Refund a deposit of an order

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
JustStarted
Experienced User
14 Posts
Experienced User
Malaysia
Experienced User

14Posts

2Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Refund a deposit of an order

Hi there, 
I got a question here. Fyi, the nature of the business is school tuition. The account closing date is on 31/12/2018.
The customer have deposited for booking fee for Jan 2019 on 30 Sept 2018.
So I created an order and recorded payment. But he happened to pull out and asking for refund.
Is it right if I recorded another credit note, and just select "pay refund" for the transaction? (Or I need to use spend money and use linked account "deposit tuition sales")
The refund transaction date was 31/12/2018.
I got confused because the refund transaction still appears in my trade receivable.
Is it because I haven't convert the order into invoice?

1 REPLY 1
Steven_M
MYOB Moderator
40,149 Posts
MYOB Moderator
New Zealand
MYOB Moderator

40,149Posts

5,447Kudos

5,932Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Refund a deposit of an order

Hi @JustStarted

When you create an order no accounts are affected, it's only when you convert that to an invoice that the accounts are affected. If a payment is placed against that transaction when it is still at an order phase the payment is basically placed into holding until that invoice is converted.

The way I would process your situation would be:

1. Convert that order into an invoice
  2. Generate a (manual) credit note for the customer i.e. a negative invoice for the refund amount
  3. Process that refund/credit note amount via Sales>>Sales Register>>Returns and Credits>>Pay refund.

The above process may be something that you want to speak to your advisor/accountant in regards to.

Kind regards,
Steven

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post