40 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Trusted User

40Posts

12Kudos

3Solutions

No more check-out option??

If I'm reading the information for the 2020.2 update right, the removal of the check-out option means that nobody can work on the file anymore if the internet drops out. Is this correct? Previously, it just reverted to the administrator and was synced later.

So it seems that the only options now are to either keep the file offline, or pray that the internet keeps working - or else we're stuffed. Is this correct? The internet at our clinic is shaky and we need MYOB to bill clients throughout the day. Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Ultimate User
3,187 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

3,187Posts

2,271Kudos

442Solutions

Re: No more check-out option??

Hi @Acu-ease 

Syncing is what kept an up to date mirror copy of your online file in a certain offline location.  If the internet was down you could switch to the synced file and use that offline until internet access was restored and that offline file was then 'moved' online, updating the current online file.

With AR2020.2 and later you need to be able to anticipate internet outages etc and create a current backup of your online file immediately before the outage. This way during the outage you can restore the backup, add transactions etc and then when the outage is over, create a new backup and restore that new backup online, thereby replacing the earlier online file.

Of course any transactions entered between the last backup and the outage would be lost and would need to be re-entered. To make matters worse, in order to backup the online file, all users need to be kicked out - so frequent backups (the solution to no syncing) is negated by the ability to actually do frequent backups.

Many agree the new system is completely unworkable. MYOB's explanation for the reasons is also not very credible.  MYOB's hybrid system (that allows online and offline use) is becoming more of a alternate system (fully online like Xero etc) or fully offline like desktop MYOB. 

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
Trusted User
40 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Trusted User

40Posts

12Kudos

3Solutions

Hi Gavin

"With AR2020.2 and later you need to be able to anticipate internet outages etc and create a current backup of your online file immediately before the outage." Smiley LOL ROFL That's a good one!

Seriously though, you're essentially saying we could just use it offline and export/import transactions to the online file, if it's being used in more than one location? There would really only be one location where we're working with the recorded data, the others would just be for entering transactions. I suppose we could eliminate duplicate transaction numbers by adding a location/user prefix during import. It would be nice if this was an option linked to each person's login for this to happen automatically.

The hybrid system was very useful for locations with poor internet. IT companies these days seem to have the unrealistic belief that everyone has uninterrupted internet at all times...

Regards,

Annette

Highlighted
Experienced User
18 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

18Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing up this issue.  We are experiencing frequent (NBN) outages today and during the last week, at the same time as the second largest of our customers was the target of a cyber attack.  If the internet goes down everywhere, will we be able to use our MYOB AR files offline?  I use 7 such files for different companies, and am fearful that coming up to EOFY something horrible is going to happen.  

Should I be backing up to my computer and/or external drive every day, continuously, or whatever, and if I do, will I be able to use the files offline if and when the worst happens?  I was always unhappy about having to use a cloud-based product; now I suspect my misgivings will be proven correct.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Trusted User
40 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Trusted User

40Posts

12Kudos

3Solutions

What about the tax tables? How do we get those if we use an offline file?

Highlighted
Ultimate User
3,187 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

3,187Posts

2,271Kudos

442Solutions

Hi @Acu-ease 

I honestly can't think of a realistic way to efficiently handle a situation where users from multiple locations need to access the same company file.  Exporting transactions from a local file to an online file is fraught with risks and needs to be extremely well managed. 

When you know you need to take the online file offline, this is reasonably easy to manage, make a backup and restore offline. Not sure if there is a mechanism to prevent others logging into the online file while you are working with the offline copy- previously the file had a 'checked out' status and others would know they cannot make changes to the file.

When the unexpected happens - well that's another rather complicated story.

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
Ultimate User
3,187 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

3,187Posts

2,271Kudos

442Solutions

Hi @vicki 

As a minimum I would recommend starting a backup at the end of every day. This way when you come in the next morning, if the internet/MYOB servers are down, you have an up to date backup to use until the system is back online. If you made changes, you will need to create a new backup and restore that online to replace the current online file.

Regards

Gavin

Highlighted
MYOB Moderator
3,821 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,821Posts

588Kudos

584Solutions

Hi @vicki and @Acu-ease 

We have removed the ability to check in/check out your company file because Microsoft no longer supports the technology that enables you to do this. Your business data is too sensitive to be exposed to unsupported, obsolete technology. 

You will still be able to use your AccountRight company file offline. You will need to take a backup of the online file (File>>Backup) and restore that file locally (File>>Restore and restore into a library on your computer). You can then restore the file online when you required. This is opposed to the check in/out system that is being removed.

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Highlighted
Ultimate User
3,187 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

3,187Posts

2,271Kudos

442Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

And what do users do if MYOB servers are down - previously they could use their synced copy.

MYOB really need to make clear these changes and what it actually means for users - simply saying it is no longer available is one thing - clearing explaining how to manage without it is another. Most importantly what precautions users need to take to ensure their data is up to date. For example procedures to ensure a user doesn't keep a local copy and an online copy and mix up which file they are using.

And how do other users know not to use the online file when some one has restored a backup locally to do some work locally and intends to restore online. Previously Check Out took care of this.

I fear many more users will soon be complaining about 'transactions missing' - esp without adequate explanation from MYOB.

Regards

Gavin

Experienced User
18 Posts
Experienced User
Australia
Experienced User

18Posts

5Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your replies of late, to which I havent had a chance to respond.  Yes, I do backup every day, even more strictly given the possible insecurity of any data held in the 'cloud' following recent worldwide developments.  Thank you.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post