted".

Backup drive was plugged in whilst this occurred so have no back up now (per-say).

even having antiviral software ect they managed to get through.

*Current Situation*

I have run a data recovery and located multiple back up zip files. (that are not encrypted).

I have tried to run a restore as suggested in other posts within this community, however, receive an error:

"The file you have chosen is not an AccountRight Plus company file".

Is there a way / is it possible to extract data from backup zip files and manually copy across to a new .MYO file ? 

Many thanks in advance.

and kind regards.

3 REPLIES
MYOB Moderator Neil_M
9,621 Posts
MYOB Moderator
Neil_M
MYOB Moderator

9621Posts

1040Kudos

1350Solutions

Re: File you have chosen is not an AccountRight Plus company file V19.7

Hi @cyberfox

Sorry to hear you got hit with a ransomware attack.

Generally speaking that message means that the selected file is not recognized as an AccountRight v19 file. This can happen if the file isn’t an myo file, or if the myo file has sustained damage or corruption preventing it from being correctly recognized.

Currently its not possible to extract the contents of one datafile and implant it into another. Given these files may have been impacted with the ransomware, it’s possible that the internal contents of the file have been damaged in some way.

If you had a potentially uncorrupted / undamaged unzipped file, there is one thing that you could try. When you installed AccountRight v19, one of the other tools that gets installed is the AccountRight v19 Optimisation Assistant. This tool is accessed through your Windows start menu, and under the corresponding AccountRight v19 product folder. This tool runs over your file and rebuilds it which may recover from this issue. If this doesn’t then it means that the file is too damaged to be recovered by the tool.

Regards,
Neil

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

cyberfox
2 Posts
Cover User
cyberfox
Cover User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. I thought as much I just wanted to make sure.

I'm looking at the Hex Header of the file and yup it's corrupt. 

But searching through the Hex I can see the relevant and correct data so I am presuming just the header is corrupt.

Long shot but would you be able to provide the hex codes for the .myo header?

Or if possible let me know the hex file structure of the header. 
for example, Microsoft Database header hex begins with "53 74 61 6E 64 61 72 64 20 4A 65 74"

https://asecuritysite.com/forensics/magic

Kind Regards

Matt

Ultimate User gavin12345
2,393 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2393Posts

1848Kudos

349Solutions

Hi @cyberfox

.myo files use a proprietary database and do not have a standard header. The first 32 bytes are the file size then next 32 bytes are zeroes followed by location of the last record.

When opening a file MYOB looks for a number of records which are at predetermined locations. The beginning of the file has some 50 tables (.dat) and indexes (.idx). MYOB checks for a number of things and unless it finds them, it tells you this is not an AccountRight company file.

Unless you can find the entire file, your chances of getting a working copy is minimal. Hard disk recovery software has a poor track record when it comes to recovering .myo files due to the file structure.

If you think you have a working file, your best bet is to see if it can be repaired. Here is a link to MYOB's data repair service https://www.myob.com/au/support/data-file-repair-services

Regards

Gavin

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post