Experienced Cover User
Australia
Queries1234
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Speed

After months and months of frustration at the incredibly slow speed of MYOB AccountRight Live both locally and cloud-based, I have decided to look at moving to another provider. I am a bookkeeper and this is my livelihood, I cannot continue to work at such a slow pace, and the support from MYOB seems to have been exhausted. With fees increasing, the stress of moving to a new product now seems the easier option.

This post is to once again highlight to MYOB the speed issues that I am having, and I hope that other users who are ruing the day they moved from AccountRight Classic will reply to this post and let MYOB know too.

Some examples of the chronic speed issues I face are

-to change date on 20 sales invoices - 13 mins

-to enter 11 x13 line general journals from a recurring transaction (changing account number and $ value only) - 25 mins

-to enter 1 spend money transaction - 1min 32 secs

- words are appearing blacked out

- I type faster than MYOB can cope with

I have a high spec machine, and have followed all the advice from MYOB. I have scoured the internet for any other information and have the minimum running on my laptop.

11 REPLIES
Trusted User Elizabeth_Adamson
217 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson
Trusted User

217Posts

111Kudos

8Solutions

Re: Speed

I totally agree with you. The profit motive seems to be paramount and there is little admission of major problems by MYOB which indicates arrogance and customers will leave as a result of not being listened to. It is a pity when the classic version is so fast and functional.

I know I sound smug but I have kept all of my clients on v19 without support for several years now and as they are all  very small businesses they are very happy to keep going with this version for as long as possible. One client did upgrade to AR2011 and ended up re-entering 3 months of data as he just couldn't bear the lack of speed and running a farm didn't allow him to sit for hours on a computer. Maybe the programme will run at an acceptable speed eventually without all the bugs but it really doesn't seem likely in the near future so I am going to continue to find the "workarounds" to stay on the classic version. The only thing I say to everyone is BACKUP, BACKUP , BACKUP. It is essential when there is no support.

Cheers

Liz

Ultimate Partner GDay53
1,623 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
GDay53
Ultimate Partner

1623Posts

1741Kudos

358Solutions

@Queries1234

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find plenty of useful information.

Sorry to hear that you have speed issues.

I actually find the AccountRight to be quite good as far as speed is concerned when compared to other programs even the Classic V19, and like you I am a Bookkeeper and make my living by doing the books for lots of companies.

As an example I have just tested the speed to change the date on 20 Sales Invoices - something you mentioned in your post took 13minutes.

My timings are from opening the first invoice to closing the last.

My results are as follows

Account Right 2018.3 - 2 minutes 13 seconds

Classic V 19 -  4 minutes 12 seconds

Xero - 4 minutes 52 seconds

Reckon 1 - 5 minutes 27 seconds

Quickbooks - 5 minutes 46 seconds

The main time difference was in the workflows. In AccountRight 2018.3 I was able to open all 20 invoices then change the dates and close. Where as all others I had to open each invoice one at a time.

MYOB Classic V 19 was recognised as the fastest desktop accounting program back when it was first introduced, and some individual transactions are still faster than in Account Right 2018.3.

But with all the online features, Bank Feeds and others that are now in Account Right 2018.3 the overall speed of the package is much faster.

Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
Experienced Cover User Queries1234
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Queries1234
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks for taking the time to check your speeds. It's great to know that it does work in some circumstances. I just wish I knew why mine didn't react as quickly as your setup.

Experienced Cover User Queries1234
14 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Queries1234
Experienced Cover User

14Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Thanks Liz, I have a few clients I’ve kept on Classic, but I shifted to Live for some files that I moved around with. The classic versions were corrupting living on a USB. I don’t move anymore and I wish I could revert back!
217 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson
Trusted User

217Posts

111Kudos

8Solutions

That's a pity regarding the USB. I tend to either travel to clients, or login remotely with Teamviewer and I have a couple that email the backup and I send back within a couple of days while they hold off processing - usually over the weekend because they are farmers so they don't need to process over the weekend. We are rural so internet speeds and reliability is a huge issue for on-line processing which is why many have held off from these versions despite the supposed upgrade to NBN! I will private message you regarding some info that may be of use regarding older versions.

Cheers

Liz

Ultimate Partner GDay53
1,623 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
GDay53
Ultimate Partner

1623Posts

1741Kudos

358Solutions

@Queries1234@Elizabeth_Adamson

I forgot to mention that I am on the NBN and pay for 100mbps but rarely get more that 50mbps.

Most days, and I check it daily, it is around 30 - 40 mbps. So it is ok not nowhere near where it should be.

I have all but about 12 clients on the AccountRight 2018.3.

A couple have server based software but i can log in remotely to the server so no major problem there.

Using a USB is not the best way to transfer files they corrupt way too easy.

Graeme Day
Registered BAS Agent #24745540
First Class Accounts Clayfield
Mobile: 0402 841 627
gday@firstclassaccounts.com
MYOB Certified Consultant
MYOB Diamond Partner
Ultimate User gavin12345
2,287 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
gavin12345
Ultimate User

2287Posts

1786Kudos

341Solutions

Hi @Queries1234@Elizabeth_Adamson and @GDay53

Just to throw in my 2 bobs worth. Comparing speeds in isolation is unrealistic. Much depends on things like internet speed, online or desktop, whether you use 1 line Service invoices or 300 line Item invoices, whether company file is on a HDD or and SSD, and probably most importantly the size of the company file. You would need to be comparing identical files in identical environments for a realistic comparison.

Users with small and simple AR2018 files will get acceptable speeds as @GDay53 indicates. It is those with large files and more complex files that really struggle with AR2018. MYOB does not do enough research and testing on real live client files - it is good to hear they are starting a project to investigate these issues, hopefully they will use real files and not clearwater.

In terms of v19 and limited support after Sep 2019, hopefully file repairs by MYOB will continue, if not there is always a 3rd party myob file repair service available. Backup regularly anyway as @Elizabeth_Adamson advises.

In terms of USB, there is nothing wrong with storing or transferring a company file on a USB drive and moving from client to client etc. The problem is if you try to run the file from the usb drive.  I always create a temp folder on the client's computer, copy file from usb drive to temp folder, run myob using file in temp folder. When done, copy file back to usb and delete temp folder. A bit of work involved but once you have your procedure in place and follow it, you won't have any problems. Applies to .myo or .myox company files.

Regards

Gavin

217 Posts
Trusted User
Australia
Elizabeth_Adamson
Trusted User

217Posts

111Kudos

8Solutions

I agree with @gavin12345 regarding USB. I have never had a corruption but I never work from the USB. I generally just keep a copy on my system for backup and if the accountant has queries. We are in a small regional city so the live files stay on the client's system as a general rule. Plus I do tend to rename files as OLD ABC Co. before I copy something onto a live system just in case I make a boo boo. So far all has gone well. Zipping and emailing can work for my clients as well as they don't have huge files that are too big to be emailed as a backup.

Regarding NBN - we are right in town near a node and pay for 60Mbps and we are currently LUCKY to get 20Mbps. Today it is 15Mbps and we get a lot of drop outs so not looking to do any MYOB processing on-line in a hurry.

MYOB needs to listen to their clients as the product just isn't up to scratch for what clients have been paying and are continuing to pay more for.

Cheers

Liz

Experienced Cover User HeatherDBS
97 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
HeatherDBS
Experienced Cover User

97Posts

26Kudos

0Solutions

@GDay53

How did you open 20 invoices at once rather than individually?

Thanks.

@GDay53 wrote:

The main time difference was in the workflows. In AccountRight 2018.3 I was able to open all 20 invoices then change the dates and close. Where as all others I had to open each invoice one at a time.

Didn't find your answer here?
Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post