4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Cover User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Server Installation Redundancy

We have recently moved from AccountRight Premier V19 (multi-user install in Windows server environment) to MYOB AccountRight 2021.1 SE (in Windows server environment).

We have regular backups in place and don't envisage putting any MYOB components or services in the cloud.

We would like to build in some redundancy for MYOB in case our Windows server fails. As long as one user can still access a most recent copy of the MYOB company file we can keep operating.

In the v19 implementation there was a separate MYOB installation at each client. If the company file was not accessible on the server we could revert to a backup copy on the local client to keep things running.

Our questions follow :

What is the preferred strategy to incorporate this redundancy (coming from a 2021.1 SE install environment) ?

. Will MYOB SE 2021.1 still run on the client and we just have to point the library to a local copy of the .myox company file ?

. Will we have access to all our custom forms ?

. Do we need to make a separate install of the PC Edition to one existing SE client to achieve this ?

We look forward to your advice.

3 REPLIES 3
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
40,421 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

40,421Posts

5,478Kudos

5,969Solutions

Re: Server Installation Redundancy

Hi @MCF_TB 

It does depend on the network configuration but typically you would have the Server Edition installed on the individual workstations and host (server) machine. Assuming the server does fail the individual workstations users could revert to the local workstations.

The big thing you would need to think about would be the actual myox/company file. As this would be stored on the server. If that server failed you wouldn't have access to that company file thus those individual workstations wouldn't be able to open that file. The easiest thing would be to get users to take a backup of that file and store it locally (File>>Backup within the file). This way if the server does fail then you could restore that latest backup locally and then have one of those workstations a host machine to share the file.

Another configuration you could have would be if you have it all installed and stored on the server. If the server failed you would need to install the program on the workstations to access the file pulled from a backup or the server in some way.

You mentioned customise forms, these will not be a problem with AccountRight 2021 as these are part of the myox file.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

MCF_TB
4 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Cover User

4Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you for the prompt reply.

We performed some rudimentary testing by copying the .myox file from the server to a local machine, starting MYOB AR SE on the local machine and then pointing to the local copy of the .myox file.

That seemed to work.

We are not sure if when the server is disconnected from the network (simulating server down) if MYOB AR SE on the local machine will complain (given the number of MYOB AR SE related Windows Services that are normally required to be running on the server).

We will do some more testing with a server disconnect when time allows to evaluate further.

The_Doc
Ultimate Partner
1,158 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,158Posts

245Kudos

132Solutions

Hi @MCF_TB 

I am not sure this question has been answered fully - though Steven has answered what you asked - though I don't believe you asked all the questions - or are missing some important information in your questions.

People are often confused by the meaning of a peer-to-peer network environment; a Server - PC network environment or a true thin client network environment.

Your questions didn't clarify this although I suspect you are running a Server - PC environment - and if you ran V19 that way it would have run like a dog with 2 legs - and we in the Certified Consultant realm got rid of this and went to a true Terminal Server thin client environment.

If you are running a PC - to Server environment - then Steven answered your question; however, if you are not running a terminal server environment - that would be my suggestion - and under that you do not need to install MYOB on your PC.

You simply logon to the server as a thin client user and MYOB 2021.2 SE is installed once on the server.

Templates are built into the myox file so are no longer a problem.

The MYOB file is stored on the server but there is no network running of the MYOB - it is all local.

Of course if your server crashes - I would worry about getting that recovered completely - which should be a lot easier and quicker than trying to recover an MYOB file and trying to then install this on a PC and getting that configured with SE installed on that PC so all on the network can see it - which in a terminal server environment there is no need to install MYOB except on the server.

Remember if the server goes down in any situation - you got to recover that current file from that dead server - to then resotre it to some PC to the nget everyone up and going.

I would think your priority would simply to get the server going - restored - or rebuilt ASAP as a priority.

And finally - if you store your MYOB file in the MYOB cloud none of this is a problem - and yes I have experienced every component of failure in all environments I am describing ( I have been using MYOB on PCs, Servers, in the Cloud for over 25 years).

Put the file in the MYOB cloud - if the Server goes down (as a terminal server) individual PCs can access it so long as they have a current install of the updated MYOB version - SE I would recommend.

Hope this gives you some more food for thought but I think what you are trying to achieve is barking up the wrong tree.

Finally - if you run all your services in a cloud environment - servers that is - servers are virtual - you can recover them in 5 minutes.

The Doc

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post